Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, Amazon may actually be working on a Kindle reader app for webOS, or at least doing work that could easily spill over into a webOS app. They're about to release full book purchasing and reading using a web browser. I loaded it up on my pre and it displays suprisingly well, ignoring the bugs that need to be worked out (text doesn't render properly, meh). Honestly, it's getting a bit ridiculous that webOS doesn't have a reader app yet. Heck, even Windows Phone 7 is getting one soon, and it just came out!

I really think Amazon should be one of HP/Palm's top priorities for getting apps brought to webOS. HP/Palm should even take the initiative to write it themselves, like they did with the Facebook app, as I think the Facebook app is better than on other platforms anyway.

You can find a view of web reader formatted for the Pre at my website. Don't have a Pre 2, so I don't know if the bugs have been worked out by a browser update or not.

[EDIT]The text displays properly on PreFox - if anyone has it installed. It's pretty cool, actually. I could really see this on the device[/EDIT]
    Last edited by A.Stice; 12/07/2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Update
    Ooooooooh. I'm getting a Kindle for Xmas, so gonna keep an eye on this. Can't wait!
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  3.    #3  
    I took some blurry pictures for the people that don't have PreFox installed, you can still load it up in the default browser, but you won't be able to see how the text renders. Hopefully someone with access to a better camera will upload some better shots, otherwise I'll upload some more when I get off work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post

I really think Amazon should be one of HP/Palm's top priorities for getting apps brought to webOS. HP/Palm should even take the initiative to write it themselves, like they did with the Facebook app, as I think the Facebook app is better than on other platforms anyway.

I also think so.
    We have the Kobo eReader app which is now Border's books. They have 10's of thousands of books, bestsellers, etc. It doesn't have the eye candy but it works.
  6.    #6  
    It's not about having a eReader app, it's about having THE eReader app. I have a Kindle, and have spent well over a hundred dollars on books for it, why would I want to switch to the Kobo. That's not even mentioning the fact that Kobo's 10s of thousands of book can't compare to Amazon's over 750,000 books. No, we really do NEED a Kindle app.
    It's not about having a eReader app, it's about having THE eReader app. I have a Kindle, and have spent well over a hundred dollars on books for it, why would I want to switch to the Kobo. That's not even mentioning the fact that Kobo's 10s of thousands of book can't compare to Amazon's over 750,000 books. No, we really do NEED a Kindle app.
    I stand corrected. Kobo's eBook library has almost 2 million books...

http://www.kobobooks.com/about_us
  8.    #8  
    That's incorrect. That number include the public domain books that you can get, but are not part of any particular ebook store. The Kindle store has well more than 2 million when you include public domain books. In fact, Amazon used to claim they had over 2 million books, like Kobo does now, but decided they would rather advertise the books they actually offer, and not the others. But, that's not even the point here. The point is that the Amazon apps get much more publicity than the Kobo app does, so not having the Amazon app hurts webOS much more than not having a Kobo app would, just like having a Kobo app helps much less than having a Kindle app would.

The fact that Amazon hasn't developed an app says that Amazon is not confident enough in the future of webOS to develop an app, or that HP/Palm hasn't been doing a good enough job of reaching out to big developers like Amazon to prove that webOS will be a successful platform, or, worse, both.
    I see your point but the two "big name" b&m book stores (at least in the SE) are Barnes & Noble and Borders Books. Name recognition isn't and issue for them.

My point is people can look at Palm and say "I need an eReader app" and we have one that's par for the Kindle app except "notariety". If someone wants Tom Clancy's latest book, and Kobo has it on Palm, I'd think they'd be satisfied with that.
  10.    #10  
    I see your point, but at this point it's not enough to say we have an eReader app, so we don't need a Kindle app. Many people, myself and almost everyone I know included, have already purchased books on the Kindle. I'm not saying that the Kobo app isn't good, it's probably excellent, but without at least the option of using the Kindle app it looks bad for HP, Palm and the platform as a whole.
    I see your point, but at this point it's not enough to say we have an eReader app, so we don't need a Kindle app. Many people, myself and almost everyone I know included, have already purchased books on the Kindle. I'm not saying that the Kobo app isn't good, it's probably excellent, but without at least the option of using the Kindle app it looks bad for HP, Palm and the platform as a whole.
    This++. If you have a kindle you will want the kindle app on your phone. If you have a nook you will want a nook app on your phone, if you have a Kobo eReader you will want the Kobo app. The nice thing about having a phone app that works with the reader you have is that they sync to the cloud and you can pick up with one device where you left off with the other. (at least with Amazon and B&N, not sure with the Kobo).

If you don't have any of these devices then you might not care which is available on webOS. What I really want is a ePub reader that works with the Adobe DRM that the public library uses to "lend" ebooks. Since I had not heard of the Kobo software for webOS till this thread I will check it out.

Edit: The Kobo software does "sync bookmarks". This just might push me into deciding which eInk reader to buy (eventually) still researching the public library thing.
    Last edited by camiller; 12/08/2010 at 09:58 AM.
    --Chris

Palm History:

Palm Personal => Palm Personal with Palm Pro upgrade card => Palm III => Palm IIIx => Palm IIIxe => Palm T|X => Palm Pre
    Admittedly this from Amazon's own words, but the Kindle is:

The #1 Best-selling, #1 Most-Wished For, and #1 Most Gifted Product on Amazon
    So it's not just "notoriety" or reputation, where an official Twitter client is easily bested by a third-party one, it really is buy in. All those people who've bought into the Kindle need a Kindle app to read their Kindle books on. They're not going to use an app that doesn't sync with their Kindle purchases. So in essence, Palm does need one.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I hope we get something like this, and soon!!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Doesn't the Nook allow for checking out library e-books?
    Let's be real. Is Amazon really going to develop an app for Kindle that has 1.3% smartphone market share??? Unless and until we increase the market share, I can't see a Kindle app for WebOS.

I read a lot of ebooks and for those that don't know, you can pretty easily put your ebooks on your Pre by downloading to your Kindle for PC, using a de-drm program (add an s in front of kindle and do a google search) then use pReader to read. If you really want to clean up the file (but not necessary), use Calibre. However, the kindle file on pReader looks very good, with just on occasional formating issue.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Let's be real. Is Amazon really going to develop an app for Kindle that has 1.3% smartphone market share??? Unless and until we increase the market share, I can't see a Kindle app for WebOS.
    It is a vicious cycle: webOS doesn't get apps unless it gets a bigger market share, but people won't adopt the phone because it doesn't have app X or app Y.

I can't tell you how many people have noticed and like my Pre, but when it comes time for them to buy a phone they don't get a Pre because it doesn't have app X or app Y.

HP: if you are reading this you need to get Amazon to develop the kindle app, even if it involves paying them to do it. It doesn't matter how nice webOS 2.0 is, you aren't going to increase market share until some high profile apps, like the kindle app, are available for webOS.
    +1

I think there are about a dozen critical apps every smartphone or tablet needs: music player, ebook reader, browser, GPS, email, calendar/PIM, document editor, etc. Make sure you have at least one version of each app available, even if you have to pay or buy them, then allow the market place to replace them.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    pReader can already read Mobipocket files which are al that AZW (Whispernet) files are esentially but there is no easy way to get the deviceID's needed to unlock the DRM.

Additionally the newer file format, "Topaz, *.tpz" is not fully publicly documented and is not supported by pReader.

The ideal would be to get Amazon to allow a developer to extend pReader to work with their system rather than reinvent the entire thing - low cost to them for little effort.
    I thought I saw somewhere that HP/Palm were "pressuring" Amazon,Borders... for WebOS apps, for the upcoming "PalmPads".
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    I thought I saw somewhere that HP/Palm were "pressuring" Amazon,Borders... for WebOS apps, for the upcoming "PalmPads".
    I don't remember seeing this, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were. An Amazon app, a Netflix app, a Hulu app, etc, would all be great things to announce as partners with their tablet and would do a lot to bring users and developers back into the fold.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast