Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not only has HP/Palm been unable to get a successful carrier launch of the Pre 2 in the US, now it seems current Pre/Pixi/Plus users will have to wait until after the new year to get the WebOS 2.0 update. In practice, when a company says something is coming in Q1, we all know it means the end of Q1. So, we can't realistically expect to be enjoying 2.0 until sometime in March.
    Yeah, it's unfortunate. But I believe in HP, maybe not Palm so much anymore.
    Sprint Love
    Hmmm, I had thought it would probably come out at or around CES, but I have to agree that when a company says Q1, it winds up being at the end of Q1.
    maybe ... Maybe not .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I would gladly pay you next toesday for an OTA update today.
    I think the carriers will want both new phones and OTA updates pretty lose together. The cost and pain of support for the carriers increases exponentially if they don't.

that's why it was easy to launch the Pre2 on SFR first, because they had no based of existing webOS phones. Palm was smart to do that.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Either 2.0 is not finished for non pre 2 devices or the carriers have given palm/hp the finger and said we'll approve your update when we feel like it, knowing the longer they wait the more people will burn their upgrade and move on.

But the good news the new angry birds is out
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Not only has HP/Palm been unable to get a successful carrier launch of the Pre 2 in the US, now it seems current Pre/Pixi/Plus users will have to wait until after the new year to get the WebOS 2.0 update. In practice, when a company says something is coming in Q1, we all know it means the end of Q1. So, we can't realistically expect to be enjoying 2.0 until sometime in March.
    How sure are you of your information that we won't be enjoying it until March? Youv'e based this on .... what? Pure speculation?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    How sure are you of your information that we won't be enjoying it until March? Youv'e based this on .... what? Pure speculation?
    He is basing it on the speculation of today's blog post by derrek kessler on page one.

if it is repeated enough, it must be true.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    It's not PALM or HP that's holding this up.... It's the carriers. Sprint has NEVER released a software update for a phone that's already been EOL'd. They have limited amounts of engineers to certify updates and they aren't going to be dedicating those resources to phones that are not going to make them any more money. What PALM should be doing is releasing a dr. for another carrier in such a way that they know the homebrew community can frankendoctor it. Keeps (us) loyal enthusiasts happy and gets their *** out of the grinder for a bit longer.
    With things like OTA updates, the usual culprits are the carriers. Maybe by Q1 they mean all carriers will eventually approve the update. Verizon in January, Sprint in February, ATT in March... who knows? At least CES is in Q1...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    He is basing it on the speculation of today's blog post by derrek kessler on page one.

if it is repeated enough, it must be true.
    And, unfortunately, that's how much of the "bad news" around here is verified. Enough people repeat the same rumor, it must be true.

It's ironic that "good news" reports are treated quite differently. They're immediately deemed to be untrue, false, made up, someone just lied. Until, of course, they aren't met, then it was just one more "promise" that Palm failed to meet.

Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by wotan View Post
    It's not PALM or HP that's holding this up.... It's the carriers. Sprint has NEVER released a software update for a phone that's already been EOL'd. They have limited amounts of engineers to certify updates and they aren't going to be dedicating those resources to phones that are not going to make them any more money. What PALM should be doing is releasing a dr. for another carrier in such a way that they know the homebrew community can frankendoctor it. Keeps (us) loyal enthusiasts happy and gets their *** out of the grinder for a bit longer.
    In this case, I've heard nothing that says the carriers have the upgrades. The Pre, as far as I know, was the first phone on Sprint to have OTA upgrades, which made the upgrade process much simpler for the end user. I suspect we'll see a Sprint version of WebOS 2, OTA.
    I have faith that it will eventually come to older Pre -/+ and pixi -/+ phones. Palm/HP have never said otherwise. It's just a matter of time. I don't see how the older hardware can't handle 2.x (maybe flash). Isn't 2.x supposed to be more optimized and have faster database access/manipulation, which is at the core of the OS?
    I'm sure we will have announcements from CES, even if the ship dates are for a few months later. That should finally meet user needs to at least know what to expect.

I just hope that the 2.x update statements aren't as vague as they were previously.

What I really hope for is:

Here are the new phones (models x, y, z, etc.)
    Here are the carriers and order of launch (carriers a, b, c, etc)
    Here are the expected quarters for those launches (xa, yb, zc, etc)

And the 2.x update has been released to all existing carriers with the expectation that all OTA updates will be available to all current webOS phones by the end of February (or pick a month).

that's pretty much the categories and detail levels that I think is reasonable, ESPECIALLY after such a long period of silence and speculation.

IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Not only has HP/Palm been unable to get a successful carrier launch of the Pre 2 in the US, now it seems current Pre/Pixi/Plus users will have to wait until after the new year to get the WebOS 2.0 update.
    Huh? Hasn't it pretty much been confirmed that Verizon will be getting the Pre 2..?
    Wait, I think all these rumours may not be not untrue in the coming months.
    releasing at the end of Q1 mean it has to go thru carriers QA which mean months after that we the end users will get it at then of Q2..this is beginning to suck big time now. Question is what ever they announce on CES how long will that take to come to the end users???
    lets wait until ces before we all panic.
    only 3 weeks away.

if palm, hp, and wireless carriers again make the "coming soon" anouncement, though I personally will wait it out, I think those on the original pre or frustrated with their pre or pixi pluses should leave webOS, atleast for the short term, and give hp and palm the "coming back soon" announcement. Soon has become a useless time frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    releasing at the end of Q1 mean it has to go thru carriers QA which mean months after that we the end users will get it at then of Q2..this is beginning to suck big time now. Question is what ever they announce on CES how long will that take to come to the end users???
    That's why I'm hoping they will say "already released to the carriers". The carrier testing isn't the thing that takes the longest, it's training and documentation for their systems to enable thousands of call center reps to support users that call for assistance. All the decision trees and answers have to be tested thoroughly and then documented before any reps get trained.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast