Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    Can someone explain what needs to be done in simple language that the novice can execute? I am not sure what steps need to be taken prior to the on slaught of webOS 2.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by jingles View Post
    Can someone explain what needs to be done in simple language that the novice can execute? I am not sure what steps need to be taken prior to the on slaught of webOS 2.0.
    It would be better if you posted what you were unsure about so that the instructions can be updated rather than pre-emptively try to create a different version for everyone's specific definition of the word novice.
    Mr. Thornton
    Any help you can give to get "Power48" to work in Classic would be greatly appreciated.
    It attempts to startup but causes the proverbial "illegal operation" error.

TIA
    Just my $.02 concerning the future of Classic. I am a Noob on my VZ Pre + although I have been using Palms since the standalone devices, then to Treo 600 and 650. My last Palm was a VZ Centro and it was a great phone and a Palm PIM but lacking in other smartphone features. I have owned my VZ Palm + for over a month now and have learned much just by lurking in PreCentral forum. I have already installed many of the patches and this alone has made the Pre Plus much enjoyable and functional to my needs.

One of main reason why I have been a devoted Palm platform user is due to one app that I have been using since the early Palm standalone PIM days- Infoselect by MicroLogic. I use both a desktop and a Palm version to house literally thousands of free form data. This app allows me to quickly lookup information on my projects, specs, contacts, memos, etc., in seconds either on my desktop or from my Palm. After using this app since the early 90's and compiling my entire career information, I simply cannot dismiss or move to another database. I will say that if Classic was not available for my Pre+, I would not have migrated to the WebOs platform. I was more than a little disturbed to find out within weeks after purchasing and installing Motionapp Classic, it was surrendered to HP with no promise of further development by the original developer. Not sure what HP plans to do with this app.

I love some of the features in Classic such as the ability to sync over Wifi with my MS Outlook 2007 for contacts, schedules and tasks although slightly awkward since you first need to boot up Classic before you can use the sync'd info. My company does not use Exchange server so other than using Chapura Mirror, which should have been included as part of core apps by Palm, I can use Classic to achieve a similar function. Scheduled alarms and similar works great from within Classic. Wifi synch is also very handy. I had hoped that Classic would be further developed to incorporate copy, paste and export function to WebOs apps outside of the Classic bundle.

Hopefully, I will be able to use Classic after VZ pushes WebOS 2 update using the tips provided.

Thx.
    Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinUK View Post
    I didn't do any of that, I just made the directory /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.motionapps.app.classic/palmos/rom0 and copied ROM.bin to it.

no need for mount, chmod or a reboot
    Note that 'rest of the world' Classic is not located in the directory
    com.motionapps.app.classic
    We have it located in (note the letter W)
    com.motionapps.app.classicw

However, the rom image (ROM.bin), using the solution quoted, needs to be in the directory without the W also for the rest of the world. You have to create it. It worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinUK View Post
    I didn't do any of that, I just made the directory /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.motionapps.app.classic/palmos/rom0 and copied ROM.bin to it.

no need for mount, chmod or a reboot
    This will probably not survive an OTA update. Arthur's method does.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post

You may also want to copy the Classics app from your device so you can have it saved on your PC if Palm does pull the app from the catalog. I say this because I had a program that was pulled from the catalog (Digloo, because Digg borked it and still hasn't fixed the problems) and it does not restore after doctoring the device (even though I paid for it).

Also, afoulds, no need to reverse anything, you didn't really do anything but mount the file system as writable, change the permissions of the extracted ROM, and try to set up a symbolic link, which failed. As for that person, what they really mean is the ROM, Classic is an app that is not in the doctor.

For getting the Classic app, it is available for free in the app catalog, so you should be able to get it using the ipk fetcher.
    Just for clarification, I downloaded IPK Fetcher and generated the "Classic" IPK and it is now stored in a folder created by IPK Fetcher as "IPKGenApps" although the file name of "com.motionapps.app.classic_0.0.1_all.ipk is only 5kb. The IPK Fetcher shows the file size as 2731kb prior to generating the IPK. Am I missing something? The description from the IPK Fetcher states that this is a 7 day trial version that can be purchased. I currently run a licensed copy on my VZ Pre+. Do I need to do anything else in case I receive an OTA update to WebOs 2 down the road. I have the prc files and so I am not worried about losing any specific applications installed in Classic. Any data lost can be res-sync'd with my desktop version afterwards.

I don't believe I have downloaded a working app, only 5kb, as I also read somewhere within another thread in PC forum that IPK Fetcher only generates a dummy app. How do I have a working Classic app stored away prior to WebOs2 possible overwrite? Is there a method in which I can simply copy my licensed version off my Pre+ vs. the IPK Fetcher?

Thanks.

Jon
    Yeeeeah, I don't use IPK fetcher so I don't know how it works, but I thought it would be easier, so that's why I suggested it!

But if you already have it, you can copy the app folder (com.motionapps.app.classic) from the cryptfos file path to the internals filepath for usb access or just ssh into the cryptfos file path directly, which is what I do. Then repackage the ipk using the sdk or the packager by Jason, it's on the forums somewhere (probably where the fetcher is).

I don't think it's a smiled upon method, but you paid for it, so go to town.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Yeeeeah, I don't use IPK fetcher so I don't know how it works, but I thought it would be easier, so that's why I suggested it!

But if you already have it, you can copy the app folder (com.motionapps.app.classic) from the cryptfos file path to the internals filepath for usb access or just ssh into the cryptfos file path directly, which is what I do. Then repackage the ipk using the sdk or the packager by Jason, it's on the forums somewhere (probably where the fetcher is).

I don't think it's a smiled upon method, but you paid for it, so go to town.
    Thx. Could you or others explain this in a step by step for a Noob?

Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by jjsorkin View Post
    Thx. Could you or others explain this in a step by step for a Noob?

Jon
    Malpha,

Thx.

Jon
    I waited for the Pre2 to be available in The Netherlands only to find that Classic is no longer available. Thanks to these instructions above I was able to install in on my Pre2. I also have the free version downloaded from the app catalog. But I cannot obtain a licence now, can I?
    I have requested it nicely at the guys from MotionApps. So I hope to get some relief there. Are there any other options?
    Any word from Motionapps whether they will officially support this?
    I consider myself very lucky and have been supported in a great way to able to get the Classic app working. Not in the last place by all the info found here. Thumbs up to all!
    Quote Originally Posted by MRdeJong View Post
    I consider myself very lucky and have been supported in a great way to able to get the Classic app working. Not in the last place by all the info found here. Thumbs up to all!
    So, are you saying Motionapps did activate your copy running on webOS 2.0?
    Somebody could say what should happen after placing ROM.bin on USB (/media/internal) or /media/cryptofs... with "ln -s.." and restarting phone?
    I have Pre 2 with webOS 2.0.1 and tried several times erase all date and place step by step ROM.bin from Pre Plus webosdoctor. But nothing happens I looked at Applications, Extras, System - no new icons for Classic
    Although I have tried to follow the instructions in this thread to the letter, everytime I try to run Classic on my Pre 2 it runs for about a second and then crashes with the message: "Illegal Operation: The application <> performed an illegal operation and cannot continue. If this Message appears again, please contact the developer of this application." Looking back it does seem as if most of the people contributing to the thread are writing theoretically and haven't got a Pre 2 to try it on. Has anyone actually managed to get Classic to not only install but to run successfully on a Pre 2 without running into the illegal operation screen?
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    Although I have tried to follow the instructions in this thread to the letter, everytime I try to run Classic on my Pre 2 it runs for about a second and then crashes with the message: "Illegal Operation: The application <> performed an illegal operation and cannot continue. If this Message appears again, please contact the developer of this application." Looking back it does seem as if most of the people contributing to the thread are writing theoretically and haven't got a Pre 2 to try it on. Has anyone actually managed to get Classic to not only install but to run successfully on a Pre 2 without running into the illegal operation screen?
    I wrote this post theoretically, but it was indeed confirmed on page 2 I believe.

Did you use a ROW Pre/Pre+ doctor to get the ROM? (as in, did you use the UK doctor, since you're in the UK)
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
    Somebody could say what should happen after placing ROM.bin on USB (/media/internal) or /media/cryptofs... with "ln -s.." and restarting phone?
    I have Pre 2 with webOS 2.0.1 and tried several times erase all date and place step by step ROM.bin from Pre Plus webosdoctor. But nothing happens I looked at Applications, Extras, System - no new icons for Classic
    You must install the app separately. This doesn't install Classic, it merely keeps the PalmOS ROM on the device.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
  19.    #59  
    I've uploaded a new version that requires just 2 commands, because everything is now housed in a very simple bash file (though it was uploaded in txt format due to P|C forum restrictions).

This should make it simpler for everybody. Also, I'm testing this right now on my Pre2, something I've been intending to do for some time now (but never got around to doing).
    Arthur Thornton

20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    I verified that this does happen with the normal instructions. It looks like when the file was being linked, it couldn't happen due to an existing link.

My solution was to delete the link, which means in the future, if Classic is fixed with the ROM included, I will need to provide instructions on how to get it working with that version (which isn't a problem).

Follow the new instructions in post 1 and you'll be golden.
    Arthur Thornton

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678 13 ... LastLast