Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Likewise. Because we have to look at all those "Appeal from..." banners, they BEST fix this.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    I can't help but wonder if this problem isn't related to the new banners.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshLitwiller View Post
    I can't help but wonder if this problem isn't related to the new banners.

It cant just be the banners because both my friend's iphone and android device have no problem with view wikipedia mobile...
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    I found a free app thats a temporary workaround called "Wapedia" in the app catalog for all those that are bothered by this as much as I am...

I formats to larger font so its easier to read than the pinching an zooming
    I've been using Wapedia also - don't like it as well.

Also have another one called Infopedia - no longer free, but was free way back when, when I first downloaded it. Don't like it as well as Wikipedia Mobile.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Been having to use Wapedia as well. Not as good as WP Mobile, as I really rather have everything in one page, but at least I can read it!
    I've the same problem on a GSM pre plus....

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    yep.. noticed it in class today
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I wonder if it would require a webos OTA update or if its on wikipedia's end?
    I'm almost certain that this is a problem on Wikipedia's end. Wikipedia's mobile page has always worked well with the webOS browser going all the way back to version 1.0. I've been on webOS 1.4.5 for a long time but suddenly a few days ago, Wikipedia suddenly stops working when before it was working just fine on the same version of the OS. Nothing has changed on Palm's end. This would imply that Wikipedia changed something that broke their page.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colop View Post
    maybe it`s about the new jpg-banner at every page showing jimmy wales, the founder of wikipedia. Has anybody analyzed the technical side of this problem? I mean somebody looking for changes in the code etc. ...
    ...and to think that I donated some money. If this problem doesn't get fixed, then do I have a right to get my money back?
    Fix doesn't seem to be deployed yet

Quote Originally Posted by bbrg548 View Post
    I looked it up, and Wikipedia's response was:

Was there an update of some type on Dec 2 that would have done this? If not, how did every Palm Pre start doing this?

I tried checking the file on my Pre (/usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so) that the iPhone spoof changes to verify this, but it appears to be a binary file or something else that I don't know how to read. I'm not sure how else I could verify it, but if it's correct it could also explain the issues with ESPN that some have reported.

I'm going to note this issue and Wikipedia's information to the iPhone spoof thread, too, so the change-user-agent developer can look at it and adjust the patch accordingly.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Fix doesn't seem to be deployed yet
    Well, how 'bout letting @wikipedia know again that this needs to be addressed asap? Twitter anyone?
    Yup it's not formatted correctly and not readable @ a glance.

One of many site issues that will keep coming. This IS a Palm problem in the long run and instead of waiting weeks or months for a website that has no interest in WebOS, Palm needs to make their web browser able to work. This is a constant anoying embarrassment.

You'll all be pleased to know this problem is also occurring in WebOS 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    One of many site issues that will keep coming. This IS a Palm problem in the long run and instead of waiting weeks or months for a website that has no interest in WebOS, Palm needs to make their web browser able to work. This is a constant anoying embarrassment.

Yup. Palm has the least compatible WebKit-based browser out there and I really can't figure out what they did to it to cause things like this, the Digg redesign, the Google problems, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yup. Palm has the least compatible WebKit-based browser out there and I really can't figure out what they did to it to cause things like this, the Digg redesign, the Google problems, etc.
    Not Palm's problem.

It looks more like those sites are adding new files to their systems (CSS files to handle design) and they aren't setting webOS as an allowed download OS (based on user agent).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Really? How would that explain something like PreFox working or the iPhone spoof patch not working? Well, idk what user agent string Prefox has actually...

But it is really odd that the Digg page won't show anything with text on it and it's really embarrassing for Digg if the fix is as simple as a user agent allowance (especially since they now show the mobile site to Pre phones whereas they didn't prior to the redesign).
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Not Palm's problem.

It looks more like those sites are adding new files to their systems (CSS files to handle design) and they aren't setting webOS as an allowed download OS (based on user agent).
    This is a constant problem that only happens to WebOS. Please explain why this isn't happening to W7? The whole Internet snapped to it and made their sites compatible to W7 just in time?!? This doesn't happen to any other device, period!
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I would consider this Palm's problem due to the fact that wikipedia is part of universal search, and sold as a "feature" and the feature is now partly broken.
    These kind of things will always be a problem until Palm is taken seriously again. Using a webOS based phone is basically like using a 3.5" floppy disk at this point. Completely outdated and forgotten. HP just dragging their feet and giving the "in the coming months" excuse constantly is more than enough reason for me to move to the Evo as soon as they are within my price range.
  20.    #60  
    I'm tired of spamming companies to get things done for palm
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast