Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    And to confirm, you used ClassicROMContainer.zip from post 146 as your baseline working directory for copying all of the files into?
    Yes. But I will try the new one tomorrow.

BTW, I rebooted myself after installing the ipk and still I got Luna restarts when starting Classic or other apps.
    Thanks Arthur - your method worked like a charm for my Pre2 which got its OTA update to webOS 2.1.0 this morning. I simply installed the ipk package created using post 146 instructions on my Pre2 which previously had been Classic-enabled running 2.0.1 by your original instructions without deleting anything. The first time I ran Classic I got the "Please update to the latest version of Palm webOS" screen, but after closing that screen and then closing and opening Classic, it worked fine for me.

A few questions:
    - Are there any unnecessary files that I can now delete from my Pre2, left over from the original OP method using Novaterm?
    - Can I assume this method is unlikely to survive future OTA updates to webOS 2.2?
    - Can I also assume that if I keep my net.arthurthornton.classic-container_1.0_armv7.ipk file on my computer I should be able to reinstall the files needed to run Classic after future OTA updates?
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    Thanks Arthur - your method worked like a charm for my Pre2 which got its OTA update to webOS 2.1.0 this morning. I simply installed the ipk package created using post 146 instructions on my Pre2 which previously had been Classic-enabled running 2.0.1 by your original instructions without deleting anything. The first time I ran Classic I got the "Please update to the latest version of Palm webOS" screen, but after closing that screen and then closing and opening Classic, it worked fine for me.
    Could you please give a list of the content of the data.tar.gz inside the ipk, like I did a few posts above? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I like the way Arthur is making it automated but I want to post my complete process too, just so people have other options if the other way doesn't work.

Some of these steps may be overkill or duplication, but it ended up working in the end so I am including them.

1) I installed Classic from the app catalog. The app, when opened popped up an update notification and would not run.

2)I extracted

/usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin from the 1.4.5 doctor
    3)I extracted the following files from the 2.0.1 Verizon doctor

/usr/bin/PalmClassic
    /usr/lib/BrowserPlugins/MAPartsAdapter.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Blazer.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Cap.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Emul68kStub.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_HostControl.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_HsExtensionsShim.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_HsNavShim.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PalmosLinuxDal.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PartsLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PartsSerialDriver.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Phone.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PhoneInterfaceLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmBtPartsUi.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmConnectionManagerLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmConnectionManagerPalmOsLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmFakeSlotDriver.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmLinuxFs.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmLinuxUtils.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmMaWelcome.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmNetPrefLx.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmNetSim.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmPCBtLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmPartsNotifyLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmPdnsLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmRomTokenLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmSystem.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_System.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_TelephonyInterfaceLayer.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Ui.so
    /usr/lib/palmos/.copyclassicapps.sh
    /usr/lib/palmos/.preferences-default
    /usr/lib/palmos/.prepare.sh
    /usr/lib/palmos/.uprepare.sh
    /usr/lib/palmos/Read Me.txt
    /usr/lib/palmos/classic.rgba
    /usr/lib/palmos/expired.rgba
    /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.motionapps.palmos.service
    /usr/share/ls2/roles/prv/com.motionapps.palmos.json
    I created a matching directory structure in a folder I named "usr" on my desktop and extracted each file into the correct place.

4) I copied the folder "usr" as well as the ROM.bin to my media drive on my Pre.

5)Using Cgywin I made the disk writable

mount -o remount,rw /
    6)I copied the "usr" in the media folder to the "usr" directory on root

cp -a /media/internal/usr/* /usr
    7)I copied the ROM.bin in the media folder to /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/

cp /media/internal/ROM.bin /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/
    8)At this point Classic would open and display the MotionApps logo for a few seconds and then just display a white screen.

9)I deleted the app (using the function tap method in the launcher) and the reinstalled it from the catalog.

At that point, when I launched it it displayed the Motion Apps logo as well as the Access logo and then it displayed the apps. Somehow all of my data was saved and all the applications I had installed in Classic under 1.4.5 were still there, despite having doctored up to 2.1 multiple times.

I'd highly recommend using Arthur's method as mine probably won't survive an OTA update. I'm on a Sprint Pre- so that's not something I have to worry about though.
  5.    #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post

A few questions:
    - Are there any unnecessary files that I can now delete from my Pre2, left over from the original OP method using Novaterm?
    - Can I assume this method is unlikely to survive future OTA updates to webOS 2.2?
    - Can I also assume that if I keep my net.arthurthornton.classic-container_1.0_armv7.ipk file on my computer I should be able to reinstall the files needed to run Classic after future OTA updates?
    You can delete linkClassic.sh and ROM.bin from your phone when in USB mode (i.e. the two files that the original 2.0.1 instructions used).

You should NOT make any assumptions about OTA updates. I will check at that time if it still runs. If it does not, you may be stuck on the 2.1.x branch. This works for now, but may stop working in the future if HP does a drastic change to Luna (thus changing the way C/C++ services function). However, this is OTA-update safe, unlike copying files directly over (that could bork your phone mid-update if it runs out of room and can't recover, requiring a webOS Doctor visit).

You should definitely keep the IPK on your computer, as it will provide the ability to install when you update webOS to 2.2 whenever that comes (but again, you don't want to install webOS 2.2 right away, let some tests be done beforehand so we can see if Classic will even run on webOS 2.2).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Arthur thank you. Your steps worked perfectly on a original Pre WR with 2.1 - never had classic running at all. Works great.
    I am getting a red screen (minus the bottom part or the keys which is blank)...

any help pls?
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    I am getting a red screen (minus the bottom part or the keys which is blank)...

any help pls?
    Uninstall through WOSQI, restart the process.

You have a file missing, or some files were pulled from the wrong Doctor.

Also, make sure you're using the very latest ZIP file. If you the directory files/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins, then you aren't using the latest ZIP file and this is the cause.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    today I met a guy with a sprint treo. He was really interested in either the next webos phone, or a frankenPre for sprint. His hang up is he wants to be able to run classic.

question: since it isn't something he can buy, how would he be able to use the methods here to make classic work on 2.x for sprint. Is this solution only available to people that already bought classic, or did they put classic into an open source license?

and on that note, why did they give it to Palm? They should have given it to WebOS Internals! Just sayin
  10.    #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    today I met a guy with a sprint treo. He was really interested in either the next webos phone, or a frankenPre for sprint. His hang up is he wants to be able to run classic.

question: since it isn't something he can buy, how would he be able to use the methods here to make classic work on 2.x for sprint. Is this solution only available to people that already bought classic, or did they put classic into an open source license?

and on that note, why did they give it to Palm? They should have given it to WebOS Internals! Just sayin
    He might be able to purchase Classic -- I doubt it though :/

Classic is still closed source, proprietary code.

And the reason they couldn't have given it to anyone but Palm: there are many patents regarding Classic. MotionApps gave the patents necessary for Classic to Palm, but in order to distribute the PalmOS files (i.e. ROM.bin), you need other patents, which Palm (well, HP) has licensed to them, but webOS Internals does not (especially considering Palm paid like $60 million for them in 2006, imagine the cost for licenses NOW)
    Arthur Thornton

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    So i've gotten it to the place where it will start, and the motionapps logo fades in, then out, and i'm left with white. i've checked everything and it seems like i've got all the right files, and i'm sure I got them from the right doctors, although initially I was missing the hidden files in /usr/lib/palmos.

at this point the /usr/bin/PalmClassic binary never seems to run.

what am I missing?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benklop View Post
    So i've gotten it to the place where it will start, and the motionapps logo fades in, then out, and i'm left with white. i've checked everything and it seems like i've got all the right files, and i'm sure I got them from the right doctors, although initially I was missing the hidden files in /usr/lib/palmos.

at this point the /usr/bin/PalmClassic binary never seems to run.

what am I missing?
    don't know if i'm taking this too far, but the messages log shows

Code:
    2011-03-10T09:14:52.316772Z [1005] palm-webos user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.private}: ERROR: "com.motionapps.palmos" permissions does not allow inbound connections from "(null)" (requester pid: 1777, requester exe: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr" requester cmdline: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr -s")
    repeated over and over when I try to use classic

Also, when I try to run /usr/bin/PalmClassic all by itself (which I gather from running other services in there should work), gives me this:

Code:
    (process:3383): LunaService-CRITICAL **: Error in /home/reviewdaemon/projects/nova/oe/BUILD-castle/work/luna-service2-2.0.0-125/125/src/transport.c:2359

(process:3383): LunaService-CRITICAL **: Invalid permissions for com.motionapps.palmos
    !LSRegister
    Last edited by benklop; 03/10/2011 at 03:34 AM. Reason: fix code block
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I finally succeeded with my GSM Pre 2.

The files had been corrupted during extraction of the doctor by Ark of KDE4. I redid everything on the command line and now my ipk works.
  14.    #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by benklop View Post
    don't know if i'm taking this too far, but the messages log shows

Code:
    2011-03-10T09:14:52.316772Z [1005] palm-webos user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.private}: ERROR: "com.motionapps.palmos" permissions does not allow inbound connections from "(null)" (requester pid: 1777, requester exe: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr" requester cmdline: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr -s")
    repeated over and over when I try to use classic

Also, when I try to run /usr/bin/PalmClassic all by itself (which I gather from running other services in there should work), gives me this:

Code:
    (process:3383): LunaService-CRITICAL **: Error in /home/reviewdaemon/projects/nova/oe/BUILD-castle/work/luna-service2-2.0.0-125/125/src/transport.c:2359

(process:3383): LunaService-CRITICAL **: Invalid permissions for com.motionapps.palmos
    !LSRegister
    Make sure you have the proper ls2 file from /usr/share/ls2/roles/prv
    Arthur Thornton

Finally I get it running but it resets occasionally. Then I get a Luna reset (not a complete reset).

What are your experiences?

I'm using uberkernel but in slow mode ("Palm Defaults" 500 MHz).

Regards,
    Torsten
    finally saw the access powered screen and the expired screen... Now just waiting for motionapps to transfer my license
  17.    #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    finally saw the access powered screen and the expired screen... Now just waiting for motionapps to transfer my license
    They are aware of the progress here, so they may be willing to resume sale of licenses to those who have used this process.
    Arthur Thornton

for some reason my Classic apps were already there when it loaded! No restore needed..

yeah arthurthornton, they or palm should take not of this... I am sure its still going to sell a few copies..
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I completely started over, and got it to work! Only problem I had was PalmClassic was only in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/ and not /usr/bin/ too so I copied it, reboot, and it worked!
  20.    #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    I completely started over, and got it to work! Only problem I had was PalmClassic was only in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/ and not /usr/bin/ too so I copied it, reboot, and it worked!
    That was fixed in the latest ClassicROMContainer.zip file, which has been in use for several days.

The problem is that LunaSysMgr checks the real path of the binary when launching the service. It had to actually be copied to the device for the easiest install method. The latest packaging ZIP does this automatically on install.
    Arthur Thornton

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 19 ... LastLast