1.    #1  
    Consumer Reports annual Cell Phone issue is out dated January 2011, titled Best new cellphones and plans. Review of 70+ phones.

I thought I would try to peruse it objectively. After reading several pages I didn't expect to see any mention of Palm phones or webOS. Highly pictured and discussed were android phones and many of the new Windows phones.

There was even a breakdown of operating systems, android, BB, iOS, and Windows, no mention of webOS. Then you get to the page where they make smartphone recommendations. For each of the major carriers 5 or 6 phones were recommended. Surprisingly the iPhone 4 didn't make the cut, however the iPhone 3s did.

One phone did make the cut for AT&T, Sprint and VZW; Yes! the Palm Pre/Plus was on each list meaning that only 13 other phones were recommended. To me this means Palm still has a fighting chance.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    You mean webOS still has a chance. Really, it got a second lease of life at the HP acquisition. After HP stated its goal of integrating webOS in several types of devices, was there really any need to worry?

Also, for the price and functionality, current webOS phones would make a great gift.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Except for the fact that they have been discontinued by the carriers for the holiday season.
    I know! That's the irony the whole thing. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Except for the fact that they have been discontinued by the carriers for the holiday season.
    To be fair, ATT is still blowing them out. Pre and Pixi.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You mean webOS still has a chance. Really, it got a second lease of life at the HP acquisition. After HP stated its goal of integrating webOS in several types of devices, was there really any need to worry?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I was speaking in terms of mindshare.

I dropped my Consumer Reports subscription when it became clear that the core mission wasn't to inform the consumer. I say this because as a long term photography buff I asked for details around how they compared lenses across brands and they flatly refused to provide any details. They would not say if they used Printed Pictures, Monitors, JPG's, RAW Files, etc. They did not clarify ANYTHING. In fact they said that unless I was a manufacturer of an item that had been tested it was their policy not to reveal any info about the testing that was not published.

Then the fiasco over the child safety seat testing hit the fan. At that point I cancelled my subscription.

So while Consumer Reports is recommending the Pre - it's unclear why or how that conclusion was reached. I find that not very helpful to the overall question of the long term prospects for webOS. If New York Times or Washington Post says go for it, or if the Today show picks it as their best choice I'm going to think that says a lot more about mindshare and interest in the platform...
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I was speaking in terms of mindshare.
    Mindshare will never run out, there won't come a time when you're suddenly incapable of getting mindshare. All you need is an Evo-type phone and you have mindshare, or at least the Evo equivalent of the current phone cycle.