Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920
Like Tree20Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I do not know what packager you had, but I assume it only had the kernel as webOS 2.0.1 already has the binary bits, but not the kernel.

You need to get the binary bits from webOS 2.0.1 and the kernel from webOS 1.4.5.x

Here is a link to a meta doctor script I wrote to get both...

How to Keep Classic with webOS 2.0 and above
    thanks for the reply, but I fear I dont have that much advanced knowledge in order to perform this operation I dabble with my phone but I am not that much of an expert, in fact my question was why is the Ipk i created and used sucessfully on the pre 2 successful until I go above 2.0.1
    Quote Originally Posted by chreet View Post
    thanks for the reply, but I fear I dont have that much advanced knowledge in order to perform this operation I dabble with my phone but I am not that much of an expert, in fact my question was why is the Ipk i created and used sucessfully on the pre 2 successful until I go above 2.0.1
    When webOS 2.0.1 came out they had a disk space issue, they did not have the utilities on the webOS 1.4.5.x to grow the root partition, which is where these modules are kept.

So they wanted to redesign the Classic app and have MotionApps copy the kernel, however, for some reason the Classic app could not copy the kernel. I do not know what happened but my guess is MotionApps did not have the rights to PalmOS kernel but Palm did...

However, here is the kicker, Palm was bought by HP, at that time either Palm lost the rights to PalmOS kernel? or they did not want to support the kernel as being part of the webOS build, either way they removed the kernel from webOS 2.0.1.

Now, your package (I do not know what it contains), I think only contains the kernel module (from webOS 1.4.5.x), as webOS 2.0.1 already has the binary bits (webKit Plug-ins), you do not need to add them.

But webOS 2.1.x or webOS 2.2.x does not have the binary modules (webKit Plug-ins) and the kernel, so you need to add them both...

Now here is another kicker... from the size of the root is ~468, the best is to grow the root partition to ~568...

My Super scripts (have not released these as of yet on github), not only include updated certs but will also update the root to handle the size issue that Palm did not want to fix.

So what I am trying to inform you (this is my guess), one you only have the kernel and you need the plugin modules, the script I detail in a few post before extracts both and will give you one TAR to apply to the root.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Thornton View Post
    STEPS:

1) Download the attached ZIP; Extract it; Open the "files" folder; (STAY in this folder in ONE WINDOW, open new file browsing window)
    2) Download the Pre/Pre+ 1.4.5 webOS Doctor
    3) Download the Pre2 2.0.1 webOS Doctor
    4) Extract the doctors as follows:
    1.4.5: Unzip the Doctor file (.jar); Open "resources" folder; Untar webOS.tar; Open "webOS" folder; Untar "nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz"; Open "nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs" folder (STAY in this folder, open new file browsing window)
    2.0.1: Unzip the Doctor file (.jar); Open "resources" folder; Untar webOS.tar; Open "webOS" folder; Untar "nova-cust-image-roadrunner.rootfs.tar.gz"; Open "nova-cust-image-roadrunner.rootfs" folder (STAY in this folder)

5) Pull the following file out of the webOS 1.4.5 doctor: /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin
    6) Pull the following FILES out of the webOS 2.0.1 doctor:

7) Copy those files into the "files" folder referenced in STEP 1 (maintain the directory structure from the above file listings)
    8) Download IPK Packager (Ipk Packager.jar - ipk-packager - Ipk Packager v1.6 - Project Hosting on Google Code), a product of Jason Robitaille
    9) Open IPK Packager, browse to the "files" folder referenced in STEP 1
    10) Package it up, install through WebOS Quick Install (DO NOT USE the webOS SDK)

If it doesn't work: REMEMBER your directory structure. Make sure the above copied files are exactly where they should be (i.e. ROM.bin needs to be in files/usr/lib/palmos/rom0)

DONATIONS:

I welcome donations if this helped you in any way. If you wish to donate to me, please also consider donating to Jason Robitaille, because this is based off of the steps he wrote for packaging up Flash and making it run on webOS 2.1-toting Pre+ devices. This also uses a very handy tool created by him, so that's another reason to consider donating to him. Without his tool and great idea for packaging up Flash, you would be installing this by copying files to USB mode and running a BASH file. Please send him a thanks somewhere, even if you cannot donate to him.

PayPal donation to me: PayPal

PayPal donation to Jason Robitaille: PayPal Donation to Jason Robitaille
    Hi, dear arthurthornton first allow me to thank you for the great effort you have put in order keep the legacy of palm alive, in fact I wanted to share with you the solution for a problem I was having whenever my palm updated beyond webos 2.0.1 as the message would be "an update is available" when I got my veer this problem persisted, but here is the solution than finally helped me keep classic on my veer, i used the steps described by arthurthornton in post 146 but I used the doctor for the palm pixi plus webos 1.4.5 instead of pre+ but I also added to the packaged folder the following path files \usr\lib\ipkg\info in which I put the following files
    com.motionapps.rom.classic.control
    com.motionapps.rom.classic.list
    com.motionapps.rom.classic.md5sums
    com.motionapps.service.classic.control
    com.motionapps.service.classic.list
    com.motionapps.service.classic.md5sums

and then I followed the steps described in the post 146 and to my great joy as I installed the package on the veer webos 2.1.2 it simply worked, plus I am now able to change the category colors of the calendar which I was not able to do before

I hope this helps
    Gwidion likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    When webOS 2.0.1 came out they had a disk space issue, they did not have the utilities on the webOS 1.4.5.x to grow the root partition, which is where these modules are kept.

So they wanted to redesign the Classic app and have MotionApps copy the kernel, however, for some reason the Classic app could not copy the kernel. I do not know what happened but my guess is MotionApps did not have the rights to PalmOS kernel but Palm did...

However, here is the kicker, Palm was bought by HP, at that time either Palm lost the rights to PalmOS kernel? or they did not want to support the kernel as being part of the webOS build, either way they removed the kernel from webOS 2.0.1.

Now, your package (I do not know what it contains), I think only contains the kernel module (from webOS 1.4.5.x), as webOS 2.0.1 already has the binary bits (webKit Plug-ins), you do not need to add them.

But webOS 2.1.x or webOS 2.2.x does not have the binary modules (webKit Plug-ins) and the kernel, so you need to add them both...

Now here is another kicker... from the size of the root is ~468, the best is to grow the root partition to ~568...

My Super scripts (have not released these as of yet on github), not only include updated certs but will also update the root to handle the size issue that Palm did not want to fix.

So what I am trying to inform you (this is my guess), one you only have the kernel and you need the plugin modules, the script I detail in a few post before extracts both and will give you one TAR to apply to the root.
    thank you for the explanations, you have been a great help
    any chance this works on a pre3 running 2.2.4?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katkiller View Post
    any chance this works on a pre3 running 2.2.4?
    I strongly hope someone comes on here and answers your question affirmatively, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I've been waiting for a positive answer to that question for three years (essentially for the entire life of my Pre 3).
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920