Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    Google Maps for Mobile 5 unveiled, adds dynamic map drawing and offline mode -- Engadget

    100% compatible:
    * Galaxy S
    * Droid
    * Droid X
    * Droid 2
    * Droid Incredible
    * Evo
    * Nexus S
    * G2

    The Pre has the same features as the Droid (500MHz,multitouch), so google could do it.
    this is so frustrating....

    just told them by filling out the feature request form again, do the same:
  2. #2  
    +1. I want a solid maps program from google. I'm tired of them shafting us because we have webos.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    The Pre has the same features as the Droid (500MHz,multitouch), so google could do it.
    this is so frustrating....

    just told them by filling out the feature request form again, do the same:
    1) Google has vested interest in making Android successful.
    2) Limited resources must be spent wisely. Why would they be motivated to put effort into webOS at this point with such a small market share? Send the complaints to HP and ask them to buy a better mapping option either from Google or from someone else.
    3) Look to BFG or other homebrew as an option.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 12/14/2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: fixed broken quote
  4. #4  
    @unclevanya

    all true, except #2

    Google has unlimited resources and then some additional resources. this is because they have a money printing app.

    I totally agree that HP needs to come up with some leverage to get Google to support webOS to the same level they support the iPhone at the very least, IMHO.

    A good Bing Maps app would be a nice alternative.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    1) Google has vested interest in making Android successful.
    2) Limited resources must be spent wisely. Why would they be motivated to put effort into webOS at this point with such a small market share? Send the complaints to HP and ask them to buy a better mapping option either from Google or from someone else.
    3) Look to BFG or other homebrew as an option.

    !) yeah but other platforms are also better supported: Google Maps for mobile

    2) yeah as if google had limited resources and while "google maps for webos" is mostly a webbased app, it would be easy for them to update some features. They last time updated exactly ONE YEAR ago: Google Quietly Updates Maps For webOS | PreCentral.net
    [Update]but i have to add that it's not version 6.7 anymore, but 8.1 (even on my Pre minus). So it was again updated quietly, without notice (except one Pre2 user in the comments there in Nov.)[/update]

    Well as i said already i send another HP/Palm feature request form and i'm advising everybody else to do the same.

    3) i have BFG map since day one, but it's not that smooth for now.
  6. #6  
    I agree with the post above, Google or any other major developing company are not going to be concerned with developing for Webos until their market share increases. Which pretty much means, until the release a device, or devices that appeal to the massess. So the thing we need to worry about really, is that HP's silence converts into mind blowing devices next year, so that mindshare and developers increase.
  7. jwinn35's Avatar
    Posts
    390 Posts
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    1) Google has vested interest in making Android successful.
    2) Limited resources must be spent wisely. Why would they be motivated to put effort into webOS at this point with such a small market share? Send the complaints to HP and ask them to buy a better mapping option either from Google or from someone else.
    3) Look to BFG or other homebrew as an option.
    I don't get it, I support homebrew and development, but bfg maps is horrible in my opinion. I'd much rather wait the few extra seconds and use a horrible gmaps than an even more horrible bfgmaps.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    I don't get it, I support homebrew and development, but bfg maps is horrible in my opinion. I'd much rather wait the few extra seconds and use a horrible gmaps than an even more horrible bfgmaps.
    I'm actually happier with Google Maps myself. The point was that development on BFG maps may eventually overtake Google Maps on this platform. I find a few features on BFG interesting but it is klunky and difficult to work with compare with Google Maps.
  9. #9  
    My Google Maps has mysteriously improved recently. It loads faster and gets a fix on my location (Not a perfect fix as I am still on Verizon). It has overtaken BFG Maps in speed and location tracking capabilities. I am not sure what caused this improvement as the only thing I did was load the Verizon aGPS Blocker. There was a thread about this a few days ago: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ing-gmaps.html
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  10. #10  
    I have come to the conclusion that the "big dogs" like google can and will continue to ignore all of us using webos. Ya know what tho....WHO CARES??!! Just like every other app that we had hoped would make its way to our phones, only to be denied by the manufacturers, one of the amazing developers within this very website found a way to bring it to our phones anyway....WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM THE JERKS THAT DENIED IT TO US IN THE FIRST PLACE! So with that being said, whatever google....keep looking past us. No worries. We will just get one of our 14 year old developers to do what you refuse to do.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    My Google Maps has mysteriously improved recently. It loads faster and gets a fix on my location (Not a perfect fix as I am still on Verizon). It has overtaken BFG Maps in speed and location tracking capabilities. I am not sure what caused this improvement as the only thing I did was load the Verizon aGPS Blocker. There was a thread about this a few days ago: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ing-gmaps.html
    Huh. I just checked and mine is loading up fast now too. Maybe the issue was an API issue with Google all along that they just now fixed?
  12. #12  
    Google owns Android. Of course they would make this for THEIR phones.
  13. #13  
    I just opened mine today...4 seconds, & I did it a 2nd time just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Last week it was around 13 seconds.
  14. #14  
    of course google is gonna take care of android first...
  15. #15  
    I thought HP was a big dog??? I know WebOS isn't but HP should pay/convince Google that the reboot of WebOS needs a better Goggle Maps program. It's really not that big of a deal for a company the size of HP to get done.
  16. #16  
    For those of you unaware, the only platform Google has officially developed a Maps application for is their own platform: Android

    Apple developed the maps app for iOS in-house after working a deal with Google through licensing terms that enabled them access to the map tiles via private APIs. However, just recently Apple acquired a map company called Placebase which could very well be an indication that Apple is on the move away from Google Maps.
  17. #17  
    There are several reasons that google wants to only support the android.
    1.They get money for selling the androids
    2.They get MILLIONS! from selling the information that the android phones gather by spying on the users to the brainwashing companies that pay for brainwashing advertisements.
    3.They want to put all of the other phone companies out of business so that they are the only source of intel from phones that can spy on the users

    That is also why they have limited their other functions (like google docs) to their phones only.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bosabilene View Post
    There are several reasons that google wants to only support the android.
    1.They get money for selling the androids
    2.They get MILLIONS! from selling the information that the android phones gather by spying on the users to the brainwashing companies that pay for brainwashing advertisements.
    3.They want to put all of the other phone companies out of business so that they are the only source of intel from phones that can spy on the users

    That is also why they have limited their other functions (like google docs) to their phones only.
    Google docs works great on iOS devices (iPhone, iPod and iPad) and any other device that's fully HTML5 compliant. And your statement here couldn't be further from the truth. Google makes directly nothing on Android sales; they make their money from advertisements that are delivered through various applications (maps and other official google applications).
    Last edited by barkerja; 12/14/2010 at 11:50 PM.
  19. #19  
    Oh... I think I need to research a bit more... sorry
  20. #20  
    The real question is why is Google developing OUR maps apps instead of HP/Palm. We all know that Google will always prefer its OS over webOS, so we shouldn't expect a lot of love from them. If HP/Palm were the developers of the google maps app, I'm shure it would be better than that crap we have nowadays
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions