Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Ok... Making (slow) progress. I found and copied all the required files from the 2.0.1 doctor (after remembering to make the file system readable first). Then I finally was able to get the linkClassic.sh to run with the ROM also being copied to it's correct place in the file system.

Classic launches no problem now and I get the emulator window but inside is just a white screen with no apps.

Any ideas?
    Double check position of com.motionapps.palmos.json
    also, the basics: do you have the appropriate prc files installed? Check out the basic classic install instructions and make sure you are doing everything there correctly. By the way, did anyone notice classic going slower and crashing more often? Or is it just me?
    Slover? not sure, because I have not over clocked 2.1 yet. More crashes? yes, but I remember that over clocking also made classic more stable. So lets wait for over clocking to be released.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harhoe View Post
    Double check position of com.motionapps.palmos.json
    It's in /usr/share/ls2/prv/.

What do you mean by the "basic" install instructions?

The only other thing I've noticed is that when I ran the linkClassic.sh it spit back a
    /usr/bin/chatter: inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on /media/internal/ROM.bin
    but it has to be at
    /usr/share/ls2/roles/prv/
    By basic, I mean the same instructions used to install apps on 1.x. If classic is working, but the apps are not loading, perhaps you merely have to reinstall them into classic. I forget the exact procedure, it has been quite some time since ive done it.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    but it has to be at
    /usr/share/ls2/roles/prv/
    It is. That was a typo on my first post.

I'll look into installing the basic apps again.

EDIT:

VICTORY!!!!!

I deleted and then reinstalled the app from the catalog and it works like a charm. It even restored the prc files and databases that were on there before I doctored up to 2.1.

Thanks for the help everybody.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Ok I fixed my last problem w/ re-doctoring

I get

/usr/bin/chatter: inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on /media/internal/ROM.bin
    when running linkClassic and then also a blank/static looking screen
    Attached Images Attached Images
    just do

mount -o remount,rw /
    ln -s /media/internal/ROM.bin /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin
    mount -o remount,ro /

and forget the chattr. It's not applicable on fat partitions.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    and then also a blank/static looking screen
    I had that (minus the static). When it would load, the motionapps logo would fade in and out and then that was it. I deleted the app and then reinstalled from the catalog and it worked.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    just do

mount -o remount,rw /
    ln -s /media/internal/ROM.bin /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin
    mount -o remount,ro /

and forget the chattr. It's not applicable on fat partitions.
    Ok. I tried doing this to link it, and I also tried just putting the actual file @ /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin and chmod 755

Neither work. Still get a blank/static screen. I verified the files should all be where they are supposed to be. Surely I'm doing something wrong.

Also tried redownloading Classic again, and also got ROM.bin from a different webosdoctor and it still didn't work

[edit]

I don't get a motionapps text appearance
    Last edited by Kujila; 03/07/2011 at 04:28 PM.
    I avoided all the command line problems by just putting all the files on the usb partition then using internalz to move them to the appropriate spot. Again, I cannot vouch for the long term wisdom of this plan, and will happily be corrected by the smart guys, but it does work for now, and is far easier than fooling with command line (in my opinion). Hope this helps you guys who are still trying to get it on.
  14.    #134  
    I am finalizing a few things right now, along with writing up new instructions.

If you have done any changes already, revert them if you wish to use the new instructions to get it working. This should guarantee usage, as long as you follow instructions. NO more command line is necessary. This will be a copy/paste of files on your computer, then you package it up (with instructions I will provide) and then you can install it through WebOS Quick Install. Note, you will NOT be allowed to distribute the IPK that is created though, because doing so could violate patent laws and would definitely violate copyright laws.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    definitely looking forward to this sir!! you will be the man of the hour for webos-using healthcare professionals!
  16.    #136  
    *****UNTESTED*****

Please, only ONE person test this. PLEASE post if you plan to test, that way we only have one person testing (because if this doesn't work, it is best not to have 50 people trying it)

STEPS:

1) Download the attached ZIP; Extract it; Open the "files" folder; (STAY in this folder in ONE WINDOW, open new file browsing window)
    2) Download the Pre/Pre+ 1.4.5 webOS Doctor
    3) Download the Pre2 2.0.1 webOS Doctor
    4) Extract the doctors as follows:
    1.4.5: Unzip the Doctor file (.jar); Open "resources" folder; Untar webOS.tar; Open "webOS" folder; Untar "nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz"; Open "nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs" folder (STAY in this folder, open new file browsing window)
    2.0.1: Unzip the Doctor file (.jar); Open "resources" folder; Untar webOS.tar; Open "webOS" folder; Untar "nova-cust-image-roadrunner.rootfs.tar.gz"; Open "nova-cust-image-roadrunner.rootfs" folder (STAY in this folder)

5) Pull the following file out of the webOS 1.4.5 doctor: /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin
    6) Pull the following FILES out of the webOS 2.0.1 doctor:
    /usr/bin/PalmClassic
    /usr/lib/BrowserPlugins/MAPartsAdapter.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Blazer.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Cap.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Emul68kStub.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_HostControl.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_HsExtensionsShim.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_HsNavShim.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PalmosLinuxDal.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PartsLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PartsSerialDriver.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Phone.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PhoneInterfaceLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmBtPartsUi.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmConnectionManagerLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmConnectionManagerPalmOsLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmFakeSlotDriver.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmLinuxFs.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmLinuxUtils.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmMaWelcome.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmNetPrefLx.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmNetSim.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmPCBtLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmPartsNotifyLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmPdnsLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmRomTokenLib.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_PmSystem.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_System.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_TelephonyInterfaceLayer.so
    /usr/lib/libMA_Ui.so
    /usr/lib/palmos/.copyclassicapps.sh
    /usr/lib/palmos/.preferences-default
    /usr/lib/palmos/.prepare.sh
    /usr/lib/palmos/.uprepare.sh
    /usr/lib/palmos/Read Me.txt
    /usr/lib/palmos/classic.rgba
    /usr/lib/palmos/expired.rgba
    /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.motionapps.palmos.service
    /usr/share/ls2/roles/prv/com.motionapps.palmos.json
    7) Copy those files into the "files" folder referenced in STEP 1
    8) Download IPK Packager (Ipk Packager.jar - ipk-packager - Ipk Packager v1.6 - Project Hosting on Google Code), a product of Jason Robitaille
    9) Open IPK Packager, browse to the "files" folder referenced in STEP 1
    10) Package it up, install through WebOS Quick Install

DONATIONS:

I welcome donations if this helped you in any way. If you wish to donate to me, please also consider donating to Jason Robitaille, because this is based off of the steps he wrote for packaging up Flash and making it run on webOS 2.1-toting Pre+ devices. This also uses a very handy tool created by him, so that's another reason to consider donating to him. Without his tool and great idea for packaging up Flash, you would be installing this by copying files to USB mode and running a BASH file. Please send him a thanks somewhere, even if you cannot donate to him.

PayPal donation to me: PayPal

PayPal donation to Jason Robitaille: PayPal Donation to Jason Robitaille
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 03/12/2011 at 12:40 AM.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I'll let others report their successes first.
    I can test it, but not for another 12 hours or so. If I get back on and no one else has volunteered, I will test it out.

I have a freshly meta-doctored verizon preplus running 2.1
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I can't get it to work this way either. I still get a black screen. I wasn't fresh off a doctor, though.

I am wondering if some of my files are corrupt or something. I am giving up for now, I've spent too much time on this.

I've attached a script I have been using in my experiments that cleans out Classic "guts" from 2.1 (the files arthurthornton listed above) from /usr/ and also from /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/. Use at your own risk; I am not a Linux power-user, but worth a shot if it saves you the time of re-doctoring, I reckon.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Alright Arthur, less than sucessful test, but I think I tracked down two out of three problems:
    1) all the contents of the usr/lib/palmos folder, including the rom, did not copy onto the device. The reason was that the folder did not exist in 2.1. I created it with internalz, re-added the package, and all was well
    2) /usr/lib/BrowserPlugins/MAPartsAdapter.so copied to the BrowserServerPlugins folder instead. I checked, and the reason was your file folder attached to your post had only that folder, not the BrowserPlugins folder. I moved the file with internalz, and all was well
    3) I am not having the same problem nethan had, though I never had it before with manual instalation. I am getting classic up and running, but there are no apps or anything: just a white screen. It will not import any prcs I put in the "install" folder. This one, however, I have not been able to track down.

I hope this helps, thanks for all your hard work!!
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast