1.    #1  
    I started thinking about this when Rahul Sood announced he was leaving HP and thought I'd finally post my thoughts/comments and see what others have to say.

I noticed that in many comments when various Palm WebOS "champions" that went to HP left the company, many commentors saw it as doom and gloom for WebOS. I actually wonder if perhaps it is a good thing. I realize that Rahul, Ben, Dion, and whomever else I left out, were WebOS supporters, but I wonder about the true quality of a software platform that requires a Homebrew community and WebOS Internals to really make it efficient, and especially wonder about the quality of the developers that built and "championed" the software.

"Requires" might be a strong word, but the Homebrew Community and WebOS Internals sure do enhance WebOS significantly, especially with many basic features. If these Palm developers are leaving HP, maybe that isn't a bad thing. Maybe HP is staffing people who can add the basic or at least semi-advanced, functionality to WebOS that it should have.

In my opinion, Palm nearly failed as a business and had to get propped up by HP. If it wasn't for the Homebrew & WebOs Internals apps and patches, I would have left my Pre a long time ago.

I am now considering switching to an EVO, but I'm not exactly jazzed about Android. I'm a Sprint customer, so I'm pretty limited, and no one can beat their plans, so I'm not looking for a new carrier. I get the feeling that Sprint is headed away from WebOS, which sucks. I really like WebOS, but I'm wondering what the future is like for an OS system that requires outside developers for basic enhancements. I don't know if Android has all the basic features built in or if it requires a similar type homebrew community for support. My wife has the Evo, but I don't play with it that much.

I really want to wait until CES and see if Sprint is going to be carrying another Palm device or not. I really don't need a new phone, but I sure do want a new one.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Am I way off base thinking that perhaps the turnover at HP is perhaps a good thing? I perceive it as an opportunity to take WebOS to the next level. I sure don't think HP acquired Palm to "end of life" it (much like Sprint has done to the Pre and essentially WebOS on their platform). How many other Sprint users are waiting until CES? If Sprint isn't carrying the next WebOS device (not referring to the spec bump Pre), are you going to stick with an old Pre or are you switching to another Sprint device or will you leave Sprint to stick with WebOS?

Thanks for reading my ramblings. I'm just curious if there are others with my same mindset out there.
    What do I think of the future of "Webos" - If i could read the future I'd tell you, but since i cant i would say 'Awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgonsoulin View Post
    I started thinking about this when Rahul Sood announced he was leaving HP and thought I'd finally post my thoughts/comments and see what others have to say.

I noticed that in many comments when various Palm WebOS "champions" that went to HP left the company, many commentors saw it as doom and gloom for WebOS. I actually wonder if perhaps it is a good thing. I realize that Rahul, Ben, Dion, and whomever else I left out, were WebOS supporters, but I wonder about the true quality of a software platform that requires a Homebrew community and WebOS Internals to really make it efficient, and especially wonder about the quality of the developers that built and "championed" the software.

"Requires" might be a strong word, but the Homebrew Community and WebOS Internals sure do enhance WebOS significantly, especially with many basic features. If these Palm developers are leaving HP, maybe that isn't a bad thing. Maybe HP is staffing people who can add the basic or at least semi-advanced, functionality to WebOS that it should have.

In my opinion, Palm nearly failed as a business and had to get propped up by HP. If it wasn't for the Homebrew & WebOs Internals apps and patches, I would have left my Pre a long time ago.

I am now considering switching to an EVO, but I'm not exactly jazzed about Android. I'm a Sprint customer, so I'm pretty limited, and no one can beat their plans, so I'm not looking for a new carrier. I get the feeling that Sprint is headed away from WebOS, which sucks. I really like WebOS, but I'm wondering what the future is like for an OS system that requires outside developers for basic enhancements. I don't know if Android has all the basic features built in or if it requires a similar type homebrew community for support. My wife has the Evo, but I don't play with it that much.

I really want to wait until CES and see if Sprint is going to be carrying another Palm device or not. I really don't need a new phone, but I sure do want a new one.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Am I way off base thinking that perhaps the turnover at HP is perhaps a good thing? I perceive it as an opportunity to take WebOS to the next level. I sure don't think HP acquired Palm to "end of life" it (much like Sprint has done to the Pre and essentially WebOS on their platform). How many other Sprint users are waiting until CES? If Sprint isn't carrying the next WebOS device (not referring to the spec bump Pre), are you going to stick with an old Pre or are you switching to another Sprint device or will you leave Sprint to stick with WebOS?

Thanks for reading my ramblings. I'm just curious if there are others with my same mindset out there.
    I have reflected as much in my thread, "Palm Doomed?" And although I still read it to see the newest thoughts, I have used it to mainly get a handle on the situation. I think if carriers think Palm is dead and can't sale -- Palm and WebOS is dead. WebOS will be used, but it won't be successful and HP wasted 1.2 Billion dollars. But, I seriously doubt HP would waste 1.2 Billion bucks. They won't let that happen.

WebOS has a good future if what Ruby said is true. If they have many devices all coming out next year, from small to large form factors. Both with all slab phones to slide out keyboards, then WebOS will be fine. And if HP is smart, and they continue to connect all their products using WebOS -- then we would have nothing to worry about. And the WebOS Developer conference is a good sign that HP does care about WebOS and it's future, and that includes Palm devices.

But they need carriers to believe in their product. People will choose a Windows Phone 7 over a WebOS if the price is right. You don't want that.
    At first, when I say the bleeding of talent from Palm, I was sad. But then I wondered if some of those people will build the better parts of WebOS into the platforms that have a better chance of surving, like Android.

For now, I hope to stick with WebOS, but I'm hoping that it's goodness spreads to the rest of the smartphone world.
  5.    #5  
    Astraith, I read through your posting "Palm Doomed." Quite a mix of those who foresee a bright future and those that see doom and gloom.

I really do like WebOS and I hope that it continues to be enhanced. I actually see the departure of the various Palm execs as a positive step. If they couldn't lead Palm to brighter, successful future, then why have them stick around. What I do on a daily basis is basically that. I look at mergers and acquistions and find out what works and what doesn't.

I'm really curious what is going to come from CES 2011. I think that will have a large impact on the future of WebOS. I don't think Hardware is the issue. Yes, the current available hardware is a bit outdated (save for Pre 2, which is somewhat updated). However, I don't think it would be that difficult to put together newer hardware. I think the key is the OS, as I'm sure most would agree.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    At first, when I say the bleeding of talent from Palm, I was sad. But then I wondered if some of those people will build the better parts of WebOS into the platforms that have a better chance of surving, like Android.
    I had the same thought as you, at first; but then I switched thoughts. Perhaps those people had given as much as they could to WebOS and they couldn't offer much more. That's my point about WebOS Internals & Homebrew. Those developers seem to offer much more functionality than Palm's own developers. Of course, it could be the immediate access to the patches & apps that the homebrew community develops that makes it seem that Palm is lacking in response, since their responses is through upgrades only.

I'm curious whether they are abandoning HP or if HP is pushing them out the door.
    I see it being part of integrated services of HP throughout their product line much like app has done so from PC to phone to tablets.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mgonsoulin View Post
    Astraith, I read through your posting "Palm Doomed." Quite a mix of those who foresee a bright future and those that see doom and gloom.

I really do like WebOS and I hope that it continues to be enhanced. I actually see the departure of the various Palm execs as a positive step. If they couldn't lead Palm to brighter, successful future, then why have them stick around. What I do on a daily basis is basically that. I look at mergers and acquistions and find out what works and what doesn't.

I'm really curious what is going to come from CES 2011. I think that will have a large impact on the future of WebOS. I don't think Hardware is the issue. Yes, the current available hardware is a bit outdated (save for Pre 2, which is somewhat updated). However, I don't think it would be that difficult to put together newer hardware. I think the key is the OS, as I'm sure most would agree.
    Yep, a lot of people think WebOS will fail, others think it wont and a small percent not sure. CES 2011 will determine a lot, which is a scary thought. I hope Palm brings it with all guns a blaze, otherwise Palm is in trouble.

But I truly do enjoy WebOS as well. My sister has a Pixi and she loves it. I am envious because I wanted a Pre went it came out and couldn't get one (I actually was quite active until that point on these forums, then came back ). So I have used it and I can't wait to use 2.0. And the way 2.0 handles Flash is a very smart design. And I am sure there will be even more enhancements that will come along with x.1, x.2 and so on.
    Don’t give up on webOS just yet! It will take time for HP and Palm to re-develop the new path forward and the roadmap, but the results could result in the most effective mobile Operating System ever. Android will take the lead in Mobile OS for some time to come because it is so readily available to so many manufactures and carriers. All the other Operating Systems will slip a bit, but as the next generation of cell phone hardware is introduced we will probably see webOS take a strategic place among Android, BlackBerry, RIM, iPhone, Symbian and Windows Mobile. Only time will tell the outcome.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's not really clear who WebOS is suppose to be aimed at - listening to people here, you'd think it was the enterprise, yet Jon Rubinstein's recent talk suggests that's not actually the case and the development of Tablets for the enterprise is being done by another business unit within HP.

I think at this stage, it's very difficult to work out how successful it will be because it's not clear what the value proposition is and who it's aimed at - it used to be the fat middle, now there is talk of people entering the smartphone marketplace, tomorrow it might be another group entirely.

we will probably see webOS take a strategic place among Android, BlackBerry, RIM, iPhone, Symbian and Windows Mobile.
    I can't see it - I think WebOS will hang on but it's always going to be last.
  11.    #11  
    Sometimes I feel like I need to be talked off the edge, right before I toss my Pre over the edge. I get antsy for a new device & new hardware. Earlier this week, while traveling, my wife and I just couldn't get our schedules worked out so I could video chat with my daughters. Since she already has an EVO, I figured I should just get one as well, just so we can video chat much easier than trying to set up our computers. I travel frequently, but mostly day trips, so it was almost an impulse decision. Hopefully HPalm has something at CES that will feed my appetite for a newer faster phone (and that it appears on the Sprint network). I think that there is a greater chance of Sprint abandoning WebOS than there is of WebOS being end of lifed. I think WebOS has a good future, but HP really needs to bring some good stuff to CES.