Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    987 Global Posts
    Palm needs to be aware of this asap wikipedia search is basically a feature of webos I'm really bothered by this...I use it almost daily
    I submitted it as Bug 26249. There was no selection to choose it as a bug for Palm Pre, so I had to submit it as a bug with the iPhone. In the comments, I detailed the bug as being for the Palm Pre.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    oh great now espn won't work at all unless I clear cookies, which stinks then I have to re sign in to all the websites I use that keep you signed in ie precentral, and I am not about to do this 2 or 3 times a day.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar5287 View Post
    I submitted it as Bug 26249. There was no selection to choose it as a bug for Palm Pre, so I had to submit it as a bug with the iPhone. In the comments, I detailed the bug as being for the Palm Pre.
    I looked it up, and Wikipedia's response was:
    Around the 2nd of December, all Palm Pre devices changed their User Agent
    string to no longer have the term "Palm" or "Pre" anywhere in it. It is now

"Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.3; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko)
    Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Desktop/1.0"

So... it claims to be desktop. And, our site responded with the desktop version
    of the mobile site. Whoops!

Deploying the fix now!
    Was there an update of some type on Dec 2 that would have done this? If not, how did every Palm Pre start doing this?

I tried checking the file on my Pre (/usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so) that the iPhone spoof changes to verify this, but it appears to be a binary file or something else that I don't know how to read. I'm not sure how else I could verify it, but if it's correct it could also explain the issues with ESPN that some have reported.

I'm going to note this issue and Wikipedia's information to the iPhone spoof thread, too, so the change-user-agent developer can look at it and adjust the patch accordingly.
  5.    #25  
    SOmetimes I wonder how much testing palm does
    Well, I checked my string on a website and this is mine:

Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0

And I still get the crappy site.
    also having the problem hier
    how did palm distribute this "update"?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I'm fairly certain Palm cannot update with this without an OTA update.

FTR, via whatismyuseragent.com, my UA is:

Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
    also having the problem hier
    how did palm distribute this "update"?
    I kinda doubt it's Palm, I've had 1.4.5 for the longest time.

This issue only happened recently for me.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    same for me. I never authorized any update from palm since 1.4.5. that's why I'm suspicious. But what other ways are there for changing the string of the browser - all of a sudden..?
  11.    #31  
    Anything can happen when your connected to Internet. hasn't it been reported that google can and has updated our google maps app without an app catalog update? I think thats how it works, cause the stock apps arnt in the catalog anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    Anything can happen when your connected to Internet. hasn't it been reported that google can and has updated our google maps app without an app catalog update? I think thats how it works, cause the stock apps arnt in the catalog anyway.
    Yeah, but most of the Google Maps app is on the server. That's why it's slow as hell.

And even if Palm had, people are reporting that their user agent strings still say Pre. So, Wikipedia has more likely done something.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    Anything can happen when your connected to Internet.
    Exactly.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    I'm fairly certain Palm cannot update with this without an OTA update.

FTR, via whatismyuseragent.com, my UA is:

Same here:
    'Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0'
    After reinstalling the iPhone spoof, I get:
    'Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; en)(webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0 -CET'
    This is NOT what Wikipedia's telling us. mrmopar5287, would you be able to update this with Bugzilla?
    Global Posts
    987 Global Posts
    I wonder if it has to do with the "donations" that the the founder of Wikipedia has been requesting on the full site latley...

Maybe Palm is getting cheap on the contributions made to this free online encyclopedia that's part of it's proprietary universal search. hmmmmm... It's always about the money.
    Last edited by migs; 12/05/2010 at 11:30 PM.
    maybe it`s about the new jpg-banner at every page showing jimmy wales, the founder of wikipedia. Has anybody analyzed the technical side of this problem? I mean somebody looking for changes in the code etc. ...
    Global Posts
    987 Global Posts
    This should be front page news on Precentral.... Im surprized more people have not noticed it yet
    I forwarded this thread to the "News Tip" line for PreCentral.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    987 Global Posts
    I found a free app thats a temporary workaround called "Wapedia" in the app catalog for all those that are bothered by this as much as I am...

I formats to larger font so its easier to read than the pinching an zooming
    Ya know, an @Palm campaign on twitter would probably be a good idea. We could use the hashtag #palmwiki. I've already tried asking them on Twitter. Maybe we all should.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast