1.    #1  
    I don't suppose there's any chance of a soft equivalent of a 5 way nav for navigating around a pre or pixi?

I'm currently stuck (not unhappily, btw) on a Centro for what I consider to be the best keyboard and navigational device. I'm in love with the look of the webOS phones but after playing with them in a store can't deal with not being able to just cursor over somewhere, or press and hold a direction. I don't like the "flick flick flick" approach when going through long lists or pages, and I hate the hit-or-miss approach of trying to point right to where you want the cursor, when all you should have to do is navigate over to it without error.

I'm not saying put the hard buttons back in, but can't soft equivalents work with WebOS? They did it in the classic app, but I'm talking about for the main OS itself, so when you're typing or browsing, you can navigate using either method: flick flick flick (which has its place) or just cursor on over.

My apologies if I'm asking this in the wrong forum. I'm asking here because I feel this should be part of the OS, not a third party add-on.

Thanks!
    PalmPilot Professional > Palm III > Palm V > Sony Clie S300 > Palm m505 > Sony Clie N710C > Sony Clie N760C > Sony Clie T615C > Sony Clie NR70 > Sony Clie TG50 > Handspring Treo 600 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo 700p > Palm Centro
    It will never be part of the OS.

The iphone changed the way that people want to navigate on a mobile OS. The vast majority likes the current method the Pre and iPhone use.

Someone might want to create a third party app that lives in the Nav Bar and has directional buttons on it. But I highly doubt it due to lack of demand.

I would maybe suggest getting a Capacitive touch stylus if you find it difficult to tap the screen where you want to click on something.

Swiping is the new hotness though. You are going to see less and less nav buttons on phones until they are mostly completely gone.

Sorry...
    it could probably be done because there are games like NOVA that have that for navigation. But, it's really hard to control and pointless in a normal application where you can just pinch/zoom/scroll with a finger tip.

My last phone was a centro and I had to turn it on to get some information from it, and I couldn't believe how much I hated trying to navigate after using a Pre since January.

you will pick up the Pre interface in about 15 minutes and never look back.
    Well, contrary to the above, when I'm using the phone, it's typically open with my hand around the keyboard. So the only things I like flicking are gesture-commands, and would really appreciate software keyboard shortcuts. I already installed the ones for the browser and I know when I use Bad Kitty, I could really go for a spacebar to scrolldown patch. Or when you use just type to bring up a contact and you want the number that's not the first one. IDK, if someone made one, I'd use the hell out of it.

And those stupid scroll dials are AWFUL. Dumbest crap to copy from iOS. Luckily, you can use your keyboards on those (like on the web, you press a letter and it moves to the first instance of that letter).
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  5.    #5  
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for "new hotness" if it retains the "old quickness". But it doesn't, so I say implement the hotness and the quickness together. And if you don't want any more buttons, no problem. Use the existing hard keyboard. No need to waste the opportunity. A capacitive touch stylus? I'm talking about the types of links that nobody's finger can hit easily without expanding the page to make it bigger. My point is you shouldn't have to do this just to hit a link.

I like the alternative idea of having the space bar or any of the keys double as directional shortcut buttons. That would work just as well. Again, no one can flick 20 times as fast as they can press and hold a single button or key. You may actually scroll a screen faster by swiping since it's velocity sensitive, but alot more hand movements. So again, why not both?

Some iPhone fans swear that the hard keyboard is going away. I think we agree that that's one of the features that makes a Pre or a Pixi better than an iPhone. Ah, maybe I'm wrong and I'll be a lonely old Centro user saying "these crazy kids and their swipe, swipe, swipe".
    PalmPilot Professional > Palm III > Palm V > Sony Clie S300 > Palm m505 > Sony Clie N710C > Sony Clie N760C > Sony Clie T615C > Sony Clie NR70 > Sony Clie TG50 > Handspring Treo 600 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo 700p > Palm Centro
    I tend to agree that the keyboard should have more functionality of the old 5-way navigation. One of the biggest gripes is the lack of a tab key within the browser. While I love the ability to swipe (it's so ingrained to me I find myself trying to swipe on my wife's iPod Touch) but can see the advantages of the keyboard as well.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    yeah man. I had a Treo and I am 1000% faster with my Pre and swiping.

Sorry to disagree but I just have to. I personally find swiping/pinch zoom, scrolling and clicking on the actual item so much faster than the directional pad.
  8.    #8  
    Wow! 1000% faster? That's pretty impressive! ;-)

Seriously, though, I can't argue with anyone who says they're faster doing it one way over the other. Personally I find the "1000%" in favor of the good old fashioned jumping cursor method for certain operations (not all), not to mention that there are some single-handed operations which aren't even possible without it. You can't "swipe/pinch zoom, scroll and click" with one hand.

To each his own. But why not have the option when you sacrificing nothing? There's a gesture area and a whole keyboard at your disposal. Implementing directional navigation should be easy.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Treo usability was way better than Pre for me, and a lot of that has to do with 5-way vs swipe. To advance a page I have to put my finger on the screen, obscuring what I'm reading? I have to execute a drag operation of some duration rather than just a button tap? I may advance one page or it may be somewhat more or less, it's indefinite? I have to use a second hand? (never been able to swipe with the hand which is cradling the Pre) For repeated page advances, I have to move my finger to the bottom of the page and move it up each time, whereas for the 5-way my thumb is already still resting on the button from the last advance, no movement required from me?

And yeah, links are quite frequently too tiny to finger-tap accurately on this tiny screen.

I'd like to see a Pre3 with that bottom button replaced by a 5-way (with LED as the center).
  10.    #10  
    Precisely. Speed and one-handed operation. You lose these when you lose the nav. I don't care if this is the "new hotness". It's beautiful, like I said, but I still need the fastest, easiest, smartphone that I can operate with one hand if necessary. And the Pre and Pixi simply don't let you do that. Period.
    Well, I mostly operate my Pre with one hand. I only use two hands when I'm typing or playing a game. The screen is small and my hand is small(er, as it's a female hand), so it lines up, I guess.

Anyway, I've downloaded a couple of patches to make this easier:

Hold Tap Context Menu (for email, browser, so you don't have to press the opt-key plus tap or do a meta-tap)
    Multi-Mod (for the browser, adds top/bottom of page shortcuts and line/page up/down shortcuts)

Also, if there are contacts you call quite often, you can give them speed dial keys and then you can dial their number just by pressing the speed dial button and enter. For example, W for work, g for girlfriend, d for dad, etc.

I also have more than three pages to spread apps across that way I don't have to scroll down long pages of apps. And I have so that if you swipe forward on the gesture area, you can pick which page of apps you like to go to.

And when you're swiping up or down, if you press the screen again while it's still sliding up or down, the sliding will stop.

Doesn't alleviate the swiping completely, but lessens some things.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for sharing those utils! I'm pleasantly surprised that you find that you can do most operations with one hand. Great finds! Keep 'em coming and hopefully they'll implement it so that anything can be done easily with one hand like it already can with our now "vintage" phones ;-).