Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    This concept is mostly from the software perspective with only a few hardware suggestions. A lot of concepts focus on looks and specs. I want to focus on usability.

When Palm originally created the Palm handheld PDA it was never intended to compete with Apple's Newton, but instead to compete with pen and paper such as contact books and checkbooks and such. As such when envisioning my idea for the PalmPad, I'm not writing as a competitor to the iPad, or Blackberry's tablet, I'm writing in competition to the netbook and arguably even the notebook. So for every reason to get a notebook, I have to argue to make the PalmPad a better choice, as opposed to competing with the iPad.

Communication

One purpose for laptops over a tablet is the easier ability to communicate with others. In this sense, a tablet must not only be able to do so just as well, but offer a better experience than a laptop.

First, palm already has synergy. It can manage all your email accounts and messaging accounts in one place, as opposed to multiple apps one would need to download on a windows machine. A PalmPad should fetch your emails for you and alert users when available, and the same for instant messages via the gesture light. The tablet should have a front facing camera for video chat. To outperform a laptop, a PalmPad should use push messaging to deliver instant messages and email(or just email notifications) over 3G networks. Thus a PalmPad can be idly sipping battery waiting for a push message, compared to a laptop which must be running and screen on to alert you of new emails and messages. Thus communication could be better than a laptop.

Office

A PalmPad should come with its own office suite for reading and editing Word, Excel, and Powerpoint formatted files. The PalmPad should work with bluetooth keyboards. It should support documents from an SD card. But this in itself does not make it a better choice than a laptop. However, Palm/HP already has another technology up their sleeve to give PalmPad an edge: Synergy. Imagine using Synergy to keep your documents synced to Zoho Documents, or Google Docs. Imagine a friend using file transfer in their native instant messaging client to send you a document that automatically downloads, displays a notification to open(or slide to dismiss) and automatically saves a copy to your phone and the cloud service of your prior choice. A user should be able, but not forced to, to connect their PalmPad to their computer to transfer documents. An hdmi port should be used to allow content to be displayed on a projector or television.

Multimedia

A PalmPad should be better than a laptop for multimedia. One criteria for this is extended codec support for images, audio, and video. It should support loading of multimedia files from an SD card slot. Your digital camera has photos on and SD card, so you should be able to pop it in and view them on a larger screen. It should include a builtin kickstand. The picture viewer should come with simple editing tools such as rotate and crop. But this in itself does not make it better than a notebook. To make it better, using synergy again, you should be able to sync your photos with various services like picasa web albums, or photobucket, etc. In the background automatically. If possible, these cloud updates should use push notifications to notify of new content. The PalmPad should have a dedicated video app not just for viewing youtube, but vimeo and facebook friend videos, and other sites as well - from one app; people shouldn't have to think what service they want when they look for videos. This would make it better than a netbook. An hdmi port should be used to allow content to be displayed on a projector or television. This port should support protected content, so 3rd party multimedia providers such as netflix can be comfortable with designing apps to take advantage of the feature.

Gaming

Palm should create a first party bluetooth controller and make it available to access from the PDK/SDK. Combined with the kickstand(or hdmi output), would make for great portable gaming. Graphics should be comparable or better to the iPad.

Internet Browsing

A PalmPad should include the option to view flash content. It should allow either for unobtrusive addons, or allow other developers to create new browsers using the webkit already built in to the platform, so people can tailor their experience to their particular taste. Apps that open weblinks should obey the users choice of webbrowser as though it were the first party browser. To make it better than a notebook, is already largely accomplished. WebOS's card/stack paradigm plays to your spatial awareness far better than browser tabs. Gestures, such as scrolling and pinching are much easier to perform on a large screen than on a limited notebook touchpad.

Notifications

When performing any task that is ongoing(sending an email with a large attachment, uploading a video to youtube, copying pictures to/from your SD card to/from internal storage), you should have understandable notifications while the screen is off. The light in the gesture area should slowly glow green when a process is complete, and slowly glow red for a failure(email unsuccessfully sent, video unsucessfully uploaded, etc). In this way, you can save battery by not leaving the screen on to see when a process is complete. The red light can also be used to notify of low battery.

I'm aware that a lot of this would take forever to make(noteably a new office suite, even one ripped from other open source projects), but I believe that would be necessary to compete and be better than a notebook.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Please comment!!!
    Last edited by Noremacam; 12/10/2010 at 05:19 PM.
    I agree with your list wholeheartedly. I would like to add one thing to the gaming section and that is an app for the PRE to be used as a controller if desired. I am sure a lot of people would like physical buttons better but for those that can live with virtual controller a PRE to PalmPAd connection app would be awesome.
    I know flash support is already built into webOS 2.0 so that is a given. I really like their implementation of it as well (from the videos of flash in action since I don't have a Pre 2).

I really wish Mojo Messaging is not dead and debuts with Palm Pad. This service will increase efficiency and bring a lot of new features and functionality not seen on any other platform. The delays in deploying it have resulted in IOS becoming more competitive.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I agree with your list wholeheartedly. I would like to add one thing to the gaming section and that is an app for the PRE to be used as a controller if desired. I am sure a lot of people would like physical buttons better but for those that can live with virtual controller a PRE to PalmPAd connection app would be awesome.
    That should already be possible for 3rd party apps over wifi using the pdk I believe? Not sure if that should be 1st party though...