Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Surprisingly, a lot of "ordinary" people don't find webOS intuitive at all. They prefer the simple tap-tap-tap. When I had the Pre I let my girlfriend use it for an evening after showing her how to use it, with the gestures and all and she handed it back frustrated saying it's too complicated how everything works. She didn't like the swipes, didn't like the cards, etc.
    Show her Blackberry running pre 6.0 and then get her opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I have no sympathy for these people. They want to be spoon fed instead of reading the frickin' manual!

If they can't make the effort to learn about their phone, they need to trade it in on a Razr or something easier.
    You know I've always found dumb phones to be pretty clunky and difficult to use. Part of it could be because I've never really used a dumb phone on a regular basis. My first phone was a Handspring Visor Platinum with a VisorPhone module.
  3.    #23  
    Of the people here that think the iOS is more intuitive I'd have to ask them to compare feature to feature because I'd say it's at least a tie or WebOS would slightly edge out iOS.

1. Are iOS notifications are more intuitive?
    2. Are changing settings in iOS is more intuitive?
    3. Is navigating within an iOS app is more intuitive?
    4. Is multitasking more intuitive in iOS?

I haven't spent much time on the iPhone but these things seemed to have me swim through a lot of menus or lacked something compared to WebOS.
    Last edited by deesugar; 12/13/2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: added number 4
    1. Absolutely not.

2. I would say yes. Having app settings in a single place is good.

3. I would say no. I like my gesture area.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Of the people here that think the iOS is more intuitive I'd have to ask them to compare feature to feature because I'd say it's at least a tie or WebOS would slightly edge out iOS.

I haven't spent much time on the iPhone but these things seemed to have me swim through a lot of menus or lacked something compared to WebOS.
    1. Depends. Intuitive if you include the badge count of an app, but intrusive due to the pop-up.
    2. Yes. An all-in-one location for your settings. It's dead simple.
    3. Most people have a one-track mind. They're accustomed to having only one app open and their focus being on it. Hit the home button, open new app, recycle. It's the "natural" flow of mobile usage and has been since its existence.

Apple kind of hit the nail on the head with how they're doing multitasking. The option to quickly switch between apps is there, for those that want it, but those that don't and continue to use iOS the way they always have still benefit from iOS' multitasking no different than those that use fast switching.
  6.    #26  
    I'm surprised at all the people on this thread saying they think iOS is better because if anything WebOS has had no arguments in was the OS. Only the hardware and lack of apps was anything people could argue about.

It only takes me 30 seconds to teach someone to use a WebOS phone and most iPhone users loved the ease of multitasking which they thought was easy and intuitive.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    i think most of the big name tech sites have fallen into a stigma of if they don't mention Iphone or android no one will read their articles. Case in point when talking about blackberry 6 OS she only mentions iOS and Android OS as if WebOS is just a one time thing. take PhoneDog.com they have yet to do a video review of the Palm Pre 2, but do a rehash of every Android phone ever made.
    DaVince >IIIxe > Visor Platinum+visorphone > Clie-SJ33 > Tungsten T3>Palm TX>LifeDrive(Flash)>Treo 650>Treo 700p>PalmPrePlus2.1
    That's just her opinion. WebOS works for me, and that's all that really matters!
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I honestly can't believe anyone likes Android's GUI better than webOS's.
    I honestly can't believe she used 'sleek' and 'Android' in the same sentence for one of her reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Probably because no one showed her the simple swipe gestures. One of the guys I work with got a Pixi and hated it. I asked him why and he said it was stupid because he couldn't get back to a previous screen without closing and reopening the app. I watched him demonstrate his frustrations for me and was amazed that no one had showed him simple gestures on webOS. I gave him a quick rundown of the back-swipe gesture and swiping down to get menus. After showing him this, he was blown away by the phone! He just sat there and laughed and then got really mad that no-one at the store showed him this basic functioning.

This is probably the same issue this Jessica experience and rated it low because she simply didn't know the basic functions of swiping.
    hence is why she didnt find it intuitive.....some one had to show her. i take intuitive to mean easily to figure out.
    Android UI 2nd and WP7 10th? I completely disagree with her. Here it is my list (Using the same UIs as she):

1. WebOS
    2. HTC Sense
    3. iOS
    4. WP7
    5. Motoblur Droid
    6. Touchwiz
    7. Motoblur
    8. Android default
    9. Symbian
    10. BB OS 6
  12. rayhollister
    My 4 year old daughter picked up my Palm Pre, found her Mommy's picture, called her Mommy on the phone. Then she hung up with her, and took a picture of me with the camera. The first time she asked for help was to ask how to send the picture to Mommy. Sure, it's not intuitive!
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhollister View Post
    My 4 year old daughter picked up my Palm Pre, found her Mommy's picture, called her Mommy on the phone. Then she hung up with her, and took a picture of me with the camera. The first time she asked for help was to ask how to send the picture to Mommy. Sure, it's not intuitive!
    that proves kids are more tech savy than us old farts. at least she is smarter than i am coz i myself couldnt figure it out while i was playing with the palm pre for the first time at the store, i couldnt figure out how to go backwards without reading up on it.
    I would argue that webOS is intuitive AFTER you know about gestures which is correct. Once you know about back gesture everything is intuitive from then on. You really don't need to see a back button or a flashing icon to do that task so it is intuitive. Also, it works system wide. This is true for the single IOS button as well. Where as Android is a mess right now, different clicks for the same task in different apps it is not intuitive at all.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    What she is really saying is that webOS' future doesn't seem bright. She provides no clear evidence to show the UI isn't intuitive. What she does say is that that it has fallen behind the game, which, while I love webOS, isn't that far off the truth.

Also she seems to have her terms mixed up. An intuitive interface is not the same as an intuitive OS. Given her second paragraph it seems her issues aren't so much with ease of use but lack of features. Again, I can't really fault her for that. We still don't have a lot of the built in functionality of Android without the great Homebrew community. Homebrew or stock makes no difference to me but to a lot of buyers...they don't want the hassle of homebrew, they would rather not have to think.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I honestly can't believe anyone likes Android's GUI better than webOS's.
    Agreed. I have an android and patiently awaiting my pixi. The android os is a mess to me.

4. Is multitasking more intuitive in iOS?

1. Well the notification pop up in YOUR FACE so you have to notice them. I don't like that design at all, but webos and ios have easy notifications.
    2. Yeah, the "control panel" is great, settings in one place.
    3. Not really.
    4. F(*& no. I hate it.
    I'm going to be serious here but I had limited success working with an iPhone on my first try. Being used to WebOS I find myself swiping up to exit apps on every phone I use. I didn't know how to have more then one web page on the iPhone.

So is this really about being intuitive or being used to another OS???
    Haha, this happens to me ALL THE TIME since I've got my Pre!

Also, my girlfriend is a very non-technical person and always scoffed at my XDA and said she never wants a smartphone. Didn't like friends' iPhones either. Bought a Pixi as soon as she could after playing with my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by wushu2004 View Post
    Show her Blackberry running pre 6.0 and then get her opinion.
    Actually, she was a pre-6.0 BlackBerry user before converting to Android. She still often expresses how she misses her BlackBerry. Some people are just set in their ways.
    I have to agree that webOS is extremely intuitive once you learn about gesturing. When I first tried one out in the store I couldn't figure out how to get back to the Launcher.

I think the Pre 2 will be a big step forward in the usability department, not for software reasons, but for HARDWARE reasons. Sometimes my old Pre (non-Plus) doesn't seem to respond to touch input for a second or so; I get the touch visual effect, but since nothing else happens I'm not sure if I've pushed a button. "Did I do it wrong? Oh, wait, THERE we go." Faster hardware will help a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by choiceofgames View Post
    When I first tried one out in the store I couldn't figure out how to get back to the Launcher.
    i think this is often overlooked. pretty much all o.s. have a degree of a learning curve. i too found webos a bit confusing when first using it in the store. i used it for like 25 minutes though and finally got the hang of it. i could see others finding it strange at first use. so when people say it's intuitive i think they may be utterly ignoring a learning curve.

I used an android phone too and it took a while adjust cause i kept looking for a way to go back.

But even with webos there are things i still have issues with. i use my ipod daily and the button on the top is a hold button. it doesn't do that on a pre and i always find myself trying to use the power button as a hold. worse my power button is broken so it acutally does nothing. But i still struggle on the very few times i used the music player cause i struggle with adjusting to the interface and the lack of a hold button.

Had similar issues trying out iphones too till i noticed almost all apps have dedicated back buttons so i just looked for them. but i think there's always an adjustment for every o.s.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast