Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I searched, honest, and could not find this. Sorry if it's been posted. Edit: I guess since this was on a Pre Plus, I put it in the wrong forum.

I knew this day was coming, but was surprised I missed any discussion about it. I was watching some of the dev day videos since I couldn't go, and one of the HP presenters had to reboot his Pre Plus before he could get a demo to run (probably out of memory :P). I noticed when he put it back in camera view after it started to boot up, that the boot logo was a circle with HP on it instead of the familiar Palm logo. I had to re-watch some Pre 2 videos to make sure I didn't miss something, and sure enough, those had the Palm boot logo. The presenter is a senior webOS platform director. He must have been running a newer 2.0 build than what's on the Pre 2's. It was definitely 2.0 because it had the just type thing on the screen when it booted up.

Here's a link to the video: The 2.0 home screen and demo fail is at 17:25. The HP logo shows up at the 18:20 mark.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/08/2010 at 06:30 PM.
    is it possible he changed the boot logo himself?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    is it possible he changed the boot logo himself?

Most likely
    If Im not mistaking, only the luna restart boot screen can be changed. So if this was a boot screen that was changed, it would have said Palm for a bit then switched to the HP logo (where the palm logo usually starts glowing) right? If this is the case, Its sad to not see the word Palm anymore. It will probably switch with a future update.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    Most likely
    Why do you think so? I considered homebrew, but since they renamed everything to HP webOS, it seems likely that an HP director might have a new build with that change rolled into it. Not to mention those are the only people with access to webOS 2.0 for the Pre or Pre Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    If Im not mistaking, only the luna restart boot screen can be changed. So if this was a boot screen that was changed, it would have said Palm for a bit then switched to the HP logo (where the palm logo usually starts glowing) right? If this is the case, Its sad to not see the word Palm anymore. It will probably switch with a future update.
    You are correct. The first part of the boot is done through linux and not webos. Current theme packing and patches do not touch the linux side.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    the easiest way to change things is to use QuickInstall

is this what you are looking for?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...palm-logo.html
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    You are correct. The first part of the boot is done through linux and not webos. Current theme packing and patches do not touch the linux side.
    I'm pretty sure they showed it long enough to show it was not glowing too. I don't remember seeing a way to disable the glow, only change the logo.. is that right?
    the glow is a logo change. Its two images and fades between the two to simulate a glow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I'm pretty sure they showed it long enough to show it was not glowing too. I don't remember seeing a way to disable the glow, only change the logo.. is that right?
    If you didn't want it to "glow" you would simply use the same file for both images. there would be no indication that it is switching between identical images
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If you didn't want it to "glow" you would simply use the same file for both images. there would be no indication that it is switching between identical images
    Oh, I thought the glow was separate. Been long enough since I looked at that thread.
    <<Thread moved>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  13.    #13  
    I really thought this would generate conversation, given all of the posts lamenting the rebranding of Palm webOS to HP webOS. Are people mistaking it for a boot logo tweak thread, or is it really not that interesting? I thought it was.
    I think that he changed the screen, especially since we just recently found out (for sure) that Palm is running as an independent arm of HP. I think you will continue to see Palm out there for the foreseeable future.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    It is VERY easy to change the actual boot logo... You just replace BootLogo.tga in the webOS doctor and you flash the device. You may even be able to find the file on the device and replace it there.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    The point isn't about how easy it is to change, it's that they changed it at all. The transition to HP continues.

Personally, I think the rebranding is a good thing. HP already has strong brand recognition with computers, so consumers will recognize HP and be more inclined to purchase an HP phone. Anyone lamenting the rebranding prefers a platform with limited developer support.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    The point isn't about how easy it is to change, it's that they changed it at all. The transition to HP continues.

Personally, I think the rebranding is a good thing. HP already has strong brand recognition with computers, so consumers will recognize HP and be more inclined to purchase an HP phone. Anyone lamenting the rebranding prefers a platform with limited developer support.

It could be that they just wanted to see if anyone would notice it. But nobody knows for sure.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    They rebranded everything on the Palm site to HP. I doubt they did this just to see if people would notice. This change was just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    They rebranded everything on the Palm site to HP. I doubt they did this just to see if people would notice. This change was just a matter of time.

Well we don't know for sure if all current devices (from the Pre and Pixi lines) will get the HP boot logo or not. Obviously all HP branded devices will (such as printers) since HP doesn't want to sell an HP printer with the Palm logo on it.
    Arthur Thornton

You can see how easy it is to change boot logo's in my signature along with the link to some logos I've made.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast