Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    http://m.precentral.net/palm-pre-2-u...ng-300mhz-1ghz
    I appriciate the webos 2.0 on the pre 2 has cpu scaling to save barry life, but I think palm could include a couple more "data on demand" type profile options. I think above everything else, "data on demand" type stuff saves the battery the most. I was making my own ms modes for data on screen state, but I think it'll be more reliable in mode switch 2.0. So I think palm should provide these options natively.

    they should provide a data on demand screenstate options, and another that only uses data when needed for the uber frugal battery saver. To accomplish this, I think webos should take a page from ios' multitasking.

    for instance, I'd be using screen state data, but data would still have to be on in the background for a few tasks. I define those tasks from ios' multitasking:

    (exerpts from Apple announces multitasking for iPhone OS 4 (iPhone 3GS/iPod touch G3 only) | TiPb)
    "Background audio – Allows your app to play audio continuously. So customers can listen to your app while they surf the web, play games, and more.

    Voice over iP – Your VoIP apps can now be even better. Users can now receive VoIP calls and have conversations while using another app. Your users can even receive calls when their phones are locked in their pocket.

    Background location [depending on the gps service, data might needto be on] – Navigation apps can now continue to guide users who are listening to their iPods, or using other apps. iPhone OS 4 also provides a new and battery efficient way to monitor location when users move between cell towers. This is a great way for your social networking apps to keep track of users and their friends’ locations.

    Push notifications – Receive alerts from your remote servers even when your app isn’t running."

    "Task finishing – If your app is in mid-task when your customer leaves it, the app can now keep running to finish the task."

    what I want from a data by screen state option from palm:
    1. Data and wifi on when screen is on
    2. Data off when wifi is then connected
    3. Data and wifi off when screen is off
    4. Screen on settings (wifi replacing data if connected) when screen is off, but if one of the background services described from the above exerpts is happening.



    from the title, I'm in no way suggesting that ios' fast app switching multitasking of apps ui is better than webos cards, because webos trumps ios in that respect. I wanted to use the above services described by apple to show when I wanted my data on. This would be amazing for battery life.
  2. #2  
    I agree on some level > However, webos 2.0 is just the beginning for the new stepping stone.
  3. #3  
    what we need is like a scrollable quick launch bar like apple does
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  4.    #4  
    but that's less quick, isn't it?
  5. #5  
    I like my phone getting my data (messages, email, etc) w/o me asking it, but I agree my phone would use less power if I left it off (:
    <This Page is Blank>
  6.    #6  
    I personally turn the screen on enough that it's almost real time email, but still saving battery
  7. #7  
    Personally, I just close cards that I don't need running anymore. After over-clocking my Pre, the only apps that have any significant load time anymore is Preware and Google Maps.
  8. #8  
    They don't need to cripple webOS' multitasking, they just need to include a larger battery.
  9. #9  
    if yu ask me I'd say takin a page from ios "multi-taskin" would be a downgrade and correct me if I'm wrong but dosnt points 2-3 already happen? (im not sure what you mean on 1 &4 ) I'm almost sure there's at lease an option for that

    edit: after rereadin I agree bakground gps would be nice (tho it wold prolly kill the battery & it should be an option) and ppl around here been talkin abt push since day 1 so yea...but I wouldn't view that's as copyin apple's ios, but more so of an evaluation of webos, it would be like if 1.0 didn't have a music player and they added one in 1.1
    Last edited by mindonmillions08; 11/18/2010 at 05:51 AM.
  10. #10  
    I've found that using Uberkernel with Govnah to set an "ondemand" profile of 250MHz-1Ghz has worked a miracle for battery life.

    Over the weekend I was at a classic car show - phone came off charge at 7:30 a.m. and went back on around 9 p.m every day. Since WiFi wasn't available the 3g/GPRS radio was on all day.

    During the days it collected email from 5 accounts once an hour, received a few calls, sent a few emails, did a bit of web surfing to check some facts and still had around 70% battery at the end of the day.

    The radios are not the problem - the way you use them is
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  11. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    I've found that using Uberkernel with Govnah to set an "ondemand" profile of 250MHz-1Ghz has worked a miracle for battery life.

    Over the weekend I was at a classic car show - phone came off charge at 7:30 a.m. and went back on around 9 p.m every day. Since WiFi wasn't available the 3g/GPRS radio was on all day.

    During the days it collected email from 5 accounts once an hour, received a few calls, sent a few emails, did a bit of web surfing to check some facts and still had around 70% battery at the end of the day.

    The radios are not the problem - the way you use them is
    If I hardly use my phone it makes it all day too.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Personally, I just close cards that I don't need running anymore. After over-clocking my Pre, the only apps that have any significant load time anymore is Preware and Google Maps.

    yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! google maps is much slower than BFG..

    everytime I am just wondering why it is so slow.....
    that ... I must reset my pixi+ ?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mindonmillions08 View Post
    if yu ask me I'd say takin a page from ios "multi-taskin" would be a downgrade and correct me if I'm wrong but dosnt points 2-3 already happen? (im not sure what you mean on 1 &4 ) I'm almost sure there's at lease an option for that

    edit: after rereadin I agree bakground gps would be nice (tho it wold prolly kill the battery & it should be an option) and ppl around here been talkin abt push since day 1 so yea...but I wouldn't view that's as copyin apple's ios, but more so of an evaluation of webos, it would be like if 1.0 didn't have a music player and they added one in 1.1
    the ideas are about how to make your phone continue to be useful if you were to use a screen state data type settings with your phone to save battery. So ios' "multitasking" points that I highlighted are what I'm saying should trigger data on when the screen is off with such settings on. Task finishing: finish loading a page before killing data. Music: continue data is I'm streaming. etc.

    I agree that I just want a bigger battery, but not a bigger phone. And if data by screen state setting were still provided, save even more battery.
  14. #14  
    So what you saying is that WebOS should kill real multitasking in favor of iOS's faux multitasking? No thanks.
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
  15. #15  
    What's the difference between push notifications and webOS notifications? You still get notifications when your app isn't "running", that is, when you don't have a card open for your app. A lot of apps take advantage of this. webOS sets timers when it should check for notifications from a web service. How does iOS do it?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by badhairguy View Post
    So what you saying is that WebOS should kill real multitasking in favor of iOS's faux multitasking? No thanks.
    well I've already explained, and that's not it
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    What's the difference between push notifications and webOS notifications? You still get notifications when your app isn't "running", that is, when you don't have a card open for your app. A lot of apps take advantage of this. webOS sets timers when it should check for notifications from a web service. How does iOS do it?
    push is like the servers check with your webos device when it has something to notify you about. It's so your device doesn't have to, saving battery.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    push is like the servers check with your webos device when it has something to notify you about. It's so your device doesn't have to, saving battery.
    push was supposed to happen with Mojo Messaging Service
  19. #19  
    What does all the stuff about Apple's multitasking have to do with the screenstate options you want? Seriously.

    "Background audio – Allows your app to play audio continuously. So customers can listen to your app while they surf the web, play games, and more.
    Does this.

    Voice over iP – Your VoIP apps can now be even better. Users can now receive VoIP calls and have conversations while using another app. Your users can even receive calls when their phones are locked in their pocket.
    Does this.

    Background location [depending on the gps service, data might needto be on] – Navigation apps can now continue to guide users who are listening to their iPods, or using other apps. iPhone OS 4 also provides a new and battery efficient way to monitor location when users move between cell towers. This is a great way for your social networking apps to keep track of users and their friends’ locations.
    Does this. Idk about the new and battery efficient way, but everything else...does it.

    Push notifications – Receive alerts from your remote servers even when your app isn’t running."
    Does it with email. The only other app I have polling for data is a twitter app that does it three times an hour.

    "Task finishing – If your app is in mid-task when your customer leaves it, the app can now keep running to finish the task."
    Does this.

    So now on to the stuff you really want that has zip to do with Apple's multi-tasking.

    1. Data and wifi on when screen is on
    2. Data off when wifi is then connected
    3. Data and wifi off when screen is off
    4. Screen on settings (wifi replacing data if connected) when screen is off, but if one of the background services described from the above exerpts is happening.
    1. Default
    2. I give you this one, which is why I have a patch for that.
    3. Put the phone in Airplane Mode before you turn it off, but I understand that you want it automatic. You can also uncheck the keep WiFi alive option.
    4. This is dumb. So you want to the wifi to stay on if a background process is happening, but off when it isn't. But you also want push notifications to tell you something is happening, which will require data. Further if you uncheck the keep wifi alive option, the wifi will turn off when it isn't being used anymore.

    Now the hilarious thing is that you want your wifi to be on only when the above tasks are happening which means you want your phone to be on during the following times:

    1. When listening to music: So you can surf the web at the same time
    2. When surfing the web
    3. When using the nav
    4. When you're making a VoIP call (the data shuts off when making a regular call when you're on a CDMA network anyway)
    5. When an app might need an update from the server
    6. When you're using an app in case you move from one app to another

    In other words...ALL THE TIME.
    screwdestiny
    PSN • Twitter • Last.FM
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    the ideas are about how to make your phone continue to be useful if you were to use a screen state data type settings with your phone to save battery. So ios' "multitasking" points that I highlighted are what I'm saying should trigger data on when the screen is off with such settings on. Task finishing: finish loading a page before killing data. Music: continue data is I'm streaming. etc.

    I agree that I just want a bigger battery, but not a bigger phone. And if data by screen state setting were still provided, save even more battery.
    Then I have no clue what your talkin about, just about everything yu said webos already does but then the whole screen state data thing throws me off track...and then yu said somethin about .. Ahh idk I'm all confused.. Yu go from talkin about multi tasking to data to screen states so your tellin me what you want but I'm only understanding bits and pieces because it sounds too me like webos already does these things and your just want then done a different way..i think...idk but every1 agrees buy a bigger battery and all your problem are solved

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta

Posting Permissions