Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    I'm almost certain that this is a problem on Wikipedia's end. Wikipedia's mobile page has always worked well with the webOS browser going all the way back to version 1.0. I've been on webOS 1.4.5 for a long time but suddenly a few days ago, Wikipedia suddenly stops working when before it was working just fine on the same version of the OS. Nothing has changed on Palm's end. This would imply that Wikipedia changed something that broke their page.
    Well said!
    A Web phone that can't view the web properly. You're telling me the whole web has to cater to Palm in order for our phone to work?!?
    The bug at Wikipedia is https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26239 -- I just commented there with a fix they can apply to their page template.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Thank you! Its nice to have Wikipedia working again.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    Ben Combee 2010-12-08 21:54:07 UTC
    I'm in the Palm developer support group. I looked at the current page output
    for something like and tried the browser
    with a local copy of the page.

The problem is that in your updated template, you have the lines

<meta name = "viewport" content = "width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0;
    maximum-scale=1.0;">
    <meta name = "viewport" content = "user-scalable=0;" />

The Palm web browser gets confused by two viewport tags. If you move the new
    "user-scalable=0" to the first line so it's just

<meta name = "viewport" content = "width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0;
    maximum-scale=1.0;user-scalable=0;">

then the content works again on webOS. I'll file a browser bug, but you can
    fix your end much quicker.
    Comment 10 Hampton Catlin 2010-12-08 22:12:27 UTC
    Just deployed the recommendation from Ben!

Can someone verify if it worked?
    Comment 11 Aaron 2010-12-08 22:14:01 UTC
    100% fixed, thank you very much.

Was not the end of the world, but was just frustrating to deal with this from a
    very valuable source of mobile information.

They say on the wikipedia thread it should be fixed, but isn't on my Pre minus 1.4.5.

[update] ooops sorry wasn't aware fixing was just minutes ago and browser caching of templates can occur on pre as well. So after closing the browser the mobike version works for me now too, thx ben.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 12/08/2010 at 04:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    They say on the wikipedia thread it should be fixed, but isn't on my Pre minus 1.4.5.
    It works on my Pre Plus running 1.4.5, so maybe the update hasn't been pushed to all of Wikipedia's servers yet...
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    It works perfectly again! Thanks for getting them to fix it.
  8.    #68  
    it's working for me. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    A Web phone that can't view the web properly. You're telling me the whole web has to cater to Palm in order for our phone to work?!?
    Replace Palm with Microsoft Internet Explorer, and you would be looking at the internet about a year or two ago.

I can name a whole bunch of websites that didn't work with Firefox and you must use IE.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrg548 View Post
    I looked it up, and Wikipedia's response was:

Was there an update of some type on Dec 2 that would have done this? If not, how did every Palm Pre start doing this?

I tried checking the file on my Pre (/usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so) that the iPhone spoof changes to verify this, but it appears to be a binary file or something else that I don't know how to read. I'm not sure how else I could verify it, but if it's correct it could also explain the issues with ESPN that some have reported.

I'm going to note this issue and Wikipedia's information to the iPhone spoof thread, too, so the change-user-agent developer can look at it and adjust the patch accordingly.
    Actually reading the comments again, it appears that Wikipedia was testing using an old version of the SDK, which might explain the "Desktop" part. Anyone can confirm with the SDK?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    985 Global Posts
    What a relief! All the pinching and zooming was getting old
    Can't wait for the next site to do this. Any bets of who and when?
    Yay it's working well for me again.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Yay it's working well for me again.
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Can't wait for the next site to do this. Any bets of who and when?
    Digg.com. Now.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Digg.com. Now.
    Ha, MTE. Wonder if Ben could drop a note over there...although honestly, the Digg team seems kinda weak or maybe it's just the people they hired to their busted api.

That said, I do hope they make the Pre more robust. Didn't Precentral manage to break itself on the Pre by forgetting a >, " or some such?
    Last edited by malpha; 12/09/2010 at 09:42 AM.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Digg.com. Now.
    That's old news and I was implying sites that people care about and frequent
    Digg's mobile site is affected by a issue with the CSS coding "text-rendering: optimizeLegibility". This is a bug in our WebKit implementation and will be fixed in a future update to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    Digg's mobile site is affected by a issue with the CSS coding "text-rendering: optimizeLegibility". This is a bug in our WebKit implementation and will be fixed in a future update to webOS.
    If it really get's fixed for good then many thanks to everyone who contributed to resolving this persistent and annoying problem.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Ok, mobile.nytimes.com is acting weird; if I click on any link on their mobile website, it gets forwarded to their full website. I checked on an iphone, there is no forwarding to the full website; it loads the mobile website.

So, they are parsing the webos browser string and deciding its a desktop!

Very frustrating.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast