Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    OK, this list of apps is nice. But the real question is can Palm/HP WebOS 2.0 support the architecture necessary for protected media distribution? I seem to recall that Audible did not pursue the PalmPre platform because the firmware would not be updated to handle their technology requirements. I am sure there are other providers that feel the same way. As it is, I am downloading audio books from my library and they have gone with Overdrive's product. Another that I can transfer my borrowed books to the iPod, but not to my WebOS device. It is my hope that HP will influence the market such these DRM's styled issues will be solved for WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Knowing and having a representation