Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. schraal's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
       #1  
    hi,
    As of today I get a mobile optimised version of Engadget when visiting on my Pre using the browser. Anyone else noticed this change?
  2. #2  
    me too, and I'm not even using the iPhone spoof.
  3. schraal's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
       #3  
    sweet!
  4. kohn's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #4  
    ...and it's awesome!
    Palm Pilot III > V > Vx > m505 > Kyocera 6035 > Samsung i300 > i330 > i500 > Palm Treo 700P > 755P > Centro > and now (2) first day available Palm Pre's (Sprint)
  5. #5  
    I use the engadget app
  6. #6  
    They haven't updated the webOS app in ages . I think a lot of companies are going to go the mobile optimized route as opposed to apps in the future and it only makes sense with the current and future landscape of smart phones.
  7. sbono13's Avatar
    Posts
    426 Posts
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    #7  
    I do wish the top stories filmstrip were swipable (like it is for the iPhone).
  8. #8  
    They really like webOS over at Engadget, too
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

    I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    I do wish the top stories filmstrip were swipable (like it is for the iPhone).
    It is on the Engadget app for webOS. Download it for free in the App Catalog
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    They haven't updated the webOS app in ages . I think a lot of companies are going to go the mobile optimized route as opposed to apps in the future and it only makes sense with the current and future landscape of smart phones.
    I hope so.

    A mobile optimized web page would be better in my opinion as it would create a more uniform vision of the site. I think the "app"lificaiton of the mobile web is cloistering off a lot of the useable web. Small guys like webOS usually get left out in the cold, but if there were a standard mobile web, then both businesses and consumers would win.

    nnb
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    I hope so.

    A mobile optimized web page would be better in my opinion as it would create a more uniform vision of the site. I think the "app"lificaiton of the mobile web is cloistering off a lot of the useable web. Small guys like webOS usually get left out in the cold, but if there were a standard mobile web, then both businesses and consumers would win.

    nnb
    Ya Engadget is a tech blog and they have a hard time keeping up with app updates. Android, IOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry, webOS, Symbian, Mego.....just to many
  12. #12  
    ya double
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    I hope so.

    A mobile optimized web page would be better in my opinion as it would create a more uniform vision of the site. I think the "app"lificaiton of the mobile web is cloistering off a lot of the useable web. Small guys like webOS usually get left out in the cold, but if there were a standard mobile web, then both businesses and consumers would win.

    nnb
    iOS has defined the path, and the path is Apps. They are taking the wrong path, but that's the path.

    They could have done the apps based on HTML, but they usually prefer to do them native, so an app for each platorm.

    -- Sent from my Palm Device using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    iOS has defined the path, and the path is Apps. They are taking the wrong path, but that's the path.

    They could have done the apps based on HTML, but they usually prefer to do them native, so an app for each platorm.

    -- Sent from my Palm Device using Forums
    Not a web developer and i do not know much about html5, but i have a feeling that the combination of htlm5, a larger percentage of people browsing from smaller devices, and a fragmented world of OS's, browsers, and screen sizes will move away form apples app structure.

    When the iPhone first came out there was definitely a need for apps for websites, but that is changing quickly in my layman's mind.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    iOS has defined the path, and the path is Apps. They are taking the wrong path, but that's the path.

    They could have done the apps based on HTML, but they usually prefer to do them native, so an app for each platorm.

    -- Sent from my Palm Device using Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Not a web developer and i do not know much about html5, but i have a feeling that the combination of htlm5, a larger percentage of people browsing from smaller devices, and a fragmented world of OS's, browsers, and screen sizes will move away form apples app structure.

    When the iPhone first came out there was definitely a need for apps for websites, but that is changing quickly in my layman's mind.
    I agree that the path seems to be set. I just hope that the track starts to right it self. Many of the huge app count that iOS and Android seem to tout are simple web interfaces. Of course most people don't seem to understand that and would rather go to their Engadget app than go to www.enagadget.com on their phone. I think that most people forget that this is a possibility. And now businesses are starting the get smart enough to realize that having dedicated apps help them to sell...even if it's to the detriment of the consumer they are courting.

    nnb

Posting Permissions