Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I love the passion the webOS community has for the product and the vision many have for what it can be. I have a question though.

If Palm was not in the desperate situation they were (possible bankruptcy) would they have left this avenue of openness, well open? When the HP stamp is truly placed on the product(s) do you think much of what is now available and open will be taken away?
    yes they would. They started webOS with a fresh round of cash and the opportunity to be profitable.

this is a good time for all that community passion to to get everyone to donate to the webOS Internals web-a-thon fundraiser.
    Quote Originally Posted by skutcka View Post

If Palm was not in the desperate situation they were (possible bankruptcy) would they have left this avenue of openness, well open? When the HP stamp is truly placed on the product(s) do you think much of what is now available and open will be taken away?

I've been thinking about this same thing a lot lately. Stamping out Classic (even though I have never used it) has me a little bit worried. I'm still content with my Pre- because of the ways I can alter it so easily. My patience is currently greatly outweighing my hardware envy, but if I couldn't do the things that I can now there'd be nothing left to keep me from jumping ship. That's my first mention of said activity on these forums too.

I don't have much of an answer for you. But I'll surely be keeping my eyes open...

EDIT: We do still have Ruby in there!
    If you ask me, webOS was intended to be tinkered with by the community from the start. Palm was pretty smart to set up their software in a way where it's almost impossible to brick a webOS device.

This community and webOS internals are Hpalm's base, and if HP is smart, they won't upset their base. I predict that as long as hombrew devs keep things legal (which webOS internals takes very seriously), Hpalm will quietly support them.

@ psychnaut, I understand the argument your making with classic, but IMO it's apples and oranges. They have to draw a line somewhere with legacy stuff. While it will upset users who still use palm os apps, it had to come sooner or later. I never purchased classic, but I did use the 7day trial. The apps I used on it worked, but it could be downright frustrating at times.
    From Handspring through Palm, it has been a great adventure and always had the openness. While the sales have not always been massive, the handset's, have been always very open community. And the developers have done some incredible things. I am very thankful for our community, and have tried to contribute when I could. I was a Palm OS user, and although a small niche still needs Classic, I think the majority don't.
    Spouse uses PalmOS still but hope to change that soon.

I honestly hope that HP releases a got-to-have phone soon (beyond the Pre 2)soon.
    The passionate Palm user community is a result of the openness and inventiveness of the developers of PalmOS and webOS. The ability to develop applications that can reside on a hand held device was monumental in galvanizing the user community into an enthusiastic group of developers and super users.

I feel that as webOS and Palm get absorbed deeper into HP some of that openness and creativity will get choked out by corporate over think and we will lose much of that community involvement.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    If you ask me, webOS was intended to be tinkered with by the community from the start. Palm was pretty smart to set up their software in a way where it's almost impossible to brick a webOS device.

This community and webOS internals are Hpalm's base, and if HP is smart, they won't upset their base. I predict that as long as hombrew devs keep things legal (which webOS internals takes very seriously), Hpalm will quietly support them.

@ psychnaut, I understand the argument your making with classic, but IMO it's apples and oranges. They have to draw a line somewhere with legacy stuff. While it will upset users who still use palm os apps, it had to come sooner or later. I never purchased classic, but I did use the 7day trial. The apps I used on it worked, but it could be downright frustrating at times.
    GarrettQ, I have to disagree with the highlighted statement. this Community might have been Palm's base. HP has distribution channels and product forms we have not even thought of for the OS and I'm not sure the success or failure of the bigger picture will depend on us. Seeing as they are not making webOS available to anyone (aka android) it seems like this openness can continue, unless it begins to cause problems down the road with other products. I hope not, but I'm curious.