Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by mr dave is a nerd View Post
    Alright Arthur, less than sucessful test, but I think I tracked down two out of three problems:
    1) all the contents of the usr/lib/palmos folder, including the rom, did not copy onto the device. The reason was that the folder did not exist in 2.1. I created it with internalz, re-added the package, and all was well
    2) /usr/lib/BrowserPlugins/MAPartsAdapter.so copied to the BrowserServerPlugins folder instead. I checked, and the reason was your file folder attached to your post had only that folder, not the BrowserPlugins folder. I moved the file with internalz, and all was well
    3) I am not having the same problem nethan had, though I never had it before with manual instalation. I am getting classic up and running, but there are no apps or anything: just a white screen. It will not import any prcs I put in the "install" folder. This one, however, I have not been able to track down.

I hope this helps, thanks for all your hard work!!
    #1 was due to an issue with the original postinstall scripts. I'm working on this right now

Does anyone know what causes the issue with Classic where it shows the "Update Available" dialog?
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mr dave is a nerd View Post
    3) I am not having the same problem nethan had, though I never had it before with manual instalation. I am getting classic up and running, but there are no apps or anything: just a white screen. It will not import any prcs I put in the "install" folder. This one, however, I have not been able to track down.
    Did you try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Classic app from the catalog? That's how I solved the blank white screen problem I had.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    #1 was due to an issue with the original postinstall scripts. I'm working on this right now

Does anyone know what causes the issue with Classic where it shows the "Update Available" dialog?
    If you make the disk writable, you should be able to copy sub folders using a "cp -a /bah /blah" even if they exist on the disk already. At least I think so. I'm pretty weak with *nix.

I had the update available message until I copied the ROM over to the actual folder. Just creating a link didn't remove the message.
  3.    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by nethan View Post
    If you make the disk writable, you should be able to copy sub folders using a "cp -a /bah /blah" even if they exist on the disk already. At least I think so. I'm pretty weak with *nix.

I had the update available message until I copied the ROM over to the actual folder. Just creating a link didn't remove the message.
    I'm not copying the files over because there isn't enough room to safely copy all of the files over.

I've had it work fine for me (when testing) with just a link, so I'm not sure why that's causing issues now...
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
  4.    #144  
    Okay. I found out what my problem was. I accidentally copied over a file from the 1.4.5 Doctor that should have come from 2.0.1 (yes, a mistake I, of all people, should not have made, being the person working on making this work).

I can now reproduce what everyone else is seeing: just a black screen in the background with the D Pad visible at the footer. I'm working on this issue now, but I can't guarantee any results.
    Arthur Thornton

5.    #145  
    SUCCESS!!! I'll be uploading a new ZIP file shortly. In short: ONE file needs to be copied to the filesystem. ONLY ONE, the rest can be linked. This is the best way to do this right now, and the safest IMO.
    Arthur Thornton

6.    #146  
    STEPS:

1) Download the attached ZIP; Extract it; Open the "files" folder; (STAY in this folder in ONE WINDOW, open new file browsing window)
    2) Download the Pre/Pre+ 1.4.5 webOS Doctor
    3) Download the Pre2 2.0.1 webOS Doctor
    4) Extract the doctors as follows:
    1.4.5: Unzip the Doctor file (.jar); Open "resources" folder; Untar webOS.tar; Open "webOS" folder; Untar "nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz"; Open "nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs" folder (STAY in this folder, open new file browsing window)
    2.0.1: Unzip the Doctor file (.jar); Open "resources" folder; Untar webOS.tar; Open "webOS" folder; Untar "nova-cust-image-roadrunner.rootfs.tar.gz"; Open "nova-cust-image-roadrunner.rootfs" folder (STAY in this folder)

5) Pull the following file out of the webOS 1.4.5 doctor: /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin
    6) Pull the following FILES out of the webOS 2.0.1 doctor:
    /usr/bin/PalmClassic
    /usr/lib/BrowserPlugins/MAPartsAdapter.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Blazer.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Cap.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Emul68kStub.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_HostControl.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_HsExtensionsShim.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_HsNavShim.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PalmosLinuxDal.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PartsLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PartsSerialDriver.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Phone.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PhoneInterfaceLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmBtPartsUi.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmConnectionManagerLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmConnectionManagerPalmOsLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmFakeSlotDriver.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmLinuxFs.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmLinuxUtils.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmMaWelcome.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmNetPrefLx.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmNetSim.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmPCBtLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmPartsNotifyLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmPdnsLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmRomTokenLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmSystem.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_System.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_TelephonyInterfaceLayer.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Ui.so
    /usr/lib/palmos/.copyclassicapps.sh
    /usr/lib/palmos/.preferences-default
    /usr/lib/palmos/.prepare.sh
    /usr/lib/palmos/.uprepare.sh
    /usr/lib/palmos/Read Me.txt
    /usr/lib/palmos/classic.rgba
    /usr/lib/palmos/expired.rgba
    /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.motionapps.palmos.service
    /usr/share/ls2/roles/prv/com.motionapps.palmos.json
    7) Copy those files into the "files" folder referenced in STEP 1 (maintain the directory structure from the above file listings)
    8) Download IPK Packager (Ipk Packager.jar - ipk-packager - Ipk Packager v1.6 - Project Hosting on Google Code), a product of Jason Robitaille
    9) Open IPK Packager, browse to the "files" folder referenced in STEP 1
    10) Package it up, install through WebOS Quick Install (DO NOT USE the webOS SDK)

If it doesn't work: REMEMBER your directory structure. Make sure the above copied files are exactly where they should be (i.e. ROM.bin needs to be in files/usr/lib/palmos/rom0)

DONATIONS:

I welcome donations if this helped you in any way. If you wish to donate to me, please also consider donating to Jason Robitaille, because this is based off of the steps he wrote for packaging up Flash and making it run on webOS 2.1-toting Pre+ devices. This also uses a very handy tool created by him, so that's another reason to consider donating to him. Without his tool and great idea for packaging up Flash, you would be installing this by copying files to USB mode and running a BASH file. Please send him a thanks somewhere, even if you cannot donate to him.

PayPal donation to me: PayPal

PayPal donation to Jason Robitaille: PayPal Donation to Jason Robitaille
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 05/12/2011 at 11:34 PM.
    Arthur Thornton

talk about something I will gladly waste my time on.

thanks man!
  8.    #148  
    Also, keep in mind the method on post 146 has been verified to work. I verified it on my Pre2 that I updated OTA to webOS 2.1.0 (I verified twice in fact).

If it doesn't work, remove the installed app (such as through Preware), then delete all of the files from your computer. Start over from step 1. Then you should end up with a working version.
    Arthur Thornton

so do i download CLassic frmo the app catalog first before installing the created ipk? (finished the steps... excited)
    well... failed... it gives me the screen to do a system upgrade before it even launches...

is this because my profile says i am running 1.4.5 still and not 2.1?

Sorry I am real new to this.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    The directory structure in the zip contains:

files/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins

However, the original directory in the doctor is /usr/lib/BrowserPlugins and the install script of the ipk also uses usr/lib/BrowserPlugins.

So I changed the directory name in the files structure.

Edit:
    I did the rest according to the post, but when I start Classic, it crashes Luna. I have this in /var/log/messages:

2011-03-09T14:16:28.146118Z [3496] palm-webos kern.info kernel: [ 3496.300000] minicore_launch: CRASH! WebAppMgr(11962) received 11. Waiting up to 60s for minicore to attach.

Edit2:
    I can't start other apps, too (for ex. Facebook). Fortunately I was able to start Preware and remove the ipk. Any ideas?

Edit3:
    When I use the wrong directory ("BrowserServerPlugins"), then I can still start Facebook, but Classic says, it wants to update the OS.
    Last edited by sidamos; 03/09/2011 at 09:21 AM.
  12.    #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    The directory structure in the zip contains:

files/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins

However, the original directory in the doctor is /usr/lib/BrowserPlugins and the install script of the ipk also uses usr/lib/BrowserPlugins.

So I changed the directory name in the files structure.

Edit:
    I did the rest according to the post, but when I start Classic, it crashes Luna. I have this in /var/log/messages:

2011-03-09T14:16:28.146118Z [3496] palm-webos kern.info kernel: [ 3496.300000] minicore_launch: CRASH! WebAppMgr(11962) received 11. Waiting up to 60s for minicore to attach.

Edit2:
    I can't start other apps, too (for ex. Facebook). Fortunately I was able to start Preware and remove the ipk. Any ideas?

Edit3:
    When I use the wrong directory ("BrowserServerPlugins"), then I can still start Facebook, but Classic says, it wants to update the OS.
    If, when you are in IPK Packager, you navigate into the files folder, it works fine.

Make sure you pulled the right files from the right Doctors. That sounds like your issue.
    Arthur Thornton

Hello Arthur,
    I will test the new method again tonight, and report what I find. I have classic working again through copying the files with internalz, but I will erase it and try the automated way, just to give it another test. I will report tonight.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I am pretty sure, I have used the right doctors.

Could you please clarify the directory name issue that I mentioned (BrowserServerPlugins vs. BrowserPlugins)?

Edit: I have a Pre 2, if that matters.
    Last edited by sidamos; 03/09/2011 at 12:07 PM.
  15.    #155  
    I am pretty sure, I have used the right doctors.

Could you please clarify the directory name issue that I mentioned (BrowserServerPlugins vs. BrowserPlugins)?

Edit: I have a Pre 2, if that matters.
    BrowserPlugins

Remember to only pull the ROM out of the 1.4.5 Doctor. I accidentally pulled the MAPartsAdapter.so file from the 1.4.5 Doctor and it led to the exact issue you described.

Also make sure you pulled ALL of the necessary library files out of the 2.0.1 Doctor (as listed above) because that could cause WebAppMgr to crash if it can't load an expected library.
    Arthur Thornton

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I did it again (with BrowserPlugins) and have the same effect: Classic and other apps crash Luna.

That is the content of the data.tar.gz inside the ipk:

Code:
    drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/
    drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/bin/
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    14692 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/bin/PalmClassic
    drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/share/
    drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/share/dbus-1/
    drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel      112 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.motionapps.palmos.service
    drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/share/ls2/
    drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/share/ls2/roles/
    drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/share/ls2/roles/prv/
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel      301 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/share/ls2/roles/prv/com.motionapps.palmos.json
    drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/
    drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/BrowserPlugins/
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel   376872 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/BrowserPlugins/MAPartsAdapter.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    10744 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PartsSerialDriver.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    11104 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_HostControl.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    43804 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_Ui.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel     7020 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_TelephonyInterfaceLayer.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel     9404 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmLinuxUtils.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    47792 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PhoneInterfaceLib.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel     4144 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_Blazer.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel     7988 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmPartsNotifyLib.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    14160 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmNetPrefLx.so
    drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/palmos/
    drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/palmos/rom0/
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel  9830400 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel      440 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/palmos/Read Me.txt
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel       50 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/palmos/.preferences-default
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel     1899 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/palmos/.prepare.sh
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel      445 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/palmos/.uprepare.sh
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel   409600 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/palmos/classic.rgba
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel   409600 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/palmos/expired.rgba
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel      512 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/palmos/.copyclassicapps.sh
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    19540 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmFakeSlotDriver.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel     5188 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmPCBtLib.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    10912 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_HsNavShim.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel     3636 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PartsLib.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    12332 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmSystem.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    63452 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmNetSim.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    11404 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmConnectionManagerPalmOsLib.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel     3372 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmMaWelcome.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    18140 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmLinuxFs.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    24576 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_Emul68kStub.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    26416 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_Cap.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel     2932 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmBtPartsUi.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel     8652 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmPdnsLib.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel     8848 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmRomTokenLib.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    38988 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_HsExtensionsShim.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel   110880 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_System.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel   213468 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PalmosLinuxDal.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel    25432 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_PmConnectionManagerLib.so
    -rw-r--r-- root/wheel     9932 2011-03-09 19:35 ./usr/lib/libMA_Phone.so
    Last edited by sidamos; 03/09/2011 at 12:47 PM.
  17.    #157  
    I did it again (with BrowserPlugins) and have the same effect: Classic and other apps crash Luna.

That is the content of the data.tar.gz inside the ipk:
    (file listing removed)
    And to confirm, you used ClassicROMContainer.zip from post 146 as your baseline working directory for copying all of the files into?
    Arthur Thornton

Arthur,

I followed the instructions but I still get the update the system software message (VZW Pre Plus and webOS 2.1). Question: when one extracts the various files from the tars, should one extract them to the Files directory or to their subdirectories within files? That is, if I'm extracting

should it be extracted to
    /Files/libMA_HSExtensionsShim.so

or /Files/usr/lib/libMA_HsExtensionsShim.so

for the .ipk to be properly made? Thanks. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  19.    #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Arthur,

I followed the instructions but I still get the update the system software message (VZW Pre Plus and webOS 2.1). Question: when one extracts the various files from the tars, should one extract them to the Files directory or to their subdirectories within files? That is, if I'm extracting

should it be extracted to
    /Files/libMA_HSExtensionsShim.so

or /Files/usr/lib/libMA_HsExtensionsShim.so

for the .ipk to be properly made? Thanks. {Jonathan}
    It should go inside /files/usr/lib ... Make sure all files you copied are put into their proper directory structure.
    Arthur Thornton

20.    #160  
    If you are experiencing any issues, try the following debugging steps:

1) REBOOT your device (it REQUIRES a reboot, WOSQI should do this automatically, but it doesn't appear to do so); If this fixes your issue, don't look further
    2) If it still doesn't load, uninstall through WOSQI (Preware doesn't actually delete the files, oddly enough)
    3) Then delete all files you copied; start over from step 1 on post 146
    4) Try installing it again

EDIT: The latest ClassicROMContainer.zip file (if you download that one and use the new one as your working directory) will AUTOMATICALLY reboot your device for you on installs and uninstalls.

Also, I've done this to my own homebrew testing device over a dozen times now, each time it was successful. Just keep trying and you'll get it working.

Finally, remember that redistribution of this is illegal and may even violate patents. DO NOT redistribute the IPK that is created. If ANY post discusses redistribution, or links to it, they will be reported to the moderators and your post will be deleted by the mods.
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 03/09/2011 at 02:43 PM.
    Arthur Thornton

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast