Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Alright, so I have compiled the list of apps people requested on this site.

Now, lets petition both HP and the app developers to make these apps for WebOS!

While I think that HP is currently working on getting apps ported for WebOS, it would be silly for such a proactive group like us to rest on our laurels and sit by idly while our favourite OS gets passed on for big name apps. The lack of apps on WebOS is in my mind the ONLY feature it is missing. It is such a stellar platform and I am sick of it not getting the recognition it deserves.

Developers keep saying they wont develop due to lack of consumer demand, and consumers keep passing on the OS due to lack of developer demand. We are at a stalemate right now, and we need to try and jumpstart the app development for WebOS. Maybe this will do nothing but at least we tried!

Lets try and do something about this!

First, I have created a petition.

Please sign it and then we will send it to HP.

Large Scale Apps on WebOS Petition

Here are the list of apps we could come up with. Beside is the contact link for each app developer. Please shoot them a message demanding an app for WebOS. Be ruthless, say you will cancel your subscription to their service (if you have one) unless we get the app. In the corporate world, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Shazam - http://www.shazam.com/music/web/contactus.html

Telenav - TeleNav - Contact Us

Navigon - Service & Support - NAVIGON

Garmin - Contact Garmin Support

Twitter - Twitter

Amazon Kindle - kindle-publishing-kdk@amazon.com

netflix - Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial

hulu - Hulu - Support

IheartRadio - iheartradio.com 750+ Radio Stations, Videos & More - Contact Us iHeartRadio | Facebook

comcast Xfinity - Comcast E-mail Support

at&t Uverse - AT&T

rhapsody - Community-powered support for Rhapsody
    Contact Us @ RealNetworks Customer Support

Audible - Contact Us About Audible

Slingplayer - Slingbox | Facebook
    Mr. Sling (MisterSling) on Twitter

Glympse - Glympse - Share Your Where

Blockbuster Online - CONTACT US
    Blockbuster | Facebook

Mint.com - Community-powered support for Mint.com

MLB Gameday - The Official MLB.com Support Forum | MLB.com: Help

Ebay - Community-powered support for eBay Mobile

Kik Messenger - Kik Messenger | Free real-time texting for all

ESPN Sportscenter - Contact ESPN - sitetools - ESPN

U-verse - AT&T

Etrade - https://us.etrade.com/e/t/welcome/contactus

CNBC - https://register.cnbc.com/email/EmailSupport.jsp

Adobe Photoshop express - Adobe Forums: Forum: Photoshop.com Express (mobile devices)

IMDB - Contact us

Kinoma - Kinoma / Contact

iSilo - iSilo forum

Words with Friends - contactus+website@newtoyinc.com

Fruit Ninja - Halfbrick Contact Us

Miso - Contact | Miso

WhatsApp - WhatsApp €” Contact

ShopSavvy - ShopSavvy - Contact | iPhone and Android Barcode Scanning & Shopping Tool

Sirius radio - http://www.sirius.com/contactus

XM radio - http://www.xmradio.com/emailus
    Last edited by rmausser; 12/09/2010 at 10:41 PM.
    Even if the developers/companies were interested in webOS, half of the apps listed here aren't possible in webOS' current state.
    Signed, whether porting these is practical or not.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    Its not the fact they cant. Its Telling them Hey, when its possible we are wanting your app And also HP can give these companies early access to some api's if they were Partners on a Launch or something
    I would like some Banks to get on board. For me TDcanada trust
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I would like some Banks to get on board. For me TDcanada trust
    Email them... I did awhile ago

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Sirius/XM radio app has been mentioned several times also .... especially now that Howard Stern has re-signed for 5 more years
    Quote Originally Posted by Erckul View Post
    Sirius/XM radio app has been mentioned several times also .... especially now that Howard Stern has re-signed for 5 more years
    Please make this happen.

Oh, and Shazam.
    Unfortunately, sales on apps in webOS are at an all-time low because of a lack of new devices. This means that no developer is willing to spend thousands of dollars (more like tens-of-thousands) to port an app from iOS or Android for a payout of only a couple hundred bucks.

Personally, I can justify making an app if it at least breaks even to the development/time cost (say $50 per hour of development). For my app, I'm still not even close to reaching that and the sales are so abysmally slow that I'm discouraged from developing anything else until a new line of products are announced.

Sadly, that means apps for webOS are more than likely doomed to the typical 1-hour sound board or web portal... for now.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  10.    #10  
    Please read before commenting.

We want HP to pay you hundreds of thousands of dollars to make the app, if you are a maker of an app for official and corporate organizations.

The entire point of this post is to try and get HP to pay developers money to make apps directly, and then get more consumers on board.

If you are just a small independent third party developer, move along, there are other posts for you to rant on.

If you develop apps to put food on the table, I would suggest iOS or Android, not WebOS at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Unfortunately, sales on apps in webOS are at an all-time low because of a lack of new devices. This means that no developer is willing to spend thousands of dollars (more like tens-of-thousands) to port an app from iOS or Android for a payout of only a couple hundred bucks.

Personally, I can justify making an app if it at least breaks even to the development/time cost (say $50 per hour of development). For my app, I'm still not even close to reaching that and the sales are so abysmally slow that I'm discouraged from developing anything else until a new line of products are announced.

Sadly, that means apps for webOS are more than likely doomed to the typical 1-hour sound board or web portal... for now.
    I signed it!
    nice list of apps. Any word if these apps are going to be available for webos?

why isn't docs to go going to be continued for web os? I used that thing everyday on the palm centro..
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Even if the developers/companies were interested in webOS, half of the apps listed here aren't possible in webOS' current state.
    can you please list those ones you believe are not capable of being made for WEBOS?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by joe-cocacola View Post
    nice list of apps. Any word if these apps are going to be available for webos?

why isn't docs to go going to be continued for web os? I used that thing everyday on the palm centro..
    Docs To Go was bought out by RIM, so they are only focusing on Blackberry.

Another app, QuickOffice, is replacing Docs To Go in WebOS 2.0, with editing coming soon as an add on feature to be purchased.
    signed
    i can all but guarantee that the vast majority of those companies do NOT keep up on the latest Palm news, hence they have no idea that next year will likely be a hit for webOS. so tell me, why would they care about making a Palm app right now? they mostly likely think, along with most people, that Palm has pretty much disappeared.

i submit that it makes no sense to petition for a webOS app right now to any of these companies. wait until after CES when these companies actually have a sense that webOS might be a worthwhile investment. simply telling them that 'HP has great things in store for webOS!' is not going to make them immediately get started on an app.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Signed. I want Iheart so bad!
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I signed it what a great idea! Hope more will come on board to sign...
    Signed... 35 signatures are laughable though... Post this to the front page

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Please do not take the following as discouragement or an attempt to derail this thread.

Guys,

Can anyone get some of the editors/writers here at P|C involved with this? I've read over the petition and while I can't speak for HP, I don't like the tone nor some of the errors in the document. Making claims like "the only way to fix xyz" are seldom true. It almost has a "we know better than you do" tone to it, which is unfortunate. Also, there are errors like "the WebOS operating system" which could discourage people from taking the petition seriously since it gets the product name wrong and is redundant. It should be written as "webOS" or "HP webOS" (operating system is already part of the name).

Again, this is just my take and I could be way off on this. However, it may not hurt to have one of the P|C guys give this a good proof reading.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast