Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    I hope Palm is paying attention to this so they can just include this in their next system update.

@arthurthornton - have you heard from Palm or Motionapps regarding this?
    It took me three tries, but it worked! Thank you!

Don't know what I did wrong the first time, but it was a different size than the final one that worked. Second time I missed a file. But damn if it didn't work and remember everything from before I meta-doctored to 2.1.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    One try!!! Absolutely fantastic!!!! Excellent directions!!! Love it!!! I have my Classic back and its better than ever. Its running blazing fast!!!! Thank you so much!!!!
  4.    #204  
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    I hope Palm is paying attention to this so they can just include this in their next system update.

@arthurthornton - have you heard from Palm or Motionapps regarding this?
    No, I have not heard from either Palm or MotionApps regarding this, except their tweet a couple weeks back saying they would look at the process.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  5.    #205  
    Quote Originally Posted by swissc View Post
    Hi Arthur,
    Hi followed you instructions in post 146, and have successfully installed Palm Classic on my Pre 2.01. I have been using Palm Classic with Ecco Pro using the following modified registry key which has always worked previously. However, this no longer syncs on the Palm Classic on my Pre 2.01. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get this to work on the Pre 2?

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-779853818-1699897239-3753208926-1000\Software\U.S. Robotics\Pilot Desktop\Application0]
    "Creator"=dword:64617465
    "Conduit"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Palm\\ecdatc1.dll"
    "Priority"=dword:00000002
    "Directory"="datebook"
    "Remote0"="DatebookDB"
    "Name"="Calendar Ecco"
    "File0"="datebook.dat"
    "Module"="datebook.dll"
    "Integrate"=dword:00000000

With much appreciation,
    David
    I do not know why you are having issues with synchronization. I would assume there is another thing related to Classic missing from this process that could be responsible, or more likely is that for the sync to work, webOS had to specifically identify itself as being capable of that and the Palm engineers removed the necessary code from webOS for that (and not something that can be dropped back in).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Have you used the Windows Registry changes discussed in the 2 Ecco Pro forums?
    ecco_pro : Ecco Pro Software :: support & extension and eccopro : Ecco Pro

You may need to start from step 1 which requires uninstalling Ecco Pro, etc and then redoing. I have struggled to get my Palm Plus to sync even under 1.4.5. Instead I have synced an old Treo and then copied the database files into Classic - the instructions are in the forum.

There has been discussion over at ecco_pro : Ecco Pro Software :: support & extension about developing a means to sync Ecco to Google. If you have not chimed in over there under "I am a syncer", please do
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have another question. In Classic, when I perform a hard reset, it restarts Java and does not seem to reset classic. Is this expected or have I perhaps done something wrong in the installation?
    so technically Palm can just release this in their update right since they now own the code?

and if Palm wanted to sell it they could?

I really think Palm should look into this. Its basically no effort for them since the work has already been done here.
    Is there any chance that this gets integrated into the meta-doctor upgrade scripts?

[update] I've found out from the IRC channel that the reasons this is not "pre-baked" into the meta-doctor scripts are legal.
    Last edited by Davide-NYC; 03/28/2011 at 06:09 PM.
  10.    #210  
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide-NYC View Post
    Is there any chance that this gets integrated into the meta-doctor upgrade scripts?

[update] I've found out from the IRC channel that the reasons this is not "pre-baked" into the meta-doctor scripts are legal.
    In all honesty, I would like to know what their legality concerns are about this. This is 100% legal, all instructions, etc. It has the exact same legality as the meta doctor process does, because you are not distributing the IPK, simply pulling files and packaging the IPK.
    Arthur Thornton

I did it today (instr. 146 ) and it works fine and quick!
    Thank You all
    Claus
    I'm trying to do this and I'm already having problems. I got to #5, however I do not have the file that you indicated.

Is there an easier way to do this, or are there very simplistic instructions drawn up somewhere? I have spent the last quarter of a century working on the mainframe, not servers and the web. Even though I'm starting to learn all of this web/server/etc stuff now, most of it is still pretty Greek to me. I'd even be willing to pay someone to do it, just so I can get my PalmOS back so that I can run my other apps.
    it loads but im getting a black screen... i can play with preferences and options but no apps show at all. when I close the card it causes a luna restart.

I have packaged the ipk twice, being extremely careful of the file locations. I'm using a Unlocked Pre 2 converted to Sprint, using Sprint webOS 1.4.5 and Unlocked Pre 2 2.0.1 as source files. Ideas?

EDIT: FIXED IT!

Well it appears that winzip is the root of the problems. I couln't get sprint nav or sprint tv into my 2.1 Pre 2, kept getting invalid magic error. Also was having the above results with Classic. Redid it all using winrar and it all worked on the first try!
    Last edited by neit_jnf; 05/06/2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: winzip sucks, winrar wins!
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Has the OP of this been contacted by Palm I wonder...

Classic has been invaluable to me in my practice using my Pre2.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Hello, is there someone here that speaks a bit more english please, and can translate these instructions for the fix to the Classic for me? I'm a mainframer, not a web developer and I really don't know what I should be looking for in the first place. For example, I downloaded the web doctor for 1.4.5, and I have found no ROM.bin file, and it took me awhile to even get to that point. <<removed by staff>> I never did get the blasted thing to sync back to my PC, however it was, and still is, the only tie to my old stuff that I had. Othewise, I'll have to resort to buying an old Centro phone and going backwards. Is there anyone out there that can walk me through this process, please?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/10/2011 at 12:37 AM. Reason: illegal request removed
  16.    #216  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post

Not regarding Classic, but there is an announcement I made today which relates to my final decision to remove support of the Classic workaround: Warning: Exciting Times Ahead
    Arthur Thornton

17.    #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcollins View Post
    Hello, is there someone here that speaks a bit more english please, and can translate these instructions for the fix to the Classic for me? I'm a mainframer, not a web developer and I really don't know what I should be looking for in the first place. For example, I downloaded the web doctor for 1.4.5, and I have found no ROM.bin file, and it took me awhile to even get to that point. (REMOVED FOR BREAKING THREAD RULES). I just want Classic back. I never did get the blasted thing to sync back to my PC, however it was, and still is, the only tie to my old stuff that I had. Othewise, I'll have to resort to buying an old Centro phone and going backwards. Is there anyone out there that can walk me through this process, please?
    First, I'd like to say that all of my instructions were written in English

Second, as I said before, you CANNOT discuss anybody violating the copyrights and patents of Palm and/or MotionApps (by sending the files/created IPK) in this thread.

Third, if you follow the directions in opening up the JAR file you will find the exact file. There is no easier way to write it than to draw it out literally or in a video. If someone is willing to put together a video of how to do this then that would be beneficial to you and others.
    Arthur Thornton

Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Not regarding Classic, but there is an announcement I made today which relates to my final decision to remove support of the Classic workaround: Warning: Exciting Times Ahead
    One for the conspiracy theorists. Palm gives arthurthornton a job to shut him up about keeping Classic working.

BTW Congratulations Arthur, and good luck with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    +1

This is a wonderful new chance. All my best wishes to you, Arthur!
  20.    #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    One for the conspiracy theorists. Palm gives arthurthornton a job to shut him up about keeping Classic working.

Quote Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
    +1

This is a wonderful new chance. All my best wishes to you, Arthur!
    Thanks
    Arthur Thornton

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast