Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I've uploaded a new version that requires just 2 commands, because everything is now housed in a very simple bash file (though it was uploaded in txt format due to P|C forum restrictions).

This should make it simpler for everybody. Also, I'm testing this right now on my Pre2, something I've been intending to do for some time now (but never got around to doing).
    Thanks! This method finally works successfully for me - now I just have to persuade Motion Apps to licence Classic for my Pre 2!
    .....now I just have to persuade Motion Apps to licence Classic for my Pre 2!

.....Which they did within 24 hours so now Classic works for me on the Pre2 under webOS 2.01. Seems generally quite stable too - the only thing I've noticed is it doesn't like "soft reseting" and classic tends to lock up the whole device so that I have to pull the battery...Perhaps this was one of the incompatabilities that caused MotionApps to bail out? Hot Syncs OK though.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post

.....Which they did within 24 hours so now Classic works for me on the Pre2 under webOS 2.01. Seems generally quite stable too - the only thing I've noticed is it doesn't like "soft reseting" and classic tends to lock up the whole device so that I have to pull the battery...Perhaps this was one of the incompatabilities that caused MotionApps to bail out? Hot Syncs OK though.
    Nah, MotionApps bailed out because they made assumptions as to why Palm removed the PalmOS ROM from the Pre2.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    i wonder if palm will now include classic as a free download or if they will let motionapps keep selling it. i would think that if it's sitting in their lap, they may put it out there, or maybe not. I am not arguing the merits of doing so, however.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post

.....Which they did within 24 hours so now Classic works for me on the Pre2 under webOS 2.01.....
    First of all, hi everyone! Great Forum!

Now, I am not a Programmer, but I need to get "Classic" to run on my new Pre (not Pre2! - sorry, slightly of the topic) it's unlocked from Europe and I am sitting in Africa.

If I go on the Apps Catalog on the Pre, I find the App: "Classic" - but it does not want to start and says: you must select the Option: “Buy now”
    If I select that from the Menu, it takes me to MotionApps and from there to a site at Palm where it says: “Invalid Link”

I also tryed to contact MotionApps, but got no reply.

Could someone advice me where and how I could get “Classic” to run on my new Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreZulu View Post
    First of all, hi everyone! Great Forum!

Now, I am not a Programmer, but I need to get "Classic" to run on my new Pre (not Pre2! - sorry, slightly of the topic) it's unlocked from Europe and I am sitting in Africa.

If I go on the Apps Catalog on the Pre, I find the App: "Classic" - but it does not want to start and says: you must select the Option: “Buy now”
    If I select that from the Menu, it takes me to MotionApps and from there to a site at Palm where it says: “Invalid Link”

I also tryed to contact MotionApps, but got no reply.

Could someone advice me where and how I could get “Classic” to run on my new Pre?
    Hi PreZulu and welcome to the forum! As I understand it, MotionApps announced on 25th October 2010 that they were no longer selling Classic as a webOS app to any new customers and were handing all the source code for the app over to Palm/HP. See this blog: MotionApps: MotionApps Hands Classic Over to Palm

As a result MotionApps are now only supporting existing customers (ie those who paid for Classic before the 25th October) which was how I managed to get the licence for Classic transferred to my Palm Pre as I had previously purchased Classic for my old Pre a year ago.

I don't think it is now possible to buy a licensed version of Classic and it won't be possible unless HP/Palm decide to sell Classic and support it. The only version you can download from the app catalogue is the trial version which will run for 7 days and then it will stop working. I don't think therefore that you will have any luck in getting a working copy of Classic on your Pre unless you know someone who has previously bought a full Classic licence, doesn't want it anymore and is prepared to ask MotionApps to transfer their licenced copy from their phone to your Pre's serial number.

Sorry if this isn't the news you wanted to hear...
    Thanks PreGP!

Yes, I understand all of that and I am aware of that!

But look at this Page of HP/Palm : developer(point)palm(point)com/webChannel/index(point)php?packageid=com(point)motionapps(point)app(point)classicw# (I wrote out the Points: "." because I am not allowed to put in links yet!) just put the "http forwardslash forwardshlash" in front of that link.

Here HP/Palm is offering "Classic" to all(?) the Pre-Users - NO! And this is my point it is only offered to Customers in those 8 Countrys listed there!

Now my 1. Question: Is it not possible somehow for me to get it here in Africa? I need it badly!

2. Question: Is there someone out there that - as you suggested - has previously bought a full Classic licence, doesn't want it anymore and is prepared to ask MotionApps to transfer their licenced copy from their phone to my Pre's serial number

Thanks again to you and to everyone here!

(I have still got Hope against all Hope!)
    Quote Originally Posted by PreZulu View Post
    ....If I go on the Apps Catalog on the Pre, I find the App: "Classic" - but it does not want to start and says: you must select the Option: “Buy now”
    It sounds as if you've already downloaded and installed Classic onto your Pre. It won't run now until it is activated and you can't activate it without persuading someone who doesn't want their Classic licence to transfer their licence to your Pre. I don't think the fact that you are in Africa makes any difference - what matters is in what country your phone was when it was first activated.
    The country it was first activated was Germany, and it was with the Provider O2 as far as I know.

But what does that matter? It is unlocked now and I need the App!

On that Webpage, that I mentioned above, HP/Palm is offering to send the App to your Phone.
    But I havn't got a Sim/Phonenumber of one of those Countrys!

I downloaded and installed "Classic" from the Apps Catalog on my Pre from MotionApps and that does not work anymore, as we all know!
    I'm not sure what this workaround is bypassing. I'm getting the following on my 2.0 when I launch Classic. I hope someone can help me here. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by yitz0550; 01/26/2011 at 10:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by yitz0550 View Post
    I'm not sure what this workaround is bypassing. I'm getting the following on my 2.0 when I launch Classic. I hope someone can help me here. Thanks in advance.
    Does it happen every time? It's a known issue. Motionapps acknowledged it and promised to fix it with the next major webOS update. Turns out they were referring to webOS 2.0, and we all know how that turned out. So, since Classic is basically out of support, you'll just have to live with it. It's mentioned in this thread...
    http://forums.precentral.net/officia...bos-1-4-a.html (See post #13 by broncot)
    Hi. Yes, it happens every time and I have no way of accessing Classic, as this dumps me out no matter which of the 2 options I choose.

Does anybody know what to patch to get it to skip the webOS version check, or to make it think I'm running 1.4.5?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by yitz0550 View Post
    Deleting classic, running through the procedure in the OP and then reinstalling classic from the apps catalog solved this issue for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I've uploaded a new version that requires just 2 commands, because everything is now housed in a very simple bash file (though it was uploaded in txt format due to P|C forum restrictions).
    Where can I find this upload?
    SIAP earlier...but what is the difference between using the batch file in the OP verses just copying the rom using internalz? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    SIAP earlier...
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by regnaD kciN View Post
    Sorry If Asked Previously
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    SIAP earlier...but what is the difference between using the batch file in the OP verses just copying the rom using internalz? Sorry if this is a stupid question...
    The first reason is that the system partition doesn't have the space available for the ROM.

Secondly, FileMgr (needed for Internalz) is not yet 2.0-compatible (though I know Jason is working on it)
    Arthur Thornton

19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by regnaD kciN View Post
    Where can I find this upload?
    Check the first post

It is attached to the post (at the bottom of the first post)
    Arthur Thornton

Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Non-Programmer Directions
    Nothing required but Novaterm and an "unzip" program! No programming knowledge needed!

0. Download the webOS Doctor.

1. Right-click the doctor and open it up with your "unzip" program (WinRar, Archive Manager, whatever).

2. Open up the "resources" folder

3. Extract the "webos.jar" file to your Desktop (or preferred folder)

4. Right-click this file and open it with your "unzip" program

5. Find the "nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz" and extract that to your Desktop (or preferred folder)

6. Right-click this file and open it with your "unzip" program

7. Click on the . folder, then the usr folder, then the lib folder, then the palmos folder, then the rom0 folder and finally we arrive at, ROM.bin. Extract this file to your Desktop (or your preferred folder).

8. Next, connect your Pre to your PC and click USB mode. Place the ROM.bin file onto your Pre. Get out of USB mode, but leave the Pre connected.

9. Now, it's time to use Novaterm. Please read here for WebOS Internals instructions: Accessing Linux Using Novaterm - WebOS Internals for your operating system.

10. Now that you're sitting at your device's command line, type in the following code, remembering to press enter after each line:

11. Reboot. Either manually or just type reboot.

And you're done!
    I'm getting ready to keep Classic on my Verizon Pre 2 coming this week, but I can't get this to work. When I right click on the doctor, I get the option to extract using 7zip (I downloaded winrar, but that doesn't show as an option), it only gives me unreadable files. Any direction please?
    Thanks
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789 14 ... LastLast