Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I just read the article on engadget about a forlorn RIMmer.
    Editorial: RIM seems to be as lost as my BlackBerry -- Engadget

It makes me wonder how much traction webOS would have now and also would be nice to not have to compete directly with RIM.
    It would be nice to have 3 big players: iphone, android, RIM/Palm instead of 3-5 now with iphone, android, windows P7 (jury is out), and then Rim and Palm.

Palm is doing well, no doubt but RIM really must have gotten ****ed and said "we'll beat you at your own game" and meant it.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    I would rather have had Palm sell enough Pres to consistently turn a profit, remain independent, and perhaps attract more investment groups for more $$.
    If RIM had gotten Palm that story would still probably be the same and Palm would be completely dead, imo.
    They would be two sinking ships lashed together. Not a good combination.
    If RIM acquired Palm, it would have been an Epic fail. There would be no more webOS smartphones, & all we would have to look forward to would be a Playbook that officially runs webOS, instead of an imitation of webOS.

HP seems to be a great fit for Palm.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Oh, well by rule of majority, I stand corrected. I honestly think they could've dumped BBos, integrated messenger into webOS, cleaned it up and pushed. Wonder if they had NXT, or whatever that software is, before bidding.

Thanks
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    I would rather have had Palm sell enough Pres to consistently turn a profit, remain independent, and perhaps attract more investment groups for more $$.
    They sold for $1B, how much more $$ did you want them to attract?
    he's a maniac, maniaccccc!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    They sold for $1B, how much more $$ did you want them to attract?
    I said "I would rather have had Palm sell enough Pres to consistently turn a profit, remain independent, and perhaps attract more investment groups for more $$."

I didn't say "I would rather have Palm burn through cash and cease to be an independent company by getting bought up by a larger company." That is something completely different.
    Two OS companies merging would have meant one OS would be dead.

An OS company merging with a hardware company, however, is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezigrene View Post
    Two OS companies merging would have meant one OS would be dead.

An OS company merging with a hardware company, however, is a good idea.
    I agree. If RIM acquired Palm, webOS would be dead by now and RIM would be using Palms Patent and intellectual property to improve their hardware.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I'm very happy that HP bought Palm.

The Engadget article is great. Mike Lazaridis's interview at the D: Dive Into Mobile conference was just as much of a disaster as Jim Balsillie's interview at the Web 2.0 Summit in November, for pretty much the same reasons. Both are the wrong people for their post (which should have one person, not two).
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I hate these forum posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    I just read the article on engadget about a forlorn RIMmer.
    Editorial: RIM seems to be as lost as my BlackBerry -- Engadget

It makes me wonder how much traction webOS would have now and also would be nice to not have to compete directly with RIM.
    It would be nice to have 3 big players: iphone, android, RIM/Palm instead of 3-5 now with iphone, android, windows P7 (jury is out), and then Rim and Palm.

Palm is doing well, no doubt but RIM really must have gotten ****ed and said "we'll beat you at your own game" and meant it.
    Hell no if RIM bought Palm RIM would be taking Palms innovations and not devolving anything new. With Hp they are at least throwing money and have way more potential to innovate.
    No way.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Direct answer.

NO
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    RIM never would have killed BBOS. RIM is a very slow devolping company. If they were fast at developing and adapting the iPhone wouldn#t stand a chance.

But RIM is RIM. They are working around a good brwoser for more than 5 year and still got the crappy one. A BB is excellent if you need push mail, but thats all. They would be too afraid of loosing there base of mid 50years old customers by making such a radical change of the UI.

I believe in 10 year BB will be gone. The new generation doesnt want a messenger phone. They want a open Phone with many applications. Push notification will be done without RIM, so why bother with a BB.
    @DG I agree mostly but think that it is only an OK browser, etc with the business hook of push mail which locked them into a big notch of success with a growth curve. They look more and more like Palms every year.

But now that it is HPalm...... watch out [we hope]
    I really think would have killed off Palm and just taken webOS, so I'm glad they didn't win out.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I really think would have killed off Palm and just taken webOS, so I'm glad they didn't win out.
    I agree 1000% with mike... Any other company aside from hp would have gutted webOS and slaughtered palm..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums