1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can create a mode for me that I can then import into Mode Switcher? I ask for help since I am trying to set the mode up in Mode Switcher but I'm not doing it exactly right and could use some help. Here is what I want:

I want to put my phone on a touchstone (yes, the Touchstone is in my car) that is connected via USB to a DC plug (the ones in the car). Can Mode Switcher detect the difference between DC and AC power?

Once it recognizes it's in a car (and not just sitting on a Touchstone since that would trigger this on my Touchstone at home and work), I want it to turn on GPS and Bluetooth. It then needs to turn on the Sprint Navigation App and a music program (which I will specify myself in Mode Switcher since I know how to do this).

I would want this all to be undone when it's lifted from the Touchstone, at which point it will return to the default profile.

If someone experienced in Mode Switcher would like to help set this up and send it to me that would be great, or walk me through it or talk to me about it more in depth, that would be a huge help!
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    I Actually do that very thing. Only my triggers are "Not connected to WiFI" and "On a Touchstone oriented to the left". It cannot tell the difference between AC or DC currents however.

I can send you my save/restore file for Mode Switcher which you can place into your save/restore file in USB mode and then Restore mode switcher. You will lose all your other Mode Switcher profiles though.

P.S. The Not connected to WiFi serves to tell my phone that I am not home. When it is connected to WiFi and on a charger in any orientation it stays on Home profile. I chose Left Orientation because in case I dont want all of driving apps to turn on I can place it on the charger in the car in any other orientation and my phone wont go into driving mode.
  3.    #3  
    Shaikh

Can you send me that file? I don't have a lot set up in Mode Switcher so I wouldn't mind refreshing it. Shame about the DC/AC currents issue though, that would be amazing since that would be the best way for it to know it's in a car.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slk24kgj View Post
    Shaikh

Can you send me that file? I don't have a lot set up in Mode Switcher so I wouldn't mind refreshing it. Shame about the DC/AC currents issue though, that would be amazing since that would be the best way for it to know it's in a car.
    I never thought about the AC/DC differentiation. Your right, that would be amazing! And when I said that it cannot tell the difference I meant that it doesnt tell the difference as of right now. I dont know enough about how it works so if it can tell the difference someone may add that functionality. Which would be awesome!

Yes Ill send you the save/restore for it. Give me a few minutes

Do you want the "left orientation TS Charging" and the "Not connected to WiFi" in there as well?

Keep in mind, when you Restore with my file your Default settings will need to be redone to what you want it to be since they will change to mine.
    Last edited by Shaikh; 12/17/2010 at 04:43 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Shaikh

You can leave off the Wifi trigger since I don't use Wifi often (good Sprint service at my apartment). I also might change the orientation to right or something else, I just hate how the lock screen only displays correctly in portrait (where is that patch?).

I wonder if we can get sconix, the Mode Switcher developer, to figure out some way to differentiate between AC/DC power. That would be the best possible trigger regardless of how you place the phone on the Touchstone.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Shaikh

You can leave off the Wifi trigger since I don't use Wifi often (good Sprint service at my apartment). I also might change the orientation to right or something else, I just hate how the lock screen only displays correctly in portrait (where is that patch?).

I wonder if we can get sconix, the Mode Switcher developer, to figure out some way to differentiate between AC/DC power. That would be the best possible trigger regardless of how you place the phone on the Touchstone.
    Alright! Currently the Profile I am sending you will be triggered once you place the phone on the TS in the Right orientation, and will turn on Bluetooth and launch Sprint Nav.

Paste them both inside of the "com.palm.org.e-lnx.wee.apps.modeswitcher" folder inside of the saverestore folder when you are in USB flash disk mode. Once they are there, restore and check mode switcher to make sure the profile added properly. And then see if it works!

Good Luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    i totally forgot to change one thing in that file!
    When you are in Mode Switcher click on "Driving" to enter the profile. And then under Automation change the Auto Start and Auto Close values to "Immediate" if you want the Apps to launch right as you place it on the TS. Or "After Timer" If you want the option of denying Mode Switcher.
  8.    #8  
    Thank you so much Shaikh! I wonder if we can get in touch with sconix to make your mode the ultimate car mode with the AC/DC addition.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Thank you so much Shaikh! I wonder if we can get in touch with sconix to make your mode the ultimate car mode with the AC/DC addition.
    I am sure we can get in touch with Sconix! I am not sure if AC/DC can be differentiated but it definitely worth a try!

And my mode is no where near the Ultimate car mode. As in I gave you the bare minimum of what you asked for.

My Car mode does this:
    Turns on Bluetooth
    Turns off WiFi
    Keeps the screen on as long as its on the charger
    Changes my Background to a speedometer
    Increases the Screen Brightness so its easier to see in the sunlight
    Increases my ringtone, media, and system volume
    Launches Google Maps
    Launches Music Player Remix (Which uses the speedometer as its background so it looks cool)
    Waits 10 seconds before turning off Driving mode incase I just took it off to look at something so my apps dont just close as soon as I take it off the TS.
    Triggers are: Not connected to any WiFi
    On the touchstone in the left orientation

What I sent you only turns on bluetooth and launches Sprint Nav when on the TS in the right orientation.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    I just asked Sconix about the AC/DC thing. Turns out the TS converts the AC current into DC before it hits the phone. Therefore the phone cannot tell the difference. So sadly no Ultimate Car Patch.

He suggests using the horizontal Orientation for cars as well.
  11.    #11  
    Yea, it turns out we both contacted him :-)

He's hoping that in webOS 2.0 this might be possible but it's definitely not now. We need someone to work on a patch to rotate the lock screen to whatever orientation the phone is set to so putting it sideways you can let the screen shut off and have it right side up!
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Yea, it turns out we both contacted him :-)

He's hoping that in webOS 2.0 this might be possible but it's definitely not now. We need someone to work on a patch to rotate the lock screen to whatever orientation the phone is set to so putting it sideways you can let the screen shut off and have it right side up!
    If you got the Teal Clock app, it works in the vertical orientation and looks nicer than the stock clock. But yea a patch to make the lock screen work with the vertical orientation would be awesome as well!