1.    #1  
    WARNING: PURE, UNFOUNDED, SPECULATION AHEAD.

THIS THREAD ASSUMES THAT HP DID NOT BUY WEBOS TO QUIETLY KILL IT IN THE BACK ROOM WHILE THE WORLD IS LOOKING FOR LEO APOTHEKER IN JULIAN ASSANGE'S BASEMENT

=====

It's becoming increasingly clear that when Google releases anything new for mobile, they release it for themselves, Apple and nobody else. For webOS, this has meant a featureless Google maps client that needs a minute to start up, and being snubbed on stuff like Google Instant, which the webOS browser would easily be able to do as well. Google sees no reason to help any competitors of their own, unless they be Apple, because, well, can you imagine the backlash of someone, anyone, not supporting Apple right now?

Meanwhile, Microsoft is trying to push Bing and connected services like Maps like there's no tomorrow, without much luck; especially in Mobile, the only place where the market currently tolerates Bing is in Microsoft products. Binged Android handsets? The only ones you'll find bad reviews for. And what do the reviews say? "Worse rating for Bing".

Now it's not exactly news that HP and Microsoft are, like, this close; and it's not surprising since HP is the largest maker of Windows PCs iirc. HP seems to be slowly moving away from that market if the metatext at the Developer Day (talking about spreading webOS to very many form factors while showing a touchsmart PC on a slide) is any indication because they want to pursue a more vertical strategy in the future, but their relationship with Microsoft is still very good while they're drifting apart.

And I think both companies are seeing the writing on the wall: computing in 10 years won't be a monopoly at all, like it was in the 90s. Mac is gaining in strides because Apple is -SO- cool right now, and Google is going to release Chrome OS to the masses soon. HP pursues a strategy of getting webOS onto everything with a screen.
    Microsoft's and HP's relative positions aren't all that great, purely because of mindshare and popularity - M$ is well-hated in the schoolyard as a former bully who has lost his strength and HP has stuffy reputation as a library nerd who doesn't put out while Google and Apple are the Team's new Quarterback and the prom queen head cheerleader.

I've been thinking - isn't it possible that when HP explodes the webOS relaunch bomb with new devices, a ton of new apps (I think they're holding a bunch back in order to have a more surprising number to announce on the press event) and stuff like the Enyo framework, that certain integrated services will be Bing rather than Google? Like a Bing maps client?
    HP would win because they'd be getting a much better Maps client for their new OS. Microsoft would win because they could expose more people to Bing products over a longer period of time than they could on their own.

In the past, Microsoft has been such a standard in computing that the only differentiator in ubiquitous Windows PCs was their manufacturer. The more Microsoft turns into a company that provides an experience which is, in itself, a differentiator for other companies using other operating systems as well and ventures into Services as well with Bing, and the more HP turns into a company that provides a vertical experience untied to Microsoft, the less the two companies will need each other. It's not for a lack of love - it's just that their interests changed over the years...

I think that both companies realize this, but that they also realize how else they can leverage their great relationship. They could find that, even when competing in the same market, an enemy's enemy can be a trusty friend. While they may no longer need each other as they did in the past, mutual help could prove invaluable.

Do you think they shouldn't let me have the Internet at the institution? How long, in seconds, would it take you to jump ship to WinPho7 if this happened? How DOA from a scale from Google Buzz to Apple Pippin would such a joint venture be?
    Let me start off by saying there were a ridiculous amount of analogies..... and I totally like that. I think I would stay with Palm, and collaboration in this case would be good for the consumer (and probably make Google want to help because they don't like getting the cold shoulder).
    Yes, I also thought MS and HP working together on the Mobile front would be fantastic.

I think it is a great idea and agree that Google isn't planning to coming to anyone's help but Google.

When it comes to Phones this is a great idea and opens up a bunch of territory presently limited by Google since they aren't providing or only providing the basics. When it comes to Tablets...this is also useful and I can see HP going the next step with their tablet offering a Tablet/Laptop (dock) interface that offers fast webOS native use and Window 7 Embedded for more featured options in the same unit.

I'd love to be able to use Windows 7 and access instantly email, web, or otherwise through a top layer controlled by webOS. Not sure if HP is thinking this far out of the box, but they should since the Android market is expanding quick and HP needs an edge that no one else can offer or plans to offer. Sorli...
    I completely agree with you. Microsoft & HP is a win-win joint venture, besides, both companies alrealdy work in tandem.
    As far as mobile apps and services go, there's certainly an opportunity for them to help each other - Microsoft can provide good integration with its Bing services, much more so than google is doing anyway.

What could HP do..? Maybe something on the desktop or enterprise level. Or they could help WP7 come out with a good printing solution ala. AirPrint.

I totally do not think that they should be trying to share operating system stuff, though. They dont want to mix up their identities.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!