Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    People didn't want a Netflix streaming app until Netflix released one for the iPhone. Furthermore, Netflix will not release to any platform that doesn't do DRM the way the studios want it done and I doubt webOS provides enough security for Netflix to make an app for it. This will not change without an OS modification. The reason why Netflix is on WP7 is because Netflix and Microsoft are thick as blood (Microsoft Silverlight, enough said), let's not pretend to be shocked and cry about it.

MyQ is an excellent Netflix manager and the only "feature" it lacks is mobile streaming, which didn't debut until very recently. You'll notice that it has every feature that a Netflix queue manager is missing because a Netflix queue manager does not exist. And trust, they want one. Every other comment on the streaming app is WHY DOESN'T IT MANAGE MY QUEUE, TOO! because everyone is too cheap to pay for a decent queue manager and the free ones suck.

Hulu Plus, stop. Who here is paying for Hulu Plus or would if it was on webOS? Knowing that it costs $9.99 a month with ads and half the content on there will not stream on anything other than a computer because of licensing agreements? Which is probably why the price is rumored to be dropping down to $4.99.

Why do you want an official Twitter app? Pick any of the many apps on webOS, pretty much every one is destined to be better than the official one in every way except the way I suppose matters most and that's they aren't free.

With regards to the Amazon website/app, more companies are speculating moving to a web app to reach multiple platforms. I think this is stupid, but that's what it is. And do you know why? Because they can't be assed to develop for the little guys. And Palm is not going to stop being a little guy anytime soon. So if it bothers you that much, you know what to do. Not to rip on this thread, but honestly, let's face reality. At this point, you either need to accept you're on a novelty OS or just get an iPhone.
    Last edited by malpha; 11/13/2010 at 10:04 PM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  2.    #42  
    I hope in no way we offend the independent developers for WebOS, who make third party alternatives to the official apps that are found on 'other' platforms.

Without you guys, WebOS would be so much less useful, you have come through when the big guys looked us over.

So no disrespect.
    I don't know, people wanted netflix streaming on a phone as soon as they offered streaming to tvs. Demand for it didn't start after it was offered on an iphone. Demand caused it to be offered on an iphone. One, i don't use netflix anymore, i used it to illustrate the point that solution offered is not a full solution as it lacks a key feature. I don't have TD Ameritrade either. But i do have Fidelity and i'd like an app so i can trade on on the go. And if the DRM issue is a palm problem which it very well could be i've never heard that mentioned as the reason there's no Netflix app. I've heard the drm issue just not that it's a problem specifically for webos that palm has to fix. And if it had people would be perfectly right to complain to palm and say, "Hey this is important to us. Address it please." But i see nothing wrong with people organizing to write to get major companies to make apps they want. the point remains if what you want is streaming then an app that only has que management is not a solution. if what you need is citibank, well fargo isn't a solution. But if third party developers can't provide the app, like a bank app, or the app functionality, like video streaming, the consumer demands the consumer should lobby directly at the source. i never use hulu so i can't comment. But it think this is a perfectly proactive idea.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 11/14/2010 at 08:17 PM.
    big name apps will come when palm starts to sell lots of phones. that's not going to happen until they give up on the pre. most adults don't want a little plastic phone that looks like a toy.

webos rocks, but what's the point. watch the people in a phone store. i've seen them walk by the pre without turning it on to experience webos. i would guess most of those people don't care for the way it looks and wont bother to look at what's inside.
    squareup. credit card app

or any credit card app for that matter

merchant ware

i dont care just one
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Dang, some of you guys list like 20 apps you want. I use maybe 5 apps on a regular bases. There isn't enough hours in a day to use 20 different ones. lol

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Dang, some of you guys list like 20 apps you want. I use maybe 5 apps on a regular bases. There isn't enough hours in a day to use 20 different ones. lol

ET
    i personally didn't list only apps i want. I listed apps that i think would attract "the fat middle" of consumers to webs. I'd list some different ones if it was just for me but many probably aren't things a ton of people wanted so i didn't mention them.
    All I want is a Miso app and a BBM-like one, like Cnedtd or WhatsApp
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    All I want is a Miso app and a BBM-like one, like Cnedtd or WhatsApp
    WebOS has a bunch of BBM apps. They are so awesome, they work with computers too! Someone can be on the computer and can text you for free while you are on your phone and vice versa. OR, they can be on their phone too and can text you for free, and it doesnt matter what phone they are using!

Its called Google Talk, Yahoo and AOL.

BBM is a scam. My buddies dad works for RIM in their Global Sales department, and he even admitted it to me. Its nothing but exclusive Google Talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    squareup. credit card app

or any credit card app for that matter

merchant ware

i dont care just one
    Uh, Intuits GoPayment has been in the app catalog for like 1.5 years now.

Mobile Credit Card Processing made easy with Intuit GoPayment
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    WebOS has a bunch of BBM apps. They are so awesome, they work with computers too! Someone can be on the computer and can text you for free while you are on your phone and vice versa. OR, they can be on their phone too and can text you for free, and it doesnt matter what phone they are using!

Its called Google Talk, Yahoo and AOL.

BBM is a scam. My buddies dad works for RIM in their Global Sales department, and he even admitted it to me. Its nothing but exclusive Google Talk.
    Most of my friends use WLM, which, oh surprise, is not included in Synergy. With the Synergy API now open, I hope devs bring it to webOS.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Most of my friends use WLM, which, oh surprise, is not included in Synergy. With the Synergy API now open, I hope devs bring it to webOS.
    This is due to the way that WLM polls devices or how the server is set up or something. Because of it, it is a HUGE battery killer.

