1.    #1  
    So its been a year since I have had my Pre.

For a while, updates made my battery life get better, then something started happening. My battery life got worse, and worse, and worse.

I replaced my battery with a Mugen 1400 thinking it was just getting old. It wasnt that. Got a new Pre. Still bad.

I slowly figured it out.

Facebook Notifications. Google Talk. Facebook Chat. Twitter notifications. Pack and Track Notifications. Google Latitude Auto update. Weather Dashboard Auto update. FlightView Notifications. Palm Backups. Google Calendar syncing.

Our little pocket devices shouldnt be the ones to have to take all of this data in from other sources in the background and process it, update it, notify it, sync it. That is so stupid.

This should all be done at a server somewhere, and pushed to our phones only when they need to know about it.

Where is Mojo Push?

With WebOS 2.0 and synergy bringing our phones to the next level of syncing, our batteries are gonna last 5 minutes.

We need Push more than ever Palm.

HP: all those people you just sent to Palm from the Home Server department, get them to build a push server system.

We need it, bad.
    I think Rubinstein likes to blame battery technology. “Battery technology has not progressed at the same rate as all of the other things we are trying to do.” - Ruby
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Agreed. Sadly, I don't hear any murmurs.
    This was promised so long ago.... i wonder if that has to do with BB's longer battery life?

This would be a great part of that integrated solution but I wonder how the apps would hook into it. Hmm..

In any event, it would put HP in a good place WR to apple and microsoft currently, although microsoft tried with the Kins
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    You implement your own push notifications-featured app. However it requires the app to be open, or alternatively, a dashboard to be loaded.

Neato uses such push notifications.

As for how it's done, you've got 2 options. You can use PubSub (thought you only get 50,000 requests for free, then have to pay for extra). The second option would be hosting your own server. Perhaps you could even use GAE. A tutorial on building your own push server can be found here.

In the end, unfortunately, there's no global push notification support, for when an app is closed and there's no dashboard.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Thank you Jason.

It would be convenient if Palm included a page of services, those which you could activate and deactivate to run as headless apps even when you close them, like a toggle list where you can choose if twitter, facebook, etc can notify you of updates.

I know this goes against the card metaphor but technically there are many "services" in the background that we never see even currently.

There could even be a limit to the number of cycles (or battery power basically) the headless app can use if Palm so chose.

I'm being dangerous, talking without mastery so I hope you'll excuse any ridiculous notions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Thank you Jason.

It would be convenient if Palm included a page of services, those which you could activate and deactivate to run as headless apps even when you close them, like a toggle list where you can choose if twitter, facebook, etc can notify you of updates.

I know this goes against the card metaphor but technically there are many "services" in the background that we never see even currently.

There could even be a limit to the number of cycles (or battery power basically) the headless app can use if Palm so chose.

I'm being dangerous, talking without mastery so I hope you'll excuse any ridiculous notions.
    Nothing ridiculous about that -- that's exactly how iOS handles push notifications.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    The only issue Jason, to implement such long-polling systems for a service like Facebook, we would have to store our Facebook credentials on a 3rd party system.
    Certain services which only need one webserver to complete its designated task will be able to use long-polling techniques. Facebook doesn't support such a thing.
    Have you tried to reduce the frequency at which apps check back with their respective servers to receive notifications? For example, setting your email app to check for email every 30 minutes instead of five minutes.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Have you tried to reduce the frequency at which apps check back with their respective servers to receive notifications? For example, setting your email app to check for email every 30 minutes instead of five minutes.
    I thought the whole idea behind push is that an sms message would be sent to the phone when an email comes in. This notification, instead of showing up in your text messages, tells your mail app that a new email has arrived and it updates. Isn't this different from polling on an interval as you suggest rsanchez?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I haven't heard of push working like that. The way I understand it, an app maintains a long-term connection with a web server that serves data for that app, and whenever the data is updated, the server sends the update along on that connection, so instead of polling the web server, the web server tells the app in real-time. It is most definitely different from polling.

My suggestion was more for him to extend the battery life for now, as a quick fix, not to tell him what push is...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    .... i wonder if that has to do with BB's longer battery life?
    THIS. You are very correct.