1.    #1  
    Am I hallucinating or does this Flash video play in the Palm Pre browser? Droid Phone Explodes, Destroys Man's Ear In Bloody Mess

Note: there are two videos on that page. Tap on the top one.

I saw this in JayCanuck's twitter feed, viewed it in my Pre's browser and was shocked when the video started playing.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

The top one said I needed flash. And the bottom one had the normal icon that it shows on flash content without flash.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    I don't think it's a Flash video? Right-clicking on it doesn't give the usual "About Flash" option. So maybe HTML5
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  4.    #4  
    The top video is in an iframe. I can right-click on it in Firefox and select "Show Only This Frame". Then after you hit the "play" button you can right click on it and see the usual Flash menu (Settings, Global Settings, About Adobe Flash Player...).
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

the bottom one doesn't play on my Pre+. It just shows the question mark...
    I get the "flash is required," message.
  7.    #7  
    The bottom one doesn't play on mine either, it's the top one that plays (see original post). And I know flash isn't available yet, but can anyone else tell my why the top video plays in the browser? Am I the only that's able to play it?

it doesn't play for me. try it again and see if it plays. maybe you played it from a different url than that link points to? the top one eventually times out and tells me I need flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    The bottom one doesn't play on mine either, it's the top one that plays (see original post). And I know flash isn't available yet, but can anyone else tell my why the top video plays in the browser? Am I the only that's able to play it?
    You seem to be the only one.
  10.    #10  
    This is really aggravating. I swear, I am not using any mind-altering substances! It definitely plays for me. I went to the mobile version of this thread and clicked on the link in the first post, and it plays. It's not formatted very well, seems like I'm not getting all of the viewing area, but it plays, with audio.

I've got the following browser patches: Browser Mega Mix (w/neato!), Browser Scrollbar, Change Number of Bookmarks on Startpage, and Slider Blocks Orientation Change. I have also applied the "Web browser ad-blocker" and "iPhone user agent spoof" system tweaks using WOSQI. That last one might be significant because the page does sort of look iPhone-ish, so maybe I'm being directed to a page that other users aren't. But iPhones don't do Flash either, so what's going on?
    Last edited by monkeydog; 12/03/2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Because W*T*F* gets masked by PreCentral.

@Monkeydog:

I think the site believes you are using an iPhone and therefore feeds the video in h.264 (or whatever the HTML 5 video format is called). It's too bad the site doesn't recognize Blazer as an HTML 5 browser, then it would work for all of us.

I've recently noticed quite a few more sites that are doing this, at least I think they are. When the page first loads, the video box looks like a flash video with the lego and question mark, but then it changes to show the play button and the video wil be playable in the browser. They aren't flash, though, just an alternative stream format.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    @Monkeydog:

I think the site believes you are using an iPhone and therefore feeds the video in h.264 (or whatever the HTML 5 video format is called). It's too bad the site doesn't recognize Blazer as an HTML 5 browser, then it would work for all of us.

I've recently noticed quite a few more sites that are doing this, at least I think they are. When the page first loads, the video box looks like a flash video with the lego and question mark, but then it changes to show the play button and the video wil be playable in the browser. They aren't flash, though, just an alternative stream format.
    I think that must be the answer. I tried removing the spoof and after a reboot I can no longer see the video ("Flash 9 or greater required") but WOSQI still reports that I have the spoof. I think WOSQI is confused. Trying to remove/reinstall now to see if it comes back.

Interesting that the web site is dynamically changing its streaming method based on user agent.

that exlplains it. i don't currently have the iphone spoof on my phone.
  14.    #14  
    Reinstalling the user agent spoof made the video play again. I guess the lesson here is to use the spoof if you want to see video on sites that have specifically coded it for iPhone users.

BTW, that exploding Droid phone totally looks like a scam to me. I think he walked into his car door and busted his brand new phone, now he wants a new one. Not to get off topic or anything.

Reinstalling the user agent spoof made the video play again. I guess the lesson here is to use the spoof if you want to see video on sites that have specifically coded it for iPhone users.

BTW, that exploding Droid phone totally looks like a scam to me. I think he walked into his car door and busted his brand new phone, now he wants a new one. Not to get off topic or anything.
    Its simple. The Androids are attacking. lol
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    It auto-plays for me, too. I'm also using the iPhone spoof.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Played right out the gate for me. Smooth as hell too.