Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In the past, when I was having problems with my comcast.net (pop3) account, I ended up having a very full trash folder(500+ emails) and once I deleted them, all was well. I just checked my msn trash now since that account is throwing an error several times a day. There were only 70 emails there so I don't think that is the issue. I deleted them anyway, so we'll see what happens.

Puzzlegal: I have to disagree with you about the phone and pc "talking" to the server at the same time. I don't use any email software on my pc. If I need to check my mail on a real computer I use their web based client. 95% of the time, I just check my mail on my Pre.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Please someone make a patch so I never have to see that appear ever again.
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    I'm still only about 90% sure this is the issue, but I posted a request over here http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...67#post2778912

Hopefully I'm right & hopefully we will get a fix.

Also, to update since my last post: After I emptied my trash, I'm still having problems signing in. Guess that wasn't the issue either.

You all with the problem should install lumberjack and analyze the logfiles. Maybe there is more info about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    In the past, when I was having problems with my comcast.net (pop3) account, I ended up having a very full trash folder(500+ emails) and once I deleted them, all was well. I just checked my msn trash now since that account is throwing an error several times a day. There were only 70 emails there so I don't think that is the issue. I deleted them anyway, so we'll see what happens.

Puzzlegal: I have to disagree with you about the phone and pc "talking" to the server at the same time. I don't use any email software on my pc. If I need to check my mail on a real computer I use their web based client. 95% of the time, I just check my mail on my Pre.
    Interesting. I never had any way to test that hypothesis. There might also be more than one thing that causes the same general sort of communication problem.

I found it mildly annoying, and am happy it went away with my new email service, for whatever reason.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    You all with the problem should install lumberjack and analyze the logfiles. Maybe there is more info about it.
    I have lumberjack... what would you like me to look for.

NOTE: The problem has gone away without action on my part.
  7.    #27  
    RE: Trash - no trash to speak of.
    RE: GMX Logins - nothing changed on my end; it worked for 2 months, then failed and now works again. Changing from "as items arrive" to every 6 hours only reduced the number of notifications I got but didn't cause it to work better.
    RE: IMAP vs. POP3 - GMX is IMAP, as is Gmail - both work. POP3 with my local provider also worked during this problem. My wife uses POP3 with local provider ISP and she has this problem and has had it for a long time. It seems to work even with the errors.
    RE: Network performance. I think that a timeout issue could be involved. I also think that because GMX recommends a password change every couple of months some message not understood by webOS email client could be related. I changed my password and updated my account on my phone without this resolving - but within a day or so this resolved after that change.

Overall I think we are chasing shadows. I have lumberjack and I would be happy to look back to last weeks logs if anyone has a specific search they want done.
    Global Posts
    985 Global Posts
    I got this issue with my at&t yahoo account upon sending an email. Recieving seems fine, very wierd
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Unclevanya -- it does feel like chasing shadows, doesn't it? I have lumberjack installed now and will see what this says next time I get the error.

ProlongExistance -- looks like emptying the trash has been good for me so far. I guess whether I use lumberjack soon or not will depend on that, eh? Perhaps, as you suggest, the trashcan is merely a contributing factor to the big problem: some form of timeout.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    I installed Lumber Jack. Email is still giving errors but Lumber Jack doesn't seem to be showing any email related errors.

11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    I installed Lumber Jack. Email is still giving errors but Lumber Jack doesn't seem to be showing any email related errors.
    My problems have vanished and remain gone. The departure was as mysterious as it was originally when it came on...
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    My problems have vanished and remain gone. The departure was as mysterious as it was originally when it came on...

I spoke too soon. Now get this... GMX is fine (IMAP) but now I have the same problem as my wife my Carolina.rr.com local POP account is no longer working without the error. It's become so frequent that essentially any email I send gets the problem on that account.

However I did notice that the error is a little more specific:

"Unable to Sign In Message from server: "500 5.5.2 unrecognized command"
    Not sure if there is a space between the 500 and the 5.5.2 since it wraps there.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 02/26/2011 at 03:46 PM.
  13.    #33  
    OK - so I deleted the account and added it back to the phone allowing Palm to pick the servers etc.. Email synch worked and I even deleted emails on the server via computer browser and verified all was well.

First attempt to send email:

"Unable to Sign In Message from server: "Acess denied: 530 Authentication is required before sending [R0107005]. May need to enable SMTP authentication."

Manually enabled "Use authentication" option and the email immediately went through.

I noticed that despite having very very little email on this account (server or phone) it took quite a while to delete and that set me to thinking that maybe there is some corruption occuring somewhere on the Palm side of the phone. In any case I know how to fix it - we'll see for how long.
  14.    #34  
    OK - so I deleted the account and added it back to the phone allowing Palm to pick the servers etc.. Email synch worked and I even deleted emails on the server via computer browser and verified all was well.

First attempt to send email:

"Unable to Sign In Message from server: "Acess denied: 530 Authentication is required before sending [R0107005]. May need to enable SMTP authentication."

Manually enabled "Use authentication" option and the email immediately went through.

I noticed that despite having very very little email on this account (server or phone) it took quite a while to delete and that set me to thinking that maybe there is some corruption occuring somewhere on the Palm side of the phone. In any case I know how to fix it - we'll see for how long.
  15.    #35  
    My wife's Pre was also experiencing the "unable to send" message with Time Warner so I deleted her email account on her Pre - it took over 20 mins. When I finally got it installed again - the problem was gone.
  16.    #36  
    AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH

My PrePlus still is giving "Unable to Send errors" with Time Warner. Delete and reinstall is not the fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    I slso have this issue - never with eMail, but with my Company's hosted exchange (connected as IMAP vs. Activesync).

The problem seems to go through three phases - each with the following workarounds (sorry, no solution):

-First phase: 'Unable to Sign In': I work around this by hitting refresh

-Second phase: 'Unable to Sign In' & won't refresh away: I reduce the # of mails in my inbox (ie: delete or move to subfolders) & refresh to work around this

-Third phase: 'Unable to Sign In' - nothing fixes it. I delete & re-add my eMail account. That usually gives me multiple weeks until phase 1 starts again.

It appears that WebOS mail gets tied up so that it times out the server - I think it's a WebOS IMAP interface issue vs. Mail host issue.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Thread necromancy. Does anyone know if more up to date info is available on this?

I'm now getting "Unable to Sign In" for both my Gmail and IMAP AOL (old junk email) accounts. The accounts are setup fine on other devices, so password issues are sorted and I don't think it's a server side issue.

I tend to see what this poster sees. Although deleting and readding my AOL IMAP has been unsuccessful. Is there an on-device database that's getting corrupted or what?
    I looked into AOL recently and it seems dead for webOS due to SSL changes. For gmail as long as you have the patch installed it should work.
    Yeah, saw the recent resurgence of sync issue threads.

Update: after giving up on Google a few days ago, I noticed it is now syncing again as usual. I ultimately made no changes or patches other than getting and setting a new App Password.

On AOL, I had deleted the account around the same time since it was failing. Previously it was syncing fine via IMAP as long as I used unsecure connections. (Bleh.)

Noticing the Gmail is working again, I just added AOL email as above. This time it signed in without issue and has just finished syncing. (wtf?)

I really don't get it. This happens like once a year, flaking out for a few days.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12