You can enable WLM with the Messaging Plugin in Synergy already, I do use it, but even with a 1400mAh battery it just kills battery life.

Maybe if Palm actually went ahead with their Mojo Messaging service, your WLM could reside on their Mojo server, and Mojo could then push notify you the IM, saving battery due to constant polling.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    These are not solutions to the problem. the point isn't to have alternatives or almost as good products like netflix managers that lack key features. the point is to have the actual product with the key features.

Like Clearcheckbook app is worthless if your account is at Mint.com. And even if it can the question will be does it have all the features available. Like the Netflix que managers. fine that they manage ques but Netflix streaming is the major reason people want an app. The company is basically becoming a streaming company anyways and even the new windows 7 mobile app has streaming but not que management yet which is an indication of the features importance.
    Bank of America and Well Fargo apps are useless if you bank at citibank, have a Chase Manhattan Bank visa card and a 401k through TD Ameritrade. And even then it's still an issue of features. does the third party app just give you a balance or can you pay bills, transfer money, can you trade stocks, etc. So i think though your alternatives are fine they aren't solutions in some of the cases.

The Amazon website may be just as good as an app except you'd probably have to enter your log in information everytime. And if you have to use the browser, well any smartphone has that so why not just get one that has an app and a browser? So i don't see saying well just use the browser as a selling point.

But the general point applies to the nfl app, sporting news, and i'm sure many others. The point isn't to have marginally as good solutions or alternatives especially when people need and want the specific app solution.
    You don't get out much. Check the other OS apps you mentioned above and see what they actually do. One app above even allows you to take a pic of any check and deposit right from your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    I don't know, people wanted netflix streaming on a phone as soon as they offered streaming to tvs. Demand for it didn't start after it was offered on an iphone. Demand caused it to be offered on an iphone. ...snip
    Where do you get your Netflix demand figures from? I have been using Netflix on a phone since 2007. If I am not mistaken, it came to the BB in 2009 before it was available to the iPhone 3g and 3gs in 2009. Not to mention it was on a few other phone models before the iPhone. And if you check Apple sites, you will see not many people post about Slinging on the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    anyone else? common, iphone has 120,000 apps, this is the best we can come up with??
    They had a 120,000 sometime in 2009. It is now over 300,000.
    You just gotta rub rmausser's wounds with salt, huh? lol

iPhone have over 300,000 apps, but really how much of them are worthy to keep on your phone for over 6 months?
    Quote Originally Posted by GridIron21 View Post
    You just gotta rub rmausser's wounds with salt, huh? lol

iPhone have over 300,000 apps, but really how much of them are worthy to keep on your phone for over 6 months?
    I hate the idea that having a large selection of apps to choose from is a bad thing. The iPhone having over 300,000 apps just means the 4 or 5 you really want (which, of course, are different from one person to the next) are most likely available.
  17.    #57  
    its not that 300,000 apps is a bad thing, its just a silly "go to" figure that people who like to shove their iphones up their bum and set it to vibrate because they love them so much always quote.

So many of those apps are garbage and its an international figure that counts many apps over again.

Quantity doesnt equal quality, but I will admit there are a few good quality iphone apps that I would enjoy seeing on WebOS.
    I think it's a perfectly valid figure to consider for anyone who is looking to buy a smartphone. What "300,000" says is "we probably have whatever type of app you're looking for no matter how esoteric it is."
  19.    #59  
    annnnyways.....

I am busy but on friday I will look at this discussion and then open a poll for the top 10 out of every app that is listed here.

So if you want an app to be in the poll, please say so before friday.

Then after the poll is through (probably another week) I will compile some sort of petition to HP, and also a list of how to contact the developer for these apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    You don't get out much. Check the other OS apps you mentioned above and see what they actually do. One app above even allows you to take a pic of any check and deposit right from your phone.
    What are you talking about. How is what you said relevant to the point that if i have a mint.com account a, what is it, clearcheckbook app isn't a solution? How is what you said relevant to the point that if a person has 401k at TD Ameritrade having a Bank of America app does not help that person? You obvi Alternatives are fine but often people don't need just an alternative they need the a specific app. The point isn't about any of those specific apps. It's that responding to an app request with, another app that doesn't provide the specific functionality is not a solution anymore then if people early on had responded to the outcry for a facebook app by saying, "but there's a linkedin app." That doesn't help you access facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Where do you get your Netflix demand figures from? I have been using Netflix on a phone since 2007. If I am not mistaken, it came to the BB in 2009 before it was available to the iPhone 3g and 3gs in 2009. Not to mention it was on a few other phone models before the iPhone. And if you check Apple sites, you will see not many people post about Slinging on the iPhone.
    Again, i don't understand what you're talking about. The discussion was about netflix streaming not merely netflix using on a phone. Using could just be streaming or managing cues. But you don't specificy which so i have no clue what point you're trying to make. Regardless, The guy said nobody wanted netflix streaming to a phone until it came to iphone. so by you're recollection 2009. Well i think netflix offered Roku streaming before that and people wanted streaming to phones then. Hell they got streaming live tv in Japan. The fact that it ain't on iphone now doesn't mean i don't want it. but i don't see how whatever point you where trying to make either supports or rebuts my discussion. Regardless, i don't see why so called pre-users are so are so against having all the app options other platforms have. The O.P. has a good idea. If you want more apps organize. Obviously some like it the way it is with no apps.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast