1.    #1  
    Folks pretty much every forum on this board has at least one rant about the loss of Classic. Over at the App request board is the answer. Keeping the ROM was hamstringing the operating system and it had to go.

The real fault of all of this lies with the developers that have been listening to the iPhone ******* and shunning webOS. Its time to start hitting them. An email campaign was what brought QuickOffice into the fold. They've committed to webOS. Now its time to work harder to get DDH and IAMBIC to come to the bright side. Send them emails. Send them snail mails. Just like was done with Quickoffice it can be done with the others.

Meanwhile start thinking out of the box. Try jVault as a temporary alternative to HandBase. Try the Google alternatives to word processing. Look at the patches and homebrews and think of ways to replace what is being lost.

Yes i know for some of you it just won't work. Understood. You might have to move on. But for many you might even find it actually works better.

Good luck! I haven't started Classic in a couple months. It wont' be missed.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Classic doesn't hurt webOS development though. Nobody is developing software for PalmOS because it runs on top of webOS -- it's all legacy stuff with no native webOS equivalents. All Classic does is provide a bridge from PalmOS to webOS.

You could make the argument that "well, we need to convince the developers of these PalmOS apps to target webOS" but people have tried that and it doesn't work; these developers aren't interested in supporting webOS. So now we have a situation where we don't have native apps and we can't even emulate mission critical equivalents anymore.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    Folks pretty much every forum on this board has at least one rant about the loss of Classic. Over at the App request board is the answer. Keeping the ROM was hamstringing the operating system and it had to go.

The real fault of all of this lies with the developers that have been listening to the iPhone ******* and shunning webOS. Its time to start hitting them. An email campaign was what brought QuickOffice into the fold. They've committed to webOS. Now its time to work harder to get DDH and IAMBIC to come to the bright side. Send them emails. Send them snail mails. Just like was done with Quickoffice it can be done with the others.

Meanwhile start thinking out of the box. Try jVault as a temporary alternative to HandBase. Try the Google alternatives to word processing. Look at the patches and homebrews and think of ways to replace what is being lost.

Yes i know for some of you it just won't work. Understood. You might have to move on. But for many you might even find it actually works better.

Palm shouldn't renege on agreements to deveopers or customers! If Classic was to have a one year lifespan that should have been made clear. Many legacy apps do not have webos versions yet.

+1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  5.    #5  
    good grief they censored the word that stars with fan???? Lol that's nutz.
  6. JKM
    ... I haven't started Classic in a couple months. It wont' be missed.
    I use it every day! And I will miss it. (I soon will miss WebOS, too )

I still don't understand why Classic should hurt current development.
    There are so few new applications simply because other smartphones are selling better
    and developers choose to develop for those other platforms because they can make more money with them.
    If the WebOS devices were more popular, then we would have more applications for them.

And canceling Classic does NOT make the devices more popular, on the contrary...
  7.    #7  
    Classic doesn't hurt "current development". It limits the growth of the Operating System itself. As the astute coder in one of the other threads pointed out, there's only so much memory available for the OS, particularly in the original Pre. Backward compatibility is great so long as it doesn't hamper forward growth.
    The real solution for HP is to commission the development of certain "mission critical" apps in the modern world rather than continuing to support legacy apps. From all of the threads on these pages, almost all users would be happy with:

1. A full solution office application (cominFor me, since I am not fearful of the cloud the only thing that was really missing was the databaseg soon in the form of QuickOffice apparently).
    2. A replacement for Handbase (jVault has promise if the author should decide to enhance it to include more database like features).
    3. A non-cloud desktop based synchronization option of the four basic PIM applications into one desktop application.

Yes there are others but these seem to be the "big 3".

Since QuickOffice has already committed, some form of "insurance" to them, like perhaps making it part of the initial package for newly purchased Pre's like Palm did before with Documents To Go is the answer.

For items 2 and 3, either purchase rights to one of the major packages and port it over "in house" or just contract with a developer directly to do it. Item 3 is a bit tricky because of the restrictions on access to the "synergy" data, so maybe they just need to do it totally in house so the package can actually get "down in the weeds" and get the access it needs.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    I don't know why we should blame developers for not making software for a platform that, a year after arrival, still doesn't provide a means for them to port there code; especially when the small market guarantees they won't get return on their investment.

Blame palm for not having Hybrid Apps sooner, and for not positioning there hardware so that it could be successful.

I believe that when WebOS 2.0 comes out, there will be diminished need for an app like Classic, because devs will finally be able to make those kinds of apps for WebOS. Now the question is will they? If so when? Will enough people still care to warrant the envestment?
    Yes there are others but these seem to be the "big 3".
    For me it's

Epocrates
    iSilo
    Skyscape

and to a lesser extent:

SolFree
    Bejeweled

Already have plenty of time-wasting webOS games could easily do without the last two.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    For me it's

Epocrates
    iSilo
    Skyscape

and to a lesser extent:

SolFree
    Bejeweled

Already have plenty of time-wasting webOS games could easily do without the last two.
    I found out yesterday that Epocrates has an Android app.
    You know that there IS an epocrates app in the catalog, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by txba539 View Post
    You know that there IS an epocrates app in the catalog, right?
    It is a beta and lacks many of the features the former Palm OS version had.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)