Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems alot of people here are expecting some kind of big announcement from hp/palm regarding the next webos phones at CES, about a month and a half. I just don't know how realistic that is.

In the past only 2 flagship devises have been announce in januray, the first iPhone and the palm pre, and both phones were released mid summer about 5-6 months later. With regards to the pre with was a bg mistake as by the time it came out most the hype had died down, and while it still had a somewhat successful launch, it was nothing compared to how the phone would have been received had it launched sooner.

Also most flagship phone are released between June - november (iPhone, driod, evo, driod x, driod 2, g1, g2, ect. ) I think we are more likely to see a palm pad announcement at CES with maybe a multiple carrier availablity of the pre 2 and a smartphone announcement late spring (April- may) with a launch about a month later. This just seems like a more logical timeline when regarding most smartphone release schedules, although an hp exec did say something about how it's never a bad time to release a great smartphone.

What do you guys think?
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    I agree, I think I should have used my yearly upgrade on an epic that way when the new webOS device hits I could still get it later in the year.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I'm a launch-day Pre owner (same device, no exchanges). Had a Treo 700p before that. I love Palm and I badly want to see them succeed. I hate the thought of Apple/Android being the only feature-rich smartphone operating systems. I too have been holding out hope that we will see a reasonably good leap forward with hardware at CES.

However, with such a drought of news in the last few months, and nothing but news of more high ranking people leaving Palm and HP, I'm really starting to ask myself what I need to see come out of CES to continue to support HPalm. Until recently, just the thought of possibly having some great new hardware at CES is what has been keeping my hopes up. But now that I think about it more, great new hardware would be 'great' but its not enough, anymore, when I really think if what I would like to see/have. Its more than just hardware. Its also about a variety of useful and quality applications. You know the ones - the ones our friends with iPhone and/or Android bombard us with each week. The ones where the developers have no reason (for now anyway) to even consider re-working their fun/useful/exciting apps to operate on WebOS. I'm NOT talking about games either! I rarely play games. I want UTILITY!! This thing is supposed to help make my life easier. Games just waste time (but sometimes I need to waste time so I have a few on there for those rare moments).

So .. what IF we got great hardware at CES? That's not going to make good apps show up all of a sudden. I'm worried that the failure of WebOS to get decent mark share since June 2009 may have tainted the words "Palm" and "WebOS" enough that its too difficult to get people to actually come BUY the hardware anymore (even if it gets good reviews). Their tainted by all the bad word already on the street and a lack of anyone they know that has anything other than iPhone and Android, and sings their praises until they make THAT purchase. Would a great piece of hardware (at CES) be "enough" at this point? WebOS is fun to use, but really - I have maybe 2 dozen apps on my Pre (only a handful of which I fiddle with). None are super exciting. New fancy hardware just means I'll be able to start them up quicker, and maybe I won't be tossing the device on the chair every time I swipe to scroll something and the phone is too busy doing something else and feels its more important for it to finishing doing "whatever" before it responds to MY input. Yeah, new hardware would be great (and I hope it comes!) but if I buy it, it'll be new hardware with the same 2 dozen apps of mediocre use. If new hardware hits a homerun, how much market share does it take to get devs to cave in and port their stuff to HPalm? How long beyond launch does that take? 6 months? A year? Two? I'm not sure how much longer I want to wait for a COMBINATION of good hardware AND useful applications - when it may already be here but stamped with a different name on it (albeit slightly limited in comparison to WebOS but I can adjust if the benefits outweigh a couple of limitations).

PPPPPPPAAAAAAALLLLLLMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    if there is no news I shall keep my pre plus till my upgrade date in March, then look for something else...
    Fact: stingray, mantaray, etc.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Newness Developments apps:

Then WP7 will be my next leap. After giving it a shot the other day I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it, sans multi-tasking and all. Its just a nice interface in a different way than webOS. Simple, clean, non-Android-esque.

I'm still thinking Palm will pull through but the landscape has changed dramatically in the last 6 months.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Fact: stingray, mantaray, etc.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta

Could be virtual machines.
    HP to launch new webOS phones in early 2011 | Reuters

there will be announcements, unless hp as a company implodes next month or the world blows up. thats about 6 more weeks. if you can't wait that long i don't know what to tell you. i don't think hp will make the same mistake as palm of waiting too long after an announcement to deliver a product out the door.

if you absolutely must have certain apps that are on other platforms right this minute, then jump ship already. no point in waiting. if and/or when the apps you need come on webos, then maybe you will come back. for me, i find the choice of apps more than sufficient for my purposes.

i do feel that the next several months will determine whether webos will survive and thrive as a contender in the market or relegated to permanent niche status. it goes without saying that 2011 will be an absolutely critical year for hp in the smartphone arena. only time will tell.
    Last edited by kumquatsrus; 11/16/2010 at 02:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumquatsrus View Post
    HP to launch new webOS phones in early 2011 | Reuters

there will be announcements, unless hp as a company implodes next month or the world blows up. thats about 6 more weeks. if you can't wait that long i don't know what to tell you. i don't think hp will make the same mistake as palm of waiting too long after an announcement to deliver a product out the door.
    Unfortunately, it's not up to them. At least not entirely. As we're seeing with the Pre 2, if carriers are not interested, then HP Palm phones are relegated to soft "press release" launches that barely register half a world away.

HP can announce whatever they want just like they can announce a Pre 2 or PalmPad. If the carriers don't buy in fully, you get nonsense like the Verizon "launch" of the Pre 2, a day shrouded in mystery apparently.

i do feel that the next several months will determine whether webos will survive and thrive as a contender in the market or relegated to permanent niche status. it goes without saying that 2011 will be an absolutely critical year for hp in the smartphone arena. only time will tell.
    It's critical right now, actually. Again, each misstep like the Pre 2 just presents another hurdle, bad impression or setback that future WebOS iterations will have to work that much harder to overcome. Also troubling is the MIA status of Leo Apotheker. Beyond the silly hijinks with Oracle, this guy needs to make a definitive statement on his intentions for WebOS in the smartphone market to assuage fears. We've seen with the Android eStation tablet/printer and the Slate what happens when the winds change at HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not up to them. At least not entirely. As we're seeing with the Pre 2, if carriers are not interested, then HP Palm phones are relegated to soft "press release" launches that barely register half a world away.
    If HP announces a phone with specs and features to excite the masses, the carriers will make it available. The problem with the Pre 2 is that it looks so much like the Pre and doesn't have any whizbang features like a front facing camera or a built-in oven, so the carriers were understantably a little nervous about it not selling. Additionally, it's very likely that the issue with Sprint has nothing to do with the Pre 2 per se, it's more that there's no 4G availability, so they didn't want it.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    If there's no new phone at CES I'll probably cry in a corner, man up, then drink until I pass out.
    I'm not so sure the right question is "What if there are no devices announced?" but:

"What kind of devices will be announced?"

Because that will dictate what people will do next.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I'm not so sure the right question is "What if there are no devices announced?" but:

"What kind of devices will be announced?"

Because that will dictate what people will do next.
    Exactly!

I'm on vzw with an upgrade ready, and it's gunna take one hell of a phone to keep me on webos. I have been a huge palm supporter for so long now, and feel I have been burned by them. 2.0 is a complete disappointment IMO, and with even more key people leaving for greener pastures, I have little faith.

I really love the wp7 interface, I am pretty sure I will eventually go there, but am waiting until the platform matures before I move over. Until then, depending on what happens at ces, I will probably get an iPhone assuming it comes to verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    If HP announces a phone with specs and features to excite the masses, the carriers will make it available. The problem with the Pre 2 is that it looks so much like the Pre and doesn't have any whizbang features like a front facing camera or a built-in oven, so the carriers were understantably a little nervous about it not selling.
    Really? The carriers are stocking up on midrange Android handsets that have none of those features, a crappier processor than the Pre 2, and similarly low resolution display from manufacturers with far less "scale" or "leverage" than HP.

So if LG can get Sprint to carry the Optimus S, Samsung can get them to sell the Intercept and Sanyo can get them to sell the Zio, why do you think Palm has to ask us to beg Sprint to carry the Pre 2?

Think about it. It aint "lack of whizbang".

Additionally, it's very likely that the issue with Sprint has nothing to do with the Pre 2 per se, it's more that there's no 4G availability, so they didn't want it.
    See above. These excuses don't wash. The Pre 2 is lacking a few things these other devices have, but you won't find the missing items on a spec sheet.
    I agree with Mikah, if optimus can sell 1 million phones in 40 days there is a market even for original PRE (considering optimus is not top of the line and not very fast) let alone PLus or Pre2. If HP can launch PRE plus as low end with a low price they should be able to sell a lot of them (with webOS 2.0 of course). Maybe they wanted a top tier price with a phone taht is not really top tier. However, palm Pre was only $149.99 and not 199.99 like other top tier devices despite it being the phone with the best specs when it launched. Is HP expecting more money?
    I imagine that most people will go about their lives as normal if Palm didn't release any new phones. It's not like God was announcing a new way to breathe....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I agree with Mikah, if optimus can sell 1 million phones in 40 days there is a market even for original PRE (considering optimus is not top of the line and not very fast) let alone PLus or Pre2. If HP can launch PRE plus as low end with a low price they should be able to sell a lot of them (with webOS 2.0 of course). Maybe they wanted a top tier price with a phone taht is not really top tier. However, palm Pre was only $149.99 and not 199.99 like other top tier devices despite it being the phone with the best specs when it launched. Is HP expecting more money?
    Leaving the aforementioned intangibles aside, the LG Optimus S has the added advantages of 1) Being super reasonably priced on every carrier and even unlocked 2) Being available on a wide variety of carriers around the world and now in the US 3)Existing in a popular form factor...pretty much the most popular one around these days.

Oh, and 4) Being released from a manufacturer determined to succeed and compete specifically in the smartphone market.
    Whatever the case, i'd be more likely to buy in if i knew what was going on. We don't know what HP is really doing here.

I still feel until webOS 2 was ready to go out to the Pre's, then don't release it yet. The Pre 2 wasn't worthy of being the webOS 2 phone. Especially with the hush hush launch.

Are devs supposed to make webOS 2 apps now? There's hardly any webOS 2 devices out there. Again, you make a phone that devs want. The pre 2 as a dev phone is a poor idea (which is only speculation). Google has it right that you leave the best for devs. Nexus one was great at the time. Nexus S is coming soon.

Still waiting on that slab phone from Palm/HP. Interesting that a portrait kb (a palm staple) and small screen automatically mean low end.
    my evo will be here tomorrow,,when there is a new device that is equal or better that is running webos I will be first inline.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    At the Web 2.0 Summit, Jon Rubenstein said 2011 will definitely see many new HP devices, including some smartphones, that's in plural, so something is definitely coming. I'm not worried whether they announce something as CES or not, as HP will have to push forward, regardless of announcements. They were probably waiting to build a larger portfolio than just one or two devices, so they can truly be aggressive on deployment, and be able to release one after the other as they see fit. When people see something that is bleeding edge, they'll come, regardless of the OS, and I'm pretty sure HP knows that.

http://www.precentral.net/jon-rubens...-products-2011
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast