That was a pretty good article, slightly slanted but good nonetheless. On a side note, with these "alleged" new devices that are "coming soon" and the complete lack of advertising and promotions of the Pre 2, perhaps they don't feel the need to waste away millions of dollars, in advertising, on an upgraded Pre2. Those that know about or want one, will get one. It might be that HP knows, behind closed doors, that once this new hardware hits the shelves, it's going to be mind-blowing, and they will start their campaign on something that is actually worth spending the money on.

Purely hypothetical, I know, but it's plausible and it would make sense.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    excellent read. I just hope that HP comes up with better ads than they did for having the printer baby driving down the freeway.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Honestly I've had the pre for a year now and the speed on which improvements are made is just atad too slow and quite frankly the PrPrPr $2$ $isn$'$t$ $catching$ $my$ $attention$ $at$ $all$, $not$ $to$ $mention$ $I$'$m$ $with$ $sprint$ $so$ $I$'$m$ $moving$ $on$ $to$ $a$ $4G$ $phone$, $it$'$s$ $been$ $fun$ $while$ $it$ $lasted$, $that$ $much$ $I$ $do$ $say$.
    I'm pretty sure that HP wont do much to advertise the Pre 2. It's mostly there to be an upgrade for the fans, a new developer device, the new 'benchmark' in terms of power, memory and so-forth. Kinda like the Nexus One maybe.

What we're going to see early next year is the 'next gen' of WebOS devices - hopefully backed up by a slew of new apps that the developers will have had a couple of months to put together.

The Pre 2 is thinking ahead, not just a stopgap.

What would have happened if they hadn't released it?

We'd get the slow incremental updates of the Pres and Pixis to WebOS 2.0, which probably wouldn't be able to handle it all that well (by comparison to the Pre 2).
    We'd get underwhelmed developers, less excitement about building new apps - and much less powerful platforms to do it on.

The Pre 2 is part of the prep work for the big push of WebOS devices.. Its not the push itself
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    Was this a joke? That was a ridiculous article. Laughable. Looks like he was brainstorming ideas of how webOS could succeed, then wrote the article. Basically, he wants to assume that HP is going to come out with a great product and that it will succeed (succeed=3rd/4th most popular platform) because of the increased amount of competition in the market today. Sure. Pretty big assumptions, indeed, and he doesn't back up his arguments at all. Speculating sure is easy to do though. The punchline comes next week when he gives his timeline to reach success. My prediction: it will be longer than Android took to go from 10/22/08 to its dominance in the market today, despite what he thinks is a favorable market.

"At the same time, we simply must assume that HP Palm will produce good products and spend the money required to get back in the game. Everything they’ve said and done since purchasing Palm tends to support that assumption, and certainly they need to make some headway in mobile. It would take a complete disintegration of anything approaching intelligence at HP Palm for the company to introduce another round of less-than-stellar hardware and poor marketing."

Then his bio goes a little something like "He's been a Palm fan since the very beginning, and thinks webOS is the best mobile platform going. He tries to keep things positive, and is interested most in the strategic stuff in life. "

Good for a laugh, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    My prediction: it will be longer than Android took to go from 10/22/08 to its dominance in the market today, despite what he thinks is a favorable market.
    Well, thats largely due to Google's strategy.... giving it away to anyone who wants to use it, so long as Google gets a percentage of the advertising money.
    Thats why you get all these OEMs pushing out new devices every month, because they dont have any of the 'per unit' fees that Windows Mobile or Phone 7 has.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    Agreed. Every company has their own strategies, and Google's done a great job executing on their plans. The point I was getting at was that he pretty much has free reign over his timeline, as long as it's not shorter than Google's, and fans will eat that stuff up.
    2008/09: Android won't succeed. It's cool and geeky and all, but Apple has such a stranglehold on the market, it's gonna be impossible. Apple has 100.000 apps, Google has 5.000. It's a one player game. Game Over.

2010/11: webOS won't succeed. It's nice and pretty and all, but Apple and Google have such a stranglehod on the market...
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    ...and this is so true - Quote.. Andriods isn't winning because it's better, it's winning because it's on more phones and in more places. Quote end..

Thanks for the link.

Hey RUSH do you modify your avatar every 5 minutes? LOL
    He's a chameleon
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I've seen several BB Torch commercials lately, and they're pretty good.... they actually show the phone in action, doing cool stuff.

Why can't they make commercials like that for webOS phones?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Today, of course, Android is the best-selling mobile OS, while the iPhone is the best-selling device.
    Actually, he's wrong because iPods are included in the iOS numbers.

webOS is arguably the best mobile OS at its core, but (as we all know) it runs on questionable hardware and a diminishing number of carriers.
    Arguably the best mobile OS? By who, him and a few on this forum?

webOS (not the Pre or Pixi) has continuously been ranked one of the lowest and least-capable mobile operating systems since its existence. I'm sure new capable hardware will magically make webOS appeal to consumers and developers overnigjt, not to mention the glaring deficiencies (mic API?!?).

Also, diminishing number of carriers? The Pre/Pixi was available worldwide on many different carriers and available on 3 of the 4 largest U.S. carriers.
    Last edited by barkerja; 12/08/2010 at 11:33 AM.
    i just hope that not only are they working on new devices but resources are used to produce api's that would improve day to day functionality such as a microphone api would