Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think if HP delievers correctly they're will be no need to. If executed right, it will actually hender the playbook as a copy cat of the real thing, a more of a knockoff then the real thing. Which with how HP designs there laptops and computers, with the specs involved I dont see this holding any weight to the PalmPad.
    it dose look alot like it tho!
    isnt that like intellectual property?
    like when facebook got sued?
    holy ****, saw this playboo for the first time.
    they could not have stolen more.

or maybe they could, the forgotten the palm logo
    how does one patent a 'concept' or 'design'? I can get a patent for a unique technique used to create my UI...but how do I patent the UI itself? I don't think RIM will be in any trouble...unless they used similar technologies...

what hp-palm should do though is try and get BBM and mail on board..that would rock (but obviously-this will never happen)!
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    how does one patent a 'concept' or 'design'? I can get a patent for a unique technique used to create my UI...but how do I patent the UI itself? I don't think RIM will be in any trouble...unless they used similar technologies...

what hp-palm should do though is try and get BBM and mail on board..that would rock (but obviously-this will never happen)!
    "Look and feel". It's been done.
    attempts to 'own' a user interface have always been done through copyright laws. That was considered the closest, comparing menus on a screen to printed words as expression of ideas.

the most well known case like ths was when Lotus sued Borland for copying the menu structure and macro commands of Lotus 1-2-3 for DOS in Borland's Quattro Pro.

Lotus lost the suit, and that precedent set the bar very high for others to try it again.

You are corrct that a patent would only apply to how something was created or things like a mechanical operation.

copyright is used to protect compiled programs, prevent certain types of reverse engineering, support license agreements (you never actually own th program), and such.

soon we will see Android using a card metaphor, since the people behind it work for Google.

I don't think there is any merit to the idea that Palm could sue BB or Google for using a swiping gesture to close a program, anymore than apple could sue microsoft for the use of overlapping windows to distinguish separate programs. IMHO.
    I say HP should come strong with their tablet and new devices, and while doing their marketing campaign maybe jab at RIM as being a copy cat in one of their ads if needed, after showing off the PalmPad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12