Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We are a pretty powerful community for smartphones, one of the most passionate and driven, if not the most passionate.

WebOS is great, but it is lacking in the big-name apps.

Lets get a list going of every big-name app we want to see on WebOS, and then we can organize petitions to HP to pay the developers to get these apps on WebOS, and also petition the developers that we want these apps.

I will start off the list with the big name apps I want to see on WebOS.

(Sidenote: it doesnt matter if the API's arent out yet to make these apps possible on WebOS, hopefully this will push HP and Palm to release these API's)

Apps I want to see:

Shazam App
    A professional GPS company App (Tom Tom, Garmin, whoever)
    Official Twitter App
    Official Myspace App
    Amazon Kindle App
    Real-time photo object recognition App
    Real-time Visual Yelp App (point the camera at stores and their info comes up)
    Official Netflix App

Please add the list of what you want below.

I will try my best to organize petitions after we have made a list.

Thanks
    netflix
    hulu
    IheartRadio
    kindle
    comcast netfinity streaming
    at&t Uverse streaming
    rhapsody
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    What I'm missing more than anything is Audible for audio books... Audible says it's up to HP/Palm. Huh?
    The problem is, the webOS SDK doesn't allow for 2/3 of those applications.
  5.    #5  
    I know that. But I am hoping that if we make it known to HP that we really want these apps, that it will push them to make a newer SDK faster with those features.

Plus if HP pays or gets high end developers to make these apps, they can work with them to give them the features and API's they need.

Remember, Palm worked along side with the creaters of Yelp and other app makers even before the first DK released, and again with Gameloft and EA before the PDK was available.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  6.    #6  
    anyone else? common, iphone has 120,000 apps, this is the best we can come up with??
    Slingplayer
    Glympse
    Exchange Tasks (with proper functionality)
    Google Maps (on par with other OS's)
    Navigation App
    Blockbuster Online
    Compass BBVA Online Banking
    Official Netflix - would be useful
    Hulu and or Hulu Plus

To be honest, I can't think of anything else that I'm missing. I guess my expectations are lower then most people or I'm too busy to see the what other platforms have that we simply don't. Not sure really, but I suspect as soon as the APIs open up with Audio and Video input...we'll find more options available on other platforms.

Either way, keep the list coming, Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Official Netflix - would be useful
    Hulu and or Hulu Plus

To be honest, I can't think of anything else that I'm missing. I guess my expectations are lower then most people or I'm too busy to see the what other platforms have that we simply don't. Not sure really, but I suspect as soon as the APIs open up with Audio and Video input...we'll find more options available on other platforms.

Either way, keep the list coming, Sorli...
    Or maybe it's because the gap isn't as large as it's made to seem. Gimmick apps are great but they're just that, gimmicks. I've polled iPhone users on apps like "Shazam" & "bump" and guess wha? They were used to show off at first and rarely used again.

Same goes for the Droid folk with "goggles" and the like. Now they use the hell out of GNav and with good reason but I'm on Sprint so my SNav works perfectly. Sure more api's are needed, but not for gimmicks.

(that and we do have equivalents for a lot of those mentioned.)
  10.    #10  
    These are all great suggestions.

I guess a lot of the 120,000 apps on the iphone are crap, ebooks, and small very specific apps that only a couple people need.

Honestly I like Bump though, I am adding it to the list

Bump.

There its added.
    Epocrates (full version)
    Uptodate (medical reference)
    Medscape app (medical reference)

Sporting news (for basketball and football too)
    CBS/ESPN/Yahoo fantasy sports App

Quickoffice (like sooner rather than later)

Mint.com or similar financial app

Citibank, Chase, TD Bank app

Barnes and noble nook reader
    Amazon Kindle

NFL app (come on vzw, please bring this to webOS already)
    MLB and NFL app

Shazam
    Ebay
    Amazon store
    Paypal
    Kayak
    Realtor.com app

Kik messenger
    Netflix
    Blockbuster

GPS app (garmin anyone?)

Nutsie (in development)

Google Voice app
    Youtube
    Yahoo!
    MLB Gameday

That is all. For now. Yahoo would be nice so I could navigate sports, finance, news, ect.
    in no particular order

ESPN Sportscenter
    ESPN Fantasy
    Sky Sports
    Yahoo fantasy Sports
    Mint.com
    Fios
    U-verse
    Time Warner remote DVR
    Comcast remote DVR
    Fidelity
    Etrade
    CNBC
    Yahoo Finance
    Google Finance
    TD Ameritrade
    Shazam
    Ebay
    Amazon.com
    Netflix (with video streaming)
    Garmin
    Youtube (with full features)
    Adobe Photoshop express
    Epicurious
    IMDB
    CNN,
    MSNBC,
    ABC,
    NBC,
    CBS
    stream to me

i'm tired. that's all i can think of a the moment.
    @rmausser

Great post, but lets do it right! and get the job done. I say we a make new threads for each app, and post the contact info for it. that way its just one click or call away for all the precentral members to give em hell :-)

kinda like this post, that I just posted: http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...71#post2755971

I also want:
    US Bank
    ESPN
    Kinoma
    Pocket Tunes
    Bejewled 2
    Etrade
    Google Voice
    Gmail
    Slingbox
    Amazon

but lets focus all our power on one devs at a time, we should even elect a day in the week for all the form members to get together and do it... say, Mondays! every monday we should have a new dev to go after :-)
    iSilo
    Skyscape apps (Archimedes, etc)
    ePocrates (full version)
    Document editing!!
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  16.    #16  
    Well that is a good approach and half of the battle.

I think we should do 3 things

1) whittle down the list with a vote for the top 10 or 20.

2) Post a petition to HP to contact all these app makers to pay them to make apps or persuade them in some way.

3) Then letter bomb each individual app maker as welll like you had mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by The Juan Juice View Post
    @rmausser

Great post, but lets do it right! and get the job done. I say we a make new threads for each app, and post the contact info for it. that way its just one click or call away for all the precentral members to give em hell :-)

kinda like this post, that I just posted: http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...71#post2755971

I also want:
    US Bank
    ESPN
    Kinoma
    Pocket Tunes
    Bejewled 2
    Etrade
    Google Voice
    Gmail
    Slingbox
    Amazon

but lets focus all our power on one devs at a time, we should even elect a day in the week for all the form members to get together and do it... say, Mondays! every monday we should have a new dev to go after :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    These are all great suggestions.

I guess a lot of the 120,000 apps on the iphone are crap, ebooks, and small very specific apps that only a couple people need.

Honestly I like Bump though, I am adding it to the list

Bump.

There its added.
    Bump does sound interesting and yes I could see using it.

Facetime - may be interesting with new hardware and would be a great option and help extend webOS market to interfacing designed and open-sourced by the Apple. I could see using it with my wife or the right people. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Well that is a good approach and half of the battle.

I think we should do 3 things

1) whittle down the list with a vote for the top 10 or 20.

2) Post a petition to HP to contact all these app makers to pay them to make apps or persuade them in some way.

3) Then letter bomb each individual app maker as welll like you had mentioned.
    Are you assuming HP has no clue people want these kind of apps? That HP doesn't realize they need to pay up (and get webOS ready) to make this stuff happen?

They know.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Are you assuming HP has no clue people want these kind of apps? That HP doesn't realize they need to pay up (and get webOS ready) to make this stuff happen?

They know.
    Knowing and having a representation of people stating in ink "we want these apps" are two different things in the buisness world.

Pretend you are someone from Palm pitching to the CEO of HP that HP needs to pay developers to make apps on WebOS in order for it to succeed.

Take 1:

"we need more apps and you guys need to pay for it because I say so"

Take 2:

"we need more apps and you guys need to pay for their development because of these statistics showing that apps sell hardware, and the high demand for them shown through our customer feedback (petitioning)"

Which do you think is more likely to gain traction?
    I need SONOS!! I almost broke down and bought an IPAD just for this app. If you don't know what it is, here's a link Sonos - Controller for iPad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast