View Poll Results: Should Palm/HP not wait and release webos 2.0 bugs and all?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I would accept an early release to keep me from leaving.

42 34.71%
  • No. We can wait, let release when ready.

65 53.72%
  • I'm done waiting, I'm considering switching to Android/iPhone

14 11.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    The last few days have been very depressing seeing post after post of long time pre users jumping ship.... I too have been very tempted, a lot of us are at a point where we are starting to lose loyalty to the brand.

I know, and I can speak for many others that 2.0 is badly needed for existing devices and it would immediatley reinvigorate our phones and keep us away from Android/iPhone.

Please Hurry!! Even an official date for an OTA would bring hope.
    Last edited by migs; 11/16/2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Seems like something you'll be better off sending to Palm feedback.
    I never had loyalty to the brand to begin with!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    For me it isn't about loyalty. I have tried the EVO and EPIC and after trying both came back to my Pre. Not because the hardware is better or because of brand/carrier loyalty but because WebOS is better than anything else out there for the way I use my phone.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I guess patience is hard for some. I know HP Palm has kept us waiting. I'm waitng and hope like I have been. My palm pre minus does the job and seems just as good as the latest Blackberry. imy phone does the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I never had loyalty to the brand to begin with!
    same here,,i liked the phone,,but now I want a new one.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    You'd think that after all this time people would be used to Palm's slow pace by now. I'd rather they cook the new update properly before shipping it because it's even worse when you ship something thats clearly not ready. That said the Pre isn't my primary devices which is probably why i'm lax about the whole thing.

As for people jumping ship, unless you get a Nexus One (or iPhone) then prepare to be equally as frustrated. You will wait months for any android update, if you're a Samsung device owner it's even worse...just be prepared to buy a new device altogether.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint pre, just Flash 10.1 alone would be like a free upgrade... and at least give me the feeling of a new phone
    Quote Originally Posted by paulint View Post
    I guess patience is hard for some. I know HP Palm has kept us waiting. I'm waitng and hope like I have been. My palm pre minus does the job and seems just as good as the latest Blackberry. imy phone does the job.
    Agreed, I am going to go into my local Sprint Store and see if they will replace my current refurb with a new one to help make sure I get to the next WebOS device.
    I try to keep my devices until they outlive their usefulness. I didn't dump my i500 until the Pre was released because nothing on the market felt like an upgrade until then. I will treat this Pre the same way. Lots of cool stuff going on with many of the other phones, but none would be an upgrade in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    same here,,i liked the phone,,but now I want a new one.
    Yep! Time to move on to another toy.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    palm being slow is a problem.

but android being quick is a problem also. The rate these manufacturers are churning out android phones, the device you purchase today will feel outdated in a matter of months. Already there is talk of a samsung galaxy 2. The S series was just released in the US a couple of months ago. The Droid 2 has already been EOL'd by vzw after 3 months! It would drive me insane knowing that a device I just purchased is gonna be outdated in no time.

I think blackberry and iphone devices have a happy medium. Iphones come out once a yr. Blackberry has tiered phones at any given time on any given carrier, and usually last 6 months to a yr before an upgrade is available, and even then, it's a minor spec update.

I'm hoping hp speeds things up but at a similar pace as RIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    palm being slow is a problem.

but android being quick is a problem also. The rate these manufacturers are churning out android phones, the device you purchase today will feel outdated in a matter of months. Already there is talk of a samsung galaxy 2. The S series was just released in the US a couple of months ago. The Droid 2 has already been EOL'd by vzw after 3 months!
    Agreed! Not to mention, since there are so many varieties of Android phones out there, no cohesive place for community support really exists. It is all so device specific. I registered at a number of Android communities when I was trying out the EVO and EPIC and unlike PreCentral, I couldn't find anyone who could or would answer questions. There is a lot of do-it yourself type stuff available but it is risky. I am sure a significant number of those leaving will be back even before there is a new super device. WebOS is just too good to not come back to.
    yeah, I have tried to get support for my wife's now outdated droid 2 (she only got the phone in september!), and it's not that easy. I remember when I had a winmo phone, it was the same problem...i had a samsung saga...not only did no one else have the phone, but getting support was limited to 1-2 small websites, and none of them were hacker sites. Iphone only has one device yearly, and basically all are
    running the same OS. It's easy to get support that way...also apple customer service is top notch. We webOS users have basically three devices, pre, pre
    plus, and pixi, and the first two are very similar. It's easy to get support.

I hope when/if hp comes out with many device form factors, that they keep fragmentation to a limit.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    i've decided to move on, too and pick up the EVO
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    yeah, I have tried to get support for my wife's now outdated droid 2 (she only got the phone in september!), and it's not that easy. I remember when I had a winmo phone, it was the same problem...i had a samsung saga...not only did no one else have the phone, but getting support was limited to 1-2 small websites, and none of them were hacker sites. Iphone only has one device yearly, and basically all are
    running the same OS. It's easy to get support that way...also apple customer service is top notch. We webOS users have basically three devices, pre, pre
    plus, and pixi, and the first two are very similar. It's easy to get support.

I hope when/if hp comes out with many device form factors, that they keep fragmentation to a limit.
    I think they will. Even though the Pixi is different there are only a few homebrew things that aren't completely cross compatible. Two of my kids have Pixi's and apart from Overclocking there isn't anything I have configured differently on their phones than my Pre.

From the articles I have seen so far, it looks like WebOS 2.0 is designed for multiple devices so it should work the same as we are accustomed to now, which means almost completely unified homebrew support with only subtle nuances.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I just feel that releasing 2.0 earlier than they had planned can actually affect palm pre's survival and now is the time wait any longer and there might not be any users left...
    we all know how many people would go nuts if the OTA update didn't go well, or if it introduced new bugs.

software is better when it isn't realesed before it's ready.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Agreed! Not to mention, since there are so many varieties of Android phones out there, no cohesive place for community support really exists. It is all so device specific. I registered at a number of Android communities when I was trying out the EVO and EPIC and unlike PreCentral, I couldn't find anyone who could or would answer questions. There is a lot of do-it yourself type stuff available but it is risky. I am sure a significant number of those leaving will be back even before there is a new super device. WebOS is just too good to not come back to.
    yes I experience this as well. Nobody was willing to help me figure anything out about my android phone I had for a few weeks, and made me miss this site horribly.
    I'm on Verizon, so I've only had 1.45 for a short time. To be honest, i wouldn't have been "itching" for 2.0 if they hadn't teased it already. I get the original Sprint people have very legitimate hardware gripes, but I think Palm has been pretty good with rolling out the updates IMHO.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast