1.    #1  
    Been using a pixie for a few months now and I must say the Webos is the best os out there(No Competition). But as good as it is I end up going back to Nokia due to the wicked hardware(N8) .The only thing the N8 is missing is the Webos which would make it the ultimate device on the market. I wish that it was nokia that had acquire Palm because Hp with never developed a phone with such wicked hardware as nokia does and will put the webos to dead! Does anyone knows how to port the webos to my N8 I would take the risk!
    I'm glad that Nokia didn't buy Palm because Nokia phones are all ugly and look like 1970's rejects IMO. Hopefully HP will make WebOS devices similar to the Dell Venue Pro and Palm Mock-Up contest...

Quote Originally Posted by jmac_bvi View Post
    Been using a pixie for a few months now and I must say the Webos is the best os out there(No Competition). But as good as it is I end up going back to Nokia due to the wicked hardware(N8) .The only thing the N8 is missing is the Webos which would make it the ultimate device on the market. I wish that it was nokia that had acquire Palm because Hp with never developed a phone with such wicked hardware as nokia does and will put the webos to dead! Does anyone knows how to port the webos to my N8 I would take the risk!
    Symbian OS is Nokia's mobile operating system for use on mobile devices and smartphones.

Nokia had a chance to buy webOS but chose to stay with Symbian OS on most of their smartphones.

They have a long history with Symbian and would probably not allow webOS to develop as webOS but incorporate much of it's archatecture into Symbian.

I for one am glad that Nokia did not buy Palm thus webOS because both names would have dissappeared by now.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Nokia's got Meego. Why buy webOS when you can copy it?

Edit: But yeah, I think it would've been cool if Nokia purchased Palm. I like the N8 too, just not as much as I like my Pre+.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    That makes no sense, since the Pres were released, before the buyout ever took place. If Palm had gone completely under, there may not have been further phone support from them, but the phones wouldn't magically disappear!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    That makes no sense, since the Pres were released, before the buyout ever took place. If Palm had gone completely under, there may not have been further phone support from them, but the phones wouldn't magically disappear!
    kind of harsh I noticed people on here are sometimes like that with rush. All he was doing was making a comment, and I think it made good sense, maybe this forum would be here but just barely.
    yeah the largest technology company in the world has no chance of ever building good hardware for WebOS.

They just won Maximum PC's Best Computer of the year award, and are a critically acclaimed hardware company, but they have no chance of building good hardware for WebOS.
    The N8 uses a crappy old ARM11 cpu. WebOS would be slooooow on that.
  9.    #9  
    I am just trying to get the word out to HP so they can realize that people need more than just a great os. I am the type of person that believe with today's tech. no one needs to be walking around feeling like a Bestbuy store when you can have a all in one device. eg. music player with that supports most audio files, great camera 8mp the least, camcorder, phone with good reception and very business oriented, builtin gps receiver and not those stupid assisted gps, and w/ great connectivity features such as hd port, bluetooth 3.0 etc. That is why I got a N8, but believe me I so miss the webos cause it makes things so easy, simple and quick to do. Fullfill my thirst HP and don't let such great os go to waste!
    oops, double-post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    yeah the largest technology company in the world has no chance of ever building good hardware for WebOS.

They just won Maximum PC's Best Computer of the year award, and are a critically acclaimed hardware company, but they have no chance of building good hardware for WebOS.
    It's no question that good, even great, hardware is coming. The question now is: will that (or anything else) save them?

At this point - and call me paranoid if you will - it seems like people only take half-looks at Palm. Even people who have been around since the Sprint release will tell you that "the Pre would have been a greater success if it had had the original Droid's hardware innards". I've actually read that somewhere. Well, it HAD those specs, just a few months before the Droid.

HP's problems are:
    1) nobody knows Palm anymore, people think they're a PDA maker from the 90s. Thus, they simply cannot have good hardware in this day and age. Simply impossible.

2) people don't have any sympathy for Palm and won't be getting any since the Tech Press has already divided into Team Apple and Team Google, both teams advertising their side and kicking anything else to the curb. Most people take Press (blog) recommendations and work with them.

3) Resulting from 1 and 2, the mentality is: Why buy a Palm phone and hope for a feature to come to Palm in the future if Google already has the feature? And why buy a Palm phone because of any given feature / spec if Google may get a similar feature / spec sooner or later?

If NOKIA had bought Palm, that would have been the greatest catastrophe of all in my book - Nokia is another company people like not to look at. The N8 is a great phone, but the tech press laughs at it, essentially for having the Symbian font. If Palm was in there now, Engadget would probably refuse to even review anything from them with more than 4/10. Nokia only makes dumbphones; let's not let their smartphones destroy that prejudice. A Nokia Palm would be a dumbphone with 1995-era hardware in peoples' eyes.

HP has at least a chance of capturing some serious smartphone mindshare. I doubt that webOS will ever overtake Android (the future Windows of mobile - who knew that giving your OS away for free to the OEMs and letting them pump development dollars into massive, penetrating, non-stop advertising would help sales) or Apple (STEVE FOR PRESIDENT, WOO! THERE'S A NEW PIPPIN OUT IN TWO WEEKS I'LL CAMP OUTSIDE THE DOOR! IF IT AINT APPLE IT'S DOA!) but I do think it has a good chance of living comfortably, with marketshare comparable to that of WinPho and Blackberry. And in my opinion, this chance is mainly provided by HP and it's marketing money - not the qualities of webOS itself. So the sale to HP was a good decision in my book.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 11/28/2010 at 05:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Nokia had a chance to buy webOS but chose to stay with Symbian OS on most of their smartphones.
    Your right Nokia did have a chance, BUT nokia didn't show any interest by interest i mean putting in a bid for palm.
    If Nokia bought Palm it would be after the patents, just like HTC.

Nokia has TWO smartphone systems, why would they acquire a third to further muddy things up?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Nokia has TWO smartphone systems, why would they acquire a third to further muddy things up?
    Because Symbian is now, what, 12 years old while Maemo / MeeGo on the other hand has been teased and shown and demoed for the past two years, with no word on when it'll actually show up on a consumer device (hacked N900s notwithstanding) - in other words, it doesn't really exist outside a lab and a bunch of N900s owned by hardcore fans.

But since the Maemo user interface is now a straight-up copy of webOS, like someone already mentioned, there wouldn't have been much of a gain for them in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

I don't think the have no chance, they obviously have the capability. Its just a matter of whether they want to or not, something I'm really starting to doubt.
  16.    #16  
    I see it as Nokia is the Rolls Royce without the engine(hardware) and HP has the engine of the Rolls Royce(webos). Symbian is dated which nokia knows, meego is not going to be that great as the hype, android is good but can't compete, apple is worst than symbian but are the best at marketing!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac_bvi View Post
    I see it as Nokia is the Rolls Royce without the engine(hardware) and HP has the engine of the Rolls Royce(webos). Symbian is dated which nokia knows, meego is not going to be that great as the hype, android is good but can't compete, apple is worst than symbian but are the best at marketing!
    Not really a great analogy since Rolls Royce does make engines... But I am glad that Nokia didn't get Palm because HP is a much better suitor. They're obviously working hard at getting webOS into the hands of as many consumers as possible, but they're doing it behind the scenes (making lots of hardware, such as a slate, multiple phones, and probably a watch based on the Phil McKinney picture).
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 11/28/2010 at 07:22 PM.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup