Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    All she was doing was changing her number and the guy on the line from verizon goes out of his way to try and have her use an upgrade to get an android device, and his reasoning for doing this? WebOS is way to hard to understand and android is much easier to operate. What a freaking joke! This don't bode to well for the Pre2 I think.
    to someone that has never done the tutorial and therefor unfamiliar with the gestures, it is non-intuitive how to do some things. Now one you understand and know the gestures it is a different story.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    to someone that has never done the tutorial and therefor unfamiliar with the gestures, it is non-intuitive how to do some things. Now one you understand and know the gestures it is a different story.
    My wife is completely untech savvy. She almost didn't get the pixi cause she was turned off from smartphones with her omnia even after I flashed it to an htc touch pro type UI. Then she got it and she told the guy on the phone what she calls WebOS. She told him it's the smartphone for dumb people cause it's so easy she can operate it and actually get the 30 dollas a month in data usage out of it. I was proud of her.
    I agree that there was a slight learning curve with the gestures. Nothing a quick tutorial can't fix.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Come play with my Twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    My wife is completely untech savvy. She almost didn't get the pixi cause she was turned off from smartphones with her omnia even after I flashed it to an htc touch pro type UI. Then she got it and she told the guy on the phone what she calls WebOS. She told him it's the smartphone for dumb people cause it's so easy she can operate it and actually get the 30 dollas a month in data usage out of it. I was proud of her.
    I don't disagree, but the first time I picked up a pre, I had seen no other info on it and could not figure out how to close the damn cards....
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I don't disagree, but the first time I picked up a pre, I had seen no other info on it and could not figure out how to close the damn cards....
    ha I guessit made a difference cause I watched every video possible on the pre since ces 2009 and had a pre- for about 4 months before she got her pixi+. Still I love it cause it very simple but at the same time homebrew and everything else gives the techies busy with complicated workings.
    That's why you read the oh-so-large instruction manual... Once you learn to swipe on the gesture area and close cards, you're pretty much set. No save buttons, no special menus. On second thought, WebOS does have an intro that explains that on first boot...

Now on Android, you have to use the back key, the menu key, and the home key. The home key can also be long-pressed. Once in the menu, you can usually get to more menu items and see hidden options. Sometimes you have to press and hold to get a special menu. There are sometimes non intuitive "special" buttons placed on random places that don't seem to be that important, but they are.

WebOS has a much more consistent, prettier and intuitive UI. The sales rep just wants some commision money.
    I have used Android 2.0 and I didn't understand how to close apps or 'tasks'. It turns out I wasn't closing them...they were just piling up in the background. So the Verizon rep says 'you need this other app, Task Killer.'

that is definitely not intuitive.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I think that killing apps is somewhat confusing in each smartphone OS. If you didn't already know about throwing cards away, you'd be pretty loss. With android you need a second app (smh). And iOS is the worst. I just got the new ipod touch, and double tap- tap + hold- tap again is FAR from intuitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I have used Android 2.0 and I didn't understand how to close apps or 'tasks'. It turns out I wasn't closing them...they were just piling up in the background. So the Verizon rep says 'you need this other app, Task Killer.'

that is definitely not intuitive.
    You do not need a task killer for Android. Actually, a task killer will degrade the performance of your phone. Android automatically manages tasks in the background. If Android needs more memory, it will close a task.

When I first got my first Android phone (Sprint Hero), I loaded a task killer and I was having all kinds of problem. When I removed the task killer and reset my phone everything works find and I have great performance . When I got my Droid Incredible, I didn't bother to load a task killer and my performance has been great.
    wife and daughter have the 'incredible'. their phones run freaky fast. they do not have 'adv. task killer' installed.

looking forward to when hp replaces webos mojo with enyo to make our phones fast also.
    that's good to know about android. Funny, the verizon rep was just as unsavvy using te android OS as they tend to be with webOS...even though they push Android so heavily.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    You do not need a task killer for Android. Actually, a task killer will degrade the performance of your phone. Android automatically manages tasks in the background. If Android needs more memory, it will close a task.

When I first got my first Android phone (Sprint Hero), I loaded a task killer and I was having all kinds of problem. When I removed the task killer and reset my phone everything works find and I have great performance . When I got my Droid Incredible, I didn't bother to load a task killer and my performance has been great.
    That's funny people always talk about this but when I had an android phone it would get unusable slow before it would kill apps and what if I wanted an app to not get killed but I wanted another app to shutdown instead. I'd much rather do my own management thank you.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,502 Global Posts
    I'd much rather do my own management thank you.
    Then you are setting yourself up for problems including poorer battery life as the OS spendings it's time fighting with your task killer and the fact that processes are shared between applications, so if you kill a running app, you can also kill something else.

If you want to do your own task manager, you'd be better off getting a phone that is designed for that sort of user intervention than spending your time fighting against the basic design of the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Then you are setting yourself up for problems including poorer battery life as the OS spendings it's time fighting with your task killer and the fact that processes are shared between applications, so if you kill a running app, you can also kill something else.

If you want to do your own task manager, you'd be better off getting a phone that is designed for that sort of user intervention than spending your time fighting against the basic design of the OS.
    That seems to be the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    it's the smartphone for dumb people cause it's so easy she can operate it
    LOL. Classic.
    this seems a lot more simple to me...commission.

guy wanted to upgrade her phone and make some money. I give people plenty of reasons to upgrade their phone. you dog their phone a little bit and make something else sound like it's much easier and much better.