1.    #1  
    Being that there are over 800 books in the app catelog would it not make sense to just make a bookstore app and sell both professional and amature books? I feel like cloggig the app catelog with books is rediculous. Eliminate all soundboards, books, and individual team sports apps, and how many apps are there? The books alone are almost 1/5 of the whole catelog!
    Whilst I don't have a problem with things like the sport results apps, the number of books is out of control. I agree completely that they should be separated from the main catalogue.
  3.    #3  
    I don't either (sports apps) but the books are coming out like this is some bookstore. I don't believe any category has as many apps as books and books shouldnt be in the app store, they should be in a bookstore
    I agree, separate out the "books," but then their app numbers will go down.

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Yes, unfortunately HP might not be too keen on this idea for fear of reducing the app numbers. One solution might be to integrate a book store within the existing catalogue. Books could still be counted as apps for statistical purposes, but they wouldn't show up within the 'What's New' section.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I think the best solution would simply be to allow filters in the app catalog.

You don't want books, filter them out. You don't want sports, same thing.

The benefit from this approach would be that anyone could tailor their catalog to their own preferences.

In addition to filtering by category (or sub-category) you should be able to filter by developer as well. You might well decide that you like some of the book developers, but not others.

Going the filter route allows YOU to decide, not HP Palm, what you will or won't see in your app catalog.

Just so no one goes "AHA!!! YOU ARE A SLIMY BOOK APP PUBLISHER!!!!", let me say, that I am a slimy book app publisher.

I have exactly ONE book app in the catalog and it contains stuff I wrote, not stuff I copied from Wikipedia or Project Gutenberg and stuffed in an app factory program. I did it as a hobby, so I don't care if anyone gets it or not. When I started I didn't realize that a few companies were going to spam the living be-Jesus out of the catalog with book apps.

Having said all that, my filter approach would allow you to filter out my app just as well as anyone else's. The difference is that I don't think you or I or HP Palm should decide what anybody can see. I think each person should be able to tailor their catalog to their own tastes.

On a more technical bent, I'll add that the filtering and preferences should be stored on the SERVER side, so that you don't have to download all the data to the device and THEN filter out which bits you don't want to see. If you don't want to see them, you shouldn't have to waste the time and bandwidth to download them.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    OK, I just posted the last reply and thought of one more idea...

The app catalog should also allow you to say "I want to download the top 10 apps in each category". Of course you would have a "Get More" button at the end of any list to get the next 10 or whatever.

The big problem with a crowded catalog is that it takes too long to download the list and then too long to find something that was worth finding, not the fact per se that there were a lot of crappy apps.

Again for full disclosure: I'm a slimy book app developer and everyone wants to set me on fire, etc. etc. (I almost added the little burning guy smiley, but it implies that the writer is mad and I don't want someone to misunderstand that I meant it as a joke that I'M on fire... so just mentally insert your own image of me burning )
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Sorry, one book of original content does not qualify you as a slimy book app developer. But keep trying! Thanks for the post and full disclosure.

I never noticed a problem downloading the list from the app catalog.. it actually seems pretty quick to me, unless it's downloading in the background after the first part of the list comes up and I just never noticed. It was awful slow initially, but it's been much better for a while.
    I don't believe there's any issues with the amount of data that has to be downloaded - certainly not with the current size of the app catalogue. What is more of a pain is having to scroll past countless books when checking out the list of new apps.

I haven't got any problems with filtering being introduced to the app catalogue, though. It could be a neat solution.
    another option is a filter similar to the preware philtre, where you can filter out publisshijg names such as AppBookStore or whatever it's called that puts out 1,000 books/day. We all know most of them are pure spam, in the can with the little key missing.
    iPhone, Android, they all have them too. iPhone 55,000 books in their app store. More than any other catagory, even more than games. Obviously they are good for marketing because they boost app numbers. Take a look at this graph for iphone apps:

Top Mobile Phones Applications: Find Popular & New Mobile Web Apps at Mobclix

They help out Palm's app catalog a lot too. Every app market has their spam apps. iPhone has their AppBookShop, BrightHouse Labs, etc just like us. Just gotta deal with it.
    Platform user's guide to response enthusiasm, part 326:

Books available on iOS: "Apple will replace the book. So fantastic to be able to buy a book on my iPad or iPhone and read it there! Truly a revolution!"

Books available on webOS: "This spam sucks can we please filter it out?"
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

Books available on iOS: "Apple will replace the book. So fantastic to be able to buy a book on my iPad or iPhone and read it there! Truly a revolution!"

Ahaha, that's so true.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

I like books. I love books. But if I want to look for a book to read, I'll go to a - gasp - bookstore. (And it doesn't look like there's any great reading for WebOS anyway.) I like books. But, if I'm looking for an app, then I'd like to see apps. (While we're at it, can we filter out the word "fart"?)

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Mom View Post
    I like books. I love books. But if I want to look for a book to read, I'll go to a - gasp - bookstore. (And it doesn't look like there's any great reading for WebOS anyway.) I like books. But, if I'm looking for an app, then I'd like to see apps. (While we're at it, can we filter out the word "fart"?)
    I have to agree, I just don't get the fart apps, at all.

Someone wants that, they can just go eat some beans.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Every market has their spam apps, but I don't remember noticing them that much when I had my iPod Touch. The App Store does a better job featuring and showcasing apps than our catalog does and it doesn't look that much improved with webOS 2.0 from what I've seen of it, but maybe more 2.0 users can comment on their experiences the app store right now besides that the css is all janked.
    Last edited by malpha; 12/05/2010 at 04:34 PM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    A separate category called "Books" within the same catalog is sufficient. And yes we need a filter option by keyword AND/OR creator.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!