1.    #1  
    We all know that the Exhibition feature will be released in a future OTA update, after webOS 2.0. And so far, all we really know is that it'll provide a way for applications to be visible while on the touchstone. Hopefully, it'll be a little more robust than just "launch an app while on the touchstone", which can already be done with Mode Switcher.

Will Exhibition possibly have these features? :

1. will it really be limited to the touchstone only? duuumb...
    2. maybe make it accessible with a nice system wide gesture?
    3. ability to run multiple exhibition apps/widgets at once?

I'm only speculating here but it seems to me that Exhibition might be Palm's answer to widgets? If it's just a way to launch apps while on the touchstone, why would it be delayed when it seems like such a simple feature? I'm theorizing that it will actually be a robust series of APIs for building widgets, otherwise, the delay just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyone else have any ideas or thoughts on what exhibition mode might end up being like?

other links and sources:
    Derek's precentral article on Exhibition
    Palms features list for webOS 2.0
    I defiantly think it would be neat if it replaced the lock screen, so you wouldn't always have to unlock the phone to get the information you want.
    I think the “No Auto-Off While Charging” patch combined with "launch an app while on the touchstone" in "Mode Switcher" application already does this.
    Maybe I don’t understand the function of Exhibition.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I think the “No Auto-Off While Charging” patch combined with "launch an app while on the touchstone" in "Mode Switcher" application already does this.
    Maybe I don’t understand the function of Exhibition.
    That's exactly why I started this thread. Exhibition must be something greater than what it seems because the proposed functionality is already possible.

I'd like to see the community brainstorm and discuss what exactly exhibition will end up being.
    My initial impression is that only one app would be able to run - but that app might have been built to be a front end for other applications ...
    Its not just notification-like slices of information if that is what you are wondering.

It will take up the entire real estate of the screen when the device is on your touchstone.

So here are some ideas:

-A weather Exhibition that takes up the whole screen when its on the touchstone and shows a full screen image that co-relates to the weather in real time. If its rainy, your touchstone image is of a rainy marsh. If its sunny out, the picture is a sunny meadow. If its night, its a night scene.

-Picture slideshow while your phone is on the touchstone. Now your Pre is another digital picture frame on your desk at work.

-A sexy analog clock.

-a mood response unit. The color changes on screen due to the sound and intonation of your voice (would need Mic API)

-A realtime stocks analysis report. Shows stocks in realtime.

Just some things Exhibition could be used for.

I highly suspect that the new devices (maybe not Pre 2 but the ones after) will come with a Touchstone as standard hardware out of the box.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Its not just notification-like slices of information if that is what you are wondering.

It will take up the entire real estate of the screen when the device is on your touchstone.

So here are some ideas:

-A weather Exhibition that takes up the whole screen when its on the touchstone and shows a full screen image that co-relates to the weather in real time. If its rainy, your touchstone image is of a rainy marsh. If its sunny out, the picture is a sunny meadow. If its night, its a night scene.

-Picture slideshow while your phone is on the touchstone. Now your Pre is another digital picture frame on your desk at work.

-A sexy analog clock.

-a mood response unit. The color changes on screen due to the sound and intonation of your voice (would need Mic API)

-A realtime stocks analysis report. Shows stocks in realtime.

Just some things Exhibition could be used for.

I highly suspect that the new devices (maybe not Pre 2 but the ones after) will come with a Touchstone as standard hardware out of the box.
    Thanks for this post. These are all good ideas. Although, all of them are already possible except the one regarding the mic api.

I just want to re-interate that I feel if exhibition is limited to the touchstone only, it really won't be all that innovative. I guess it would still be cool to have an "exhibition settings" app that allows you more fine-tuned control over what's displayed on your touchstone. I just really want all of this to also be accessible when no touchstone is available.
    I use “No Auto-Off While Charging” patch combined with the alternate analog clock all the time when resting my Pre Plus on the touchstone. I also have started using LCARS Launcher to keep all my applications at a touch while on the touchstone.

Once again - Maybe I don’t understand the function of Exhibition. Can someone enlighten me?
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I hope (and think) it will be more than a glorified mode switcher. I hope they are taking their time developing it so it can off a lot more than that.

My Themes:CLICK HERE