1.    #1  
    I have been using my EVO for the last 4 months, and I so want to switch back to WebOS.

I was having so many issues with the quality of the build of the Pre, that I had no choice but to switch. I was on my 4th Pre, and the screen had cracked on the micro-usb end, and I could see it cracking the screen. So I switched.

But I miss WebOS a lot. The card system and multi-tasking is hands above Android and iOS. And the notification system is amazing. On the Pre I could control my music and pandora app from the notification system, but on android I have to switch the app that I am on to switch the song or play/pause. I think it is one of the most lacking features on Android, that you have to switch apps, and there is no easy control from the notification area.

Also I know the fragmentation isn't that big if an issue, but some apps just don't work on EVO when they are first released or have bug issues, and you have to wait a while for an update. The Pre didn't have that many apps, but they were all for WebOS and no fragmentation issue.

I so want to switch back, but I need a bigger screen and a better built phone. I wish they could make a Dell Venue with WebOS it, I would switch back in a sec. I would give up google nav and all the google apps for a great OS.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    If I were you, I'd get a Plued Sprint Pre. It seems to solve the build-quality issue that most Sprint Pre people have.

But yeah, most people want a bigger screen. Hopefully that'll come at CES, if you're willing to wait for the announcement and the month or two after that for it to launch.

webOSworld.com seems to offer the plussing service if you can get both a working Pre Plus and a Pre, but others will sell the device pre-made.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah I am willing to wait. I just need shazam to be ported to WebOS.

I don't use that many apps on android...most of them are news apps, that I am sure will be ported to WebOS when it gains a little bit more market share.
    I suspect we'll get Shazam when developers are officially given access to the mic api.
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/20/2010 at 08:53 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I switched from the Pre to Android by force when excessive build issues caused Sprint to swap me to the Samsung Moment (a horrible phone due to data issues) I upgraded to the Epic. My wife will keep WebOS but I don't miss it anymore except Facebook notifications. As for the music player you can get a widget to any of your home screens to control the player. The Epic has it in the notifcation bar that I can pause, advance or reverse without opening the full app. It may be the Android version or device that would make a difference. I'm using a leaked version of Froyo 2.2 on the Epic.
    First off, there are plenty of these threads in other sub-forums like Cross-Platform Chat and Other Handhelds and this should be moved there.

Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    I have been using my EVO for the last 4 months, and I so want to switch back to WebOS.

I was having so many issues with the quality of the build of the Pre, that I had no choice but to switch. I was on my 4th Pre, and the screen had cracked on the micro-usb end, and I could see it cracking the screen. So I switched.

But I miss WebOS a lot. The card system and multi-tasking is hands above Android and iOS. And the notification system is amazing. On the Pre I could control my music and pandora app from the notification system, but on android I have to switch the app that I am on to switch the song or play/pause. I think it is one of the most lacking features on Android, that you have to switch apps, and there is no easy control from the notification area.

Also I know the fragmentation isn't that big if an issue, but some apps just don't work on EVO when they are first released or have bug issues, and you have to wait a while for an update. The Pre didn't have that many apps, but they were all for WebOS and no fragmentation issue.

I so want to switch back, but I need a bigger screen and a better built phone. I wish they could make a Dell Venue with WebOS it, I would switch back in a sec. I would give up google nav and all the google apps for a great OS.
    Press and hold the "home" button for a second and you'll see the last 8 apps you have used read for use.
    After about the third time of doing this you'll see that this is actually more effective than the card system when it comes to efficiency. [No scrambling through each card to see which is which]

The Pandora "issue" [I only quote it because, to me anyway, it seems like a nit picky issue. With respect where it's due, I wouldn't put anything of this nature as a top reason why I would want to switch a phone] could be remedied by contacting the developer.
    Most developers will respond accordingly and that is certainly a feature that, if possible for the Android system [and it would boggle my mind if it wasn't], they would implement.
    [I have actually contacted a few developers and had features added or explanations of why they haven't been added in my short time with Android. Most developers want their apps to prosper]

I have to ask what apps won't work with the Evo?
    I have yet to come across any app that doesn't work.
    If you ever have an issue with an app...go to settings > applications > manage applications > find the app, click it, hit clear cache/data and force stop it [if it's not already stopped]... then reopen it and your issues should be resolved.

The "fragmentation issue" is merely due to the fact of having an open source system and...more importantly... having a wide arrange of devices with different specs with an OS that is constantly getting MAJOR updates.
    Instead of WebOS [where most, but not all] updates are usually based around bug fixes.... Android gets major improvements coupled with any necessary bug fixes.
    Example: Android 2.1 to 2.2 added many features [including apps to sd] and it also included major system improvements.
    ALL devices benchmark and linpaq scores practically double on 2.2 comparative to any version prior.
    Because the updates to the OS are so significant, phones that are on the low end of the specification range--truthfully-- cannot handle the new versions. [I have several examples, when rooting and flashing updated Android versions to friends' older phones that can attest to this]

That all being said, as a WebOS fan, you should--honestly-- HOPE for the day that the Original Pre CAN'T upgrade to the newer version.
    Because if not, that simply means that the OS hasn't improved significantly at all.

Think of it like this, you cannot expect a computer from 10 years ago to run Windows 7 [at least, not the level where it's an enjoyable experience].

Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    I don't use that many apps on android...most of them are news apps, that I am sure will be ported to WebOS when it gains a little bit more market share.
    Umm..no? lol
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 12/01/2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added response to another quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    ....No scrambling through each card to see which is which
    Really?? Scrambling through each card to see which is which? Either you didn't spend enough time understanding how WebOS works or you continuously kept 40 cards open at all time. Do you keep that many apps running on your Android at all times too? Android simply doesn't come close to efficiency at multitasking compared to WebOS.

The Pandora "issue" [I only quote it because, to me anyway, it seems like a nit picky issue. With respect where it's due, I wouldn't put anything of this nature as a top reason why I would want to switch a phone] could be remedied by contacting the developer.
    Most developers will respond accordingly and that is certainly a feature that, if possible for the Android system [and it would boggle my mind if it wasn't], they would implement.
    [I have actually contacted a few developers and had features added or explanations of why they haven't been added in my short time with Android. Most developers want their apps to prosper]
    Doesn't change the fact that it's a deficiency of Android...Personally, I'm very curious to know which apps and developers you've contacted and what problems they fixed immediately simply from your request.

I have to ask what apps won't work with the Evo?
    I have yet to come across any app that doesn't work.
    If you ever have an issue with an app...go to settings > applications > manage applications > find the app, click it, hit clear cache/data and force stop it [if it's not already stopped]... then reopen it and your issues should be resolved.
    You think that because you haven't come across apps with issues, it can't be a common issue? How many apps are available for Android? And how many of those have you downloaded?

The "fragmentation issue" is merely due to the fact of having an open source system and...more importantly... having a wide arrange of devices with different specs with an OS that is constantly getting MAJOR updates.
    Instead of WebOS [where most, but not all] updates are usually based around bug fixes.... Android gets major improvements coupled with any necessary bug fixes.
    Example: Android 2.1 to 2.2 added many features [including apps to sd] and it also included major system improvements.
    ALL devices benchmark and linpaq scores practically double on 2.2 comparative to any version prior.
    Because the updates to the OS are so significant, phones that are on the low end of the specification range--truthfully-- cannot handle the new versions. [I have several examples, when rooting and flashing updated Android versions to friends' older phones that can attest to this]
    How old is Android? How old is WebOS? Would you like to compare features of WebOS 2.0 and Android 2.2 since it's brought so many MAJOR updates? WebOS is vastly more open than Android; and the fact is that it will scale across multiple devices better than Android ever will.

That all being said, as a WebOS fan, you should--honestly-- HOPE for the day that the Original Pre CAN'T upgrade to the newer version.
    Because if not, that simply means that the OS hasn't improved significantly at all.
    That horrible reasoning and is so inaccurate I don't even know why I'm bothering to respond to it. The original Pre is hardware, and thanks to its OS, can receive OTA updates. I imagine all WebOS phones will always be able to receive major updates.

Think of it like this, you cannot expect a computer from 10 years ago to run Windows 7 [at least, not the level where it's an enjoyable experience].
    Your metaphor is awful, really awful; sorry. A computer from 10 years ago is hardware. No, hardware from 10 years ago will not run software from today. However, there's no reason that software (WebOS) from a year and a half ago can't receive an update bringing new features.

You know, I'm all for constructive debate, but your post sounds like trolling. Just my opinion..
    sure does right along with almost every other post he's written.

ie "lets all at least agree we hate apple" thread
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I suspect we'll get Shazam when developers are officially given access to the mic api.
    Was this added in 2.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    you should--honestly-- HOPE for the day that the Original Pre CAN'T upgrade to the newer version.
    an ever improving os that can still run on old or minimal hardware is a testament to how well written it is and how efficiently it utilizes its available hardware resources.
    funny how that person who loves android so much can't get off this darn palm forum. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    Really?? Scrambling through each card to see which is which? Either you didn't spend enough time understanding how WebOS works or you continuously kept 40 cards open at all time. Do you keep that many apps running on your Android at all times too? Android simply doesn't come close to efficiency at multitasking compared to WebOS.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a deficiency of Android...Personally, I'm very curious to know which apps and developers you've contacted and what problems they fixed immediately simply from your request.

You think that because you haven't come across apps with issues, it can't be a common issue? How many apps are available for Android? And how many of those have you downloaded?

How old is Android? How old is WebOS? Would you like to compare features of WebOS 2.0 and Android 2.2 since it's brought so many MAJOR updates? WebOS is vastly more open than Android; and the fact is that it will scale across multiple devices better than Android ever will.

That horrible reasoning and is so inaccurate I don't even know why I'm bothering to respond to it. The original Pre is hardware, and thanks to its OS, can receive OTA updates. I imagine all WebOS phones will always be able to receive major updates.

Your metaphor is awful, really awful; sorry. A computer from 10 years ago is hardware. No, hardware from 10 years ago will not run software from today. However, there's no reason that software (WebOS) from a year and a half ago can't receive an update bringing new features.

You know, I'm all for constructive debate, but your post sounds like trolling. Just my opinion..
    THANK YOU @Windycitypre!

If you go back and read @Mattykinsx many posts, they seem to always defend any and everything Android and always paint webOS, HP Palm as inferior.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I went back to a Pre after having the Evo for about a month and a half. Getting back my Pre was like an epiphany. It's just so much more pleasant to use. Sure I miss the big screen but not as much as I thought I would.

Not to mention I don't have to pay that annoying $10/month Evo tax.

I don't even mind the oreo. It's just good to be back
    I'm amazed at how bad the Android OS is, unintuitive, clunky. I've been on the Evo a week and I'm disappointed. I thought the that millions of Android users and billions of dollars flowing into Google's pockets would mean that the Android OS would be tuned in and tack sharp. Wrong. Feels a lot like Windows Mobile, but in certain ways even less user friendly. Always having to go the the "menu" button, shouldn't obvious options within apps just be on the screen for one press effect versus, press menu, then find the correct choice, press choice...lame.

I too am going back to my Pre. The smaller screen is a deficit however it is so much better laid out than the Evo, less wasted space, better display of app and web content that it helps offset the lack of size.

The Evo is like like a silicone injected, spray tan bimbo. It's got some "wow" features but isn't a complete package.

The Pre* is kind of like Michelle Pfeiffer**, she's got a few miles on her and the newness has faded, no single attribute is "boom in your face wow", but it has elegance and class and as a package it all works well together in a mature, sophisticated fashion...so much so that you don't realize how much it had your back until it's gone.

*-(with overclocking and Uber Calendar)
    **-(Michelle of 10 years ago)

I'm glad Sprint has the 30 day trial, time to pack up the Evo and return to WebOS, the best mobile OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    funny how that person who loves android so much can't get off this darn palm forum. Lol
    indeed. There are more than a few that seem to miss webOS more than they care to admit. Not sure what hey expect to accomplish by hanging out here after switching.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    an ever improving os that can still run on old or minimal hardware is a testament to how well written it is and how efficiently it utilizes its available hardware resources.
    Not only that, but the very nature of the way WebOS runs compared to the mentioned version of Windows negates the comparison.

A close comparison (though still not exactly the same) is whether new versions of KDE or GNOME will run on older machines (they typically will, depending on HOW old).
    Wrong forum.

But i have a pre i could sell you if you would like.

Not going back anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    indeed. There are more than a few that seem to miss webOS more than they care to admit. Not sure what hey expect to accomplish by hanging out here after switching.
    Some (not saying the guy above) but some like me like keeping up with news in technology in general.

I'm a member of MacRumors.com as well yet don't own a single thing apple currently.

Is that not allowed?

Why does the Pre community get so defensive? A lot of us switchers had the Pre, sung praises fro the Pre but decided to move on...does that mean we have to then stop coming to the community we enjoyed?

Serious question.