Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    And now we see on the front page of this site, the PalmPad is going to be offered on Sprint (at least). Anyone really want to claim that Sprint's not going to have some new HPalm phones as well?
    The future of HP and Palm will flourish if they merge their devices. This will also eliminate the need to choose between a laptop/tablet and a slate/palmpad. HP should develop a tablet PC with a removable screen. As a laptop it can run Windows, as a tablet you can choose from both Windows or WebOS and when the screen comes of it can run WebOS with apps that allow users to run some of Microsoft's programs like word or excel.

The problem these days is that if you want to keep up with all the tech coming out you have to buy a bunch of different devices. Before you know it you are carrying a suitcase full of devices that are meant to do different things. I would pay a significant amount to have a device that allows me to do work, play games, surf the web, and use apps all in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The idea that they would have to have not yet bothered to buy a smartphone is what's absurd.

How about they have a smartphone, decide to get a tablet, and decide they like the OS. Then they discover that the tablet and the phone compliment each other, and work together.

I suspect your desire for "all bad Palm/HP" is blinding you to some of the possibilities.
    Also the use of a tablet is different, requireing a lot less apps. The only apps required on a tablet are good, solid, usable PIM applications that syncs its data to the cloud.
    Quote Originally Posted by LzrdOB1 View Post
    The future of HP and Palm will flourish if they merge their devices. This will also eliminate the need to choose between a laptop/tablet and a slate/palmpad. HP should develop a tablet PC with a removable screen. As a laptop it can run Windows, as a tablet you can choose from both Windows or WebOS and when the screen comes of it can run WebOS with apps that allow users to run some of Microsoft's programs like word or excel.

The problem these days is that if you want to keep up with all the tech coming out you have to buy a bunch of different devices. Before you know it you are carrying a suitcase full of devices that are meant to do different things. I would pay a significant amount to have a device that allows me to do work, play games, surf the web, and use apps all in one.
    This, honestly, sounds like a logistical, architectural, and support nightmare waiting to happen.
    Just curious what is in store on Jan 6, 2011 for HP and Palm...I guess we will continue to speculate even after that date...Hopefully, we finally will finish beta testing webOS...
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Also the use of a tablet is different, requireing a lot less apps. The only apps required on a tablet are good, solid, usable PIM applications that syncs its data to the cloud.
    actually it requires more because each 'app' is purpose- built to do one thing. For example, an app for hulu, another for netflix, etc rather than a general purpose office sweet and a monolithic browser with a bunch of pligins and active-x controls.

btw, with a huge app catalog, your customers can do stuff like this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?client=mv-google&xl=xl_tsp&v=owboALviA8U

that's worth more in advertising than a superbowl ad, IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Someone should tell all of those iPad app developers that they are totally wasting their time - nobody needs them.
    Quick aside, but the last time I did a studio session with some friends of mine, one of them pulled that iRig/Amplitube/iPad combo out for a goof, and it was a little underbaked. Not to say that the concept isn't solid - it totally is. But that's an app and interface that a need a whole lot more tweaking to be competitive with even an entry-level amp/effects modeler like a Behringer V-Amp or a Zoom G1.
    There is a device out there that has Linux as its main OS and when the screen is removed it runs its tablet on Android OS. Is it is challenge, yes. Can it be done, obviously others are trying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LzrdOB1 View Post
    There is a device out there that has Linux as its main OS and when the screen is removed it runs its tablet on Android OS. Is it is challenge, yes. Can it be done, obviously others are trying it.
    But Android has Linux at its base. The difference between x86/Wintel stuff and ARM/Linux/WebOS is a bit more pronounced. Again...not saying it can't be done, but HP already tried putting a custom Linux quick-boot build on their notebooks before. It didn't last long.
  10.    #30  
    For an Pad you need even more Apps. A pad is not a PC, and when you do not have apps it is just a boring big screen. Why carring it around when you just can surf/watch somthing on it.

I hope that with the pad there will be more "big" developers coming to webOS and so also more app for the smartphones. This could result in many apps, which is good for marketing, which itself can raise the selling numbers. With higher selling numbers, the OS gets even more attractive for developers, which results in more apps, and so on ... its the "iphone effect" and could lead hp to a hole new level.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12