1.    #1  
    I was thinking when I saw that WebOS 2.01 was already being pushed out to the Pre2 and the unlocked phone were already getting it due to it not being carrier supported. Will it be better for HP to sell unlocked phones and bypass carrier support and advertising headaches? I for one would love to get updates as soon as HP pushed them out instead of hitting the update constantly @ 2am! Do you think it's possible for HP to discount the phone enough for people to buy them directly from them instead of carrier? I have used my Sprint spending limit to purchase phone and have my bill adjusted to pay it off in 2-3 billing cycles. If Sprint were to make a deal that spending accounts can (or do they already..idk) also purchase unlocked phones direct from manufacture I'm all in. What do you think??
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    I was thinking when I saw that WebOS 2.01 was already being pushed out to the Pre2 and the unlocked phone were already getting it due to it not being carrier supported. Will it be better for HP to sell unlocked phones and bypass carrier support and advertising headaches? I for one would love to get updates as soon as HP pushed them out instead of hitting the update constantly @ 2am! Do you think it's possible for HP to discount the phone enough for people to buy them directly from them instead of carrier? I have used my Sprint spending limit to purchase phone and have my bill adjusted to pay it off in 2-3 billing cycles. If Sprint were to make a deal that spending accounts can (or do they already..idk) also purchase unlocked phones direct from manufacture I'm all in. What do you think??
    Double edged sword. This works in Europe and Asia, because people are aware of the real cost of the phone. Won't be so hot in North America where people are brainwashed into thinking phone should always be free with an exorbant contract. Also US is still majorly CDMA, where the phones must come from the carriers or they won't accept it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Even Google was unable to pull this off... They tried with the G1, but it just didn't work out in the US.

Besides, you can end up p'ing off the carriers, by directly competing with them, and in the US, they are the key to the market.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Double edged sword. This works in Europe and Asia, because people are aware of the real cost of the phone. Won't be so hot in North America where people are brainwashed into thinking phone should always be free with an exorbant contract. Also US is still majorly CDMA, where the phones must come from the carriers or they won't accept it.
    But if Sprint were to carry any new WebOS phone could you then buy it direct from manufacture?
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'm not sure where this myth has sprung up from but I've seen it mentioned a few times here - yes, here in Europe, most if not all phones are available as unlocked phoned with no contract - however, like the US, the vast majority of smart or premium phones are sold locked, subsided and by carriers. People are just as likely to take out an exorbitant contract because they don't consider the fact that they are actually paying for the phone over the life of the contract. This idea that people are spending £400 or £500 a time on a smart-phone is the reality for only a small percentage.

If people are buying phones outright in europe, it's mainly cheap dumb phones.