Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Funny, CNET's Jessica Dolcourt didn't find the WebOS interface "intuitive". I am perplexed by this finding.

Review Here:
    WebOS - Best and worst smartphone interfaces - CNET Reviews

If you disagree you can contact her here:
    Jessica Dolcourt's Profile
    Last edited by deesugar; 12/13/2010 at 01:20 PM.
    Probably because no one showed her the simple swipe gestures. One of the guys I work with got a Pixi and hated it. I asked him why and he said it was stupid because he couldn't get back to a previous screen without closing and reopening the app. I watched him demonstrate his frustrations for me and was amazed that no one had showed him simple gestures on webOS. I gave him a quick rundown of the back-swipe gesture and swiping down to get menus. After showing him this, he was blown away by the phone! He just sat there and laughed and then got really mad that no-one at the store showed him this basic functioning.

This is probably the same issue this Jessica experience and rated it low because she simply didn't know the basic functions of swiping.
    It is still the ONLY OS other than IOS that was in the LIKE category. She probably did not use it for long.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Probably because no one showed her the simple swipe gestures. One of the guys I work with got a Pixi and hated it. I asked him why and he said it was stupid because he couldn't get back to a previous screen without closing and reopening the app. I watched him demonstrate his frustrations for me and was amazed that no one had showed him simple gestures on webOS. I gave him a quick rundown of the back-swipe gesture and swiping down to get menus. After showing him this, he was blown away by the phone! He just sat there and laughed and then got really mad that no-one at the store showed him this basic functioning.

This is probably the same issue this Jessica experience and rated it low because she simply didn't know the basic functions of swiping.
    LOL - how do you activate the phone without learning that?

My wife *****ed about the stupid video at initial purchase and didn't learn it all then but it helped.
    if you have to be shown how to do something, then by definition it is not intuitive. Don't confuse intuitive with easy. She does describe webos as inventive, which I think is acurate.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    It is still the ONLY OS other than IOS that was in the LIKE category. She probably did not use it for long.
    Uh, Android and the various manufacturer overlays (HTC Sense, etc) were all "liked".
    Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    if you have to be shown how to do something, then by definition it is not intuitive. Don't confuse intuitive with easy. She does describe webos as inventive, which I think is acurate.
    I think your definition of intuitive as it applies to smartphones is a bit too restrictive.

Definition 1d seems more appropriate than the one you selected. I don't think any smartphone UI is completely self-evident - at least none that I can think of. However if the UI is easily to learned and associates quickly with the actions in a way that is "nearly" self-evident - that's as close as you can get today. I really think your choice of definition is unobtainable but maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 12/13/2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: I decided my tone was rude in the original version.
    I agree in that she probably didn't spend much time with it. But at least it was in the LIKE side.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Sounds like another reviewer that didn't spend TIME reviewing the product. iOS and Webos are the most intuitive os's on the market and I figured out MANY swipe features in my pre I had by myself. Maybe reviewers should TRY things. Swipe you finger, hold down for a second or two! Sheesh.
  10.    #10  
    I'm going to be serious here but I had limited success working with an iPhone on my first try. Being used to WebOS I find myself swiping up to exit apps on every phone I use. I didn't know how to have more then one web page on the iPhone.

So is this really about being intuitive or being used to another OS???
    I kinda agree with her. Its not very intuitive and has a big learning curve. Unlike iOS, Webos has no buttons or labels or icons that direct you how to use it. For instance, there is no button that says back like most iOS apps have and universal search has to be discovered accidentally there is nowhere on phone that indicates you can do that. my girlfriend was confused on how to navigate and go back on my phone forever. Even though i constantly would tell her you have to back swipe to go back she still would close the app completely and reopen it. Either because she forgot or because she could never get the hang of the back gesture. Now she is better at the back gesture but still never uses the up gesture for the launcher or universal search. She tells me all the time she forgets about it.

Once you get used to the gestures the phone much faster to navigate than all others and allows the UI to be less cluttered with back buttons and descriptive text, but getting to that point takes time for the average user. Where as with her ipod touch she was able to figure out how to navigate immediately because it is clearly labeled much of the time
    Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    In that case, there is no intuitive OS.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    What people do and don't find intuitive can be largely based on what they learned first. If you're assuming everything should work the same as the first thing you used then it can make things harder on you in a different designs. That is often the case with a LOT of people, especially those that aren't really tech inclined.

For me, I learned iOS first. When I went into webOS it didn't take long to figure it out and actually a lot of the layout seemed a lot better than in iOS, a lot more logical.
    Actually if you owned a feature phone and then moved to a touchscreen smartphone, nothing is intuitive. My wife is no techie, far from it, but she picked up he pixi and started using it right away. I did have to point her to the video and show her how to swipe, but only took a few minutes. Now I can't get her off her phone. She loves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo1024 View Post
    Actually if you owned a feature phone and then moved to a touchscreen smartphone, nothing is intuitive. My wife is no techie, far from it, but she picked up he pixi and started using it right away. I did have to point her to the video and show her how to swipe, but only took a few minutes. Now I can't get her off her phone. She loves it.
    We have the same basic experience. My wife went from a Razr V3m to the Pre Plus.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Drahgon - I completely agree. When I first picked up a Pre Minus demo in a store -- I had no idea how to navigate the OS. The only comfort I had was that I could press the button to minimize 'a-la iPhone'. The main issue here is O/S familiarity. For example -- take a Windows person and throw them infront of a Mac or Linux machine -- all of that common-UI knowledge (Control-C, alt-tab, double click, etc...) they had just became useless: it's a bit frustrating until you take the time to learn the interface.

Like it or hate it: Windows is the champion desktop interface and iOS for mobile --> currently.

I like the fact that WebOS is different and not simply another iOS clone. But -- since WebOS is different from the 'default' iOS from an interface perspective: that drops it in the 'non-intuitive' bucket.

To prove my point: take your Pre (+, - or 2) and put it in the hands of someone who have never used WebOS before. Now, try to get them to do something that requires a few different swipes and/or keyboard (ie: add a new calendar entry, search for an address in Google maps, etc... ) *without* you touching the device. Even worse: try explaining it while not looking (ie: you're driving). Doable? Yes. Frustrating the first time? Likely yes, but it depends on how technical the person is.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    He just sat there and laughed and then got really mad that no-one at the store showed him this basic functioning.

I have no sympathy for these people. They want to be spoon fed instead of reading the frickin' manual!

If they can't make the effort to learn about their phone, they need to trade it in on a Razr or something easier.
    Surprisingly, a lot of "ordinary" people don't find webOS intuitive at all. They prefer the simple tap-tap-tap. When I had the Pre I let my girlfriend use it for an evening – after showing her how to use it, with the gestures and all – and she handed it back frustrated saying it's too complicated how everything works. She didn't like the swipes, didn't like the cards, etc.
    I've noticed that too. I think it's because there's a disconnect between what you see and what you can touch.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I honestly can't believe anyone likes Android's GUI better than webOS's.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast