Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 386
Like Tree20Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    Let it die.
    We'll let it die on our own schedule thank you.
  2. #22  
    firstly, this is my first post so hello everyone and thanks for all the useful info.

    I just tried the above on my Pre2 and it works fine – great idea!

    There is actually already a symbolic link on the Pre2 for the palm OS ROM as follows...

    /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin –> /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.motionapps.app.classic/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin

    ...so it looks like Palm planned for MotionApps to just include the ROM with future distributions but they seem to have thrown their toys out of the pram.

    I simply made the above directory and copied the ROM there so I didn’t even need to make the link that Arthur suggests.

    For some reason Classic uses /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.motionapps.app.classicw rather than com.motionapps.app.classic

    -martin
  3. #23  
    I see you made the top story on P|C!
    I paid for classic but never use it anymore so I won't load it but I am glad to see that it can be done. Nice job!!!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  4. #24  
    Non-Programmer Directions
    Nothing required but Novaterm and an "unzip" program! No programming knowledge needed!

    0. Download the webOS Doctor.

    1. Right-click the doctor and open it up with your "unzip" program (WinRar, Archive Manager, whatever).

    2. Open up the "resources" folder

    3. Extract the "webos.jar" file to your Desktop (or preferred folder)

    4. Right-click this file and open it with your "unzip" program

    5. Find the "nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz" and extract that to your Desktop (or preferred folder)

    6. Right-click this file and open it with your "unzip" program

    7. Click on the . folder, then the usr folder, then the lib folder, then the palmos folder, then the rom0 folder and finally we arrive at, ROM.bin. Extract this file to your Desktop (or your preferred folder).

    8. Next, connect your Pre to your PC and click USB mode. Place the ROM.bin file onto your Pre. Get out of USB mode, but leave the Pre connected.

    9. Now, it's time to use Novaterm. Please read here for WebOS Internals instructions: Accessing Linux Using Novaterm - WebOS Internals for your operating system.

    10. Now that you're sitting at your device's command line, type in the following code, remembering to press enter after each line:

    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod 755 /media/internal/ROM.bin
    ln -s /media/internal/ROM.bin /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin
    chattr +i /media/internal/ROM.bin
    mount -o remount,ro /
    11. Reboot. Either manually or just type reboot.

    And you're done!
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  5. #25  
    I didn't do any of that, I just made the directory /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.motionapps.app.classic/palmos/rom0 and copied ROM.bin to it.

    no need for mount, chmod or a reboot
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinUK View Post
    firstly, this is my first post so hello everyone and thanks for all the useful info.

    I just tried the above on my Pre2 and it works fine great idea!

    There is actually already a symbolic link on the Pre2 for the palm OS ROM as follows...

    /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin > /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.motionapps.app.classic/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin

    ...so it looks like Palm planned for MotionApps to just include the ROM with future distributions but they seem to have thrown their toys out of the pram.

    I simply made the above directory and copied the ROM there so I didnt even need to make the link that Arthur suggests.

    For some reason Classic uses /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.motionapps.app.classicw rather than com.motionapps.app.classic

    -martin
    That there confirms what I've said all along. Palm just removed the ROM so Classic could be repackaged with the ROM.

    And I actually hadn't been able to test all of that, since I don't yet have a Pre2.. Here's hoping I can get one this week.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  7. JKM
    JKM is offline
    JKM's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    #27  
    It works? That's great!

    So now I can buy a Pre 2 .

    Some questions regarding the Pre 2:
    Does enabling developer mode work as usual?
    Does connecting via novacom work as usual?
    Can the Classic trial version still be downloaded from AppCatalog (and installed on the Pre 2)?
    Or do you have to install an .ipk (from where do you get it)?
    Will MotionApps be able to change your license to a Pre 2 serial number?

    And: Why didn't Palm/HP simply include the ROM? It doesn't take that much space, does it?
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post
    It works? That's great!

    So now I can buy a Pre 2 .

    Some questions regarding the Pre 2:
    Does enabling developer mode work as usual?
    Does connecting via novacom work as usual?
    Can the Classic trial version still be downloaded from AppCatalog (and installed on the Pre 2)?
    Or do you have to install an .ipk (from where do you get it)?
    Will MotionApps be able to change your license to a Pre 2 serial number?

    And: Why didn't Palm/HP simply include the ROM? It doesn't take that much space, does it?
    Based on a find a few posts up, they removed it because they want MotionApps to include the PalmOS ROM inside the Classic ipk.

    And it does take up a lot of space when you have to include the flash plugin, the graphics for the auto correct, QuickOffice, as well as the auto correct dictionaries (which are bound to be over 1MB for some people, inside a <500MB system partition).

    10MB is quite large when the system has less than 500MB for its own files (not including third party apps and your own files in the USB partition).
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  9. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    #29  
    You can also do directory creation and copying with Internalz.

    That means you can do everything except change permissions.
    ---
    EDIT: More correctly you can set some permissions but not all that you can in Linux. Your can do all permissions in Terminal.

    No need to be a programmer. Just Internals, and if you need certain permission levels, Terminal.
    ---
    I'm all set for webOS 2.0.
    Last edited by TomD; 11/25/2010 at 10:28 AM.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  10. #30  
    If this is all it took, then why did motion apps get all in a tizzy? I makes sense to put the ROM in the Classic .ipk because most users don't care about classic. The ROM was just taking up space.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Non-Programmer Directions
    Nothing required but Novaterm and an "unzip" program! No programming knowledge needed!

    0. Download the webOS Doctor.

    1. Right-click the doctor and open it up with your "unzip" program (WinRar, Archive Manager, whatever).

    2. Open up the "resources" folder

    3. Extract the "webos.jar" file to your Desktop (or preferred folder)

    4. Right-click this file and open it with your "unzip" program

    5. Find the "nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz" and extract that to your Desktop (or preferred folder)

    6. Right-click this file and open it with your "unzip" program

    7. Click on the . folder, then the usr folder, then the lib folder, then the palmos folder, then the rom0 folder and finally we arrive at, ROM.bin. Extract this file to your Desktop (or your preferred folder).

    8. Next, connect your Pre to your PC and click USB mode. Place the ROM.bin file onto your Pre. Get out of USB mode, but leave the Pre connected.

    9. Now, it's time to use Novaterm. Please read here for WebOS Internals instructions: Accessing Linux Using Novaterm - WebOS Internals for your operating system.
    I am using terminal on a pre+


    10. Now that you're sitting at your device's command line, type in the following code, remembering to press enter after each line:

    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod 755 /media/internal/ROM.bin
    ln -s /media/internal/ROM.bin /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin
    I got a reply here of ln: /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin: file exists


    chattr +i /media/internal/ROM.bin
    then i got chattr: inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on /media/internal/ROM.bin

    mount -o remount,ro /

    11. Reboot. Either manually or just type reboot.

    And you're done!
    sooo can anyone enlighten me as to the meaning of those messages
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    If this is all it took, then why did motion apps get all in a tizzy? I makes sense to put the ROM in the Classic .ipk because most users don't care about classic. The ROM was just taking up space.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Because they can't possibly support people manually extracting ROMs from Doctors to drop in. It's against Palm's Terms and Conditions of use.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Because they can't possibly support people manually extracting ROMs from Doctors to drop in. It's against Palm's Terms and Conditions of use.
    But if it was includeded in the .ipk ...

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by afoulds View Post
    I am using terminal on a pre+



    I got a reply here of ln: /usr/lib/palmos/rom0/ROM.bin: file exists



    then i got chattr: inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on /media/internal/ROM.bin


    sooo can anyone enlighten me as to the meaning of those messages

    It means you're following these instructions on a Pre+ when you don't need to because the Pre+ already has the ROM (as evidenced by the message that the file already exists). It's the Pre2/webOS 2.0 that does not.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  15. TimBoch's Avatar
    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    It means you're following these instructions on a Pre+ when you don't need to because the Pre+ already has the ROM (as evidenced by the message that the file already exists). It's the Pre2/webOS 2.0 that does not.
    This makes me have a question about us "older" Verizon Pre+ users. I am still dependant on Classic for some very important programs that the developers have no plans to develop for WebOS.

    Would that mean that the PalmOS ROM will stay right where it is after updating, that even made me laugh, to WebOS2.0? Probably a dumb question, but you know the source.

    Thanks for the help.
    Tim Boche

    Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    It means you're following these instructions on a Pre+ when you don't need to because the Pre+ already has the ROM (as evidenced by the message that the file already exists). It's the Pre2/webOS 2.0 that does not.
    Ok carried away by enthusiam and by misinterpreting an earlier post.
    Do I need to reverse anything that I just did?

    So what we have to do is get the ROM.bin unzipped get a copy of classic on desktop and then wait til we get updated and then follow the post.

    Ha, who is going to be first, we will all be sitting here with blocked pres waiting for someone to give it a go OR get our nice new FREE upgraded version of classic from our new owners, HP.
  17. #37  
    So my recommendation is that you all get the webOS 1.4.5 doctor now so you can get Classic out of it before it goes away with webOS 2.0.
    How?
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBoch View Post
    This makes me have a question about us "older" Verizon Pre+ users. I am still dependant on Classic for some very important programs that the developers have no plans to develop for WebOS.

    Would that mean that the PalmOS ROM will stay right where it is after updating, that even made me laugh, to WebOS2.0? Probably a dumb question, but you know the source.

    Thanks for the help.
    Well, it most probably would not for an OTA and definitely not for a doctor. As arthurthorton notes, it is probable that the pulled ROM.bin would not survive an OTA update (that's why the chattr command is there).

    You may also want to copy the Classics app from your device so you can have it saved on your PC if Palm does pull the app from the catalog. I say this because I had a program that was pulled from the catalog (Digloo, because Digg borked it and still hasn't fixed the problems) and it does not restore after doctoring the device (even though I paid for it).

    Also, afoulds, no need to reverse anything, you didn't really do anything but mount the file system as writable, change the permissions of the extracted ROM, and try to set up a symbolic link, which failed. As for that person, what they really mean is the ROM, Classic is an app that is not in the doctor.

    For getting the Classic app, it is available for free in the app catalog, so you should be able to get it using the ipk fetcher.
    Last edited by malpha; 11/25/2010 at 02:56 PM.
  19. #39  
    For getting the Classic app, it is available for free in the app catalog, so you should be able to get it using the ipk fetcher.
    I googled ipk fetcher just now and on megaupload it was temporarily unavailable. I have classic on my pre+ can I just get it off my phone via usb
  20. #40  
    Thanks all. Downloading the .jar now.
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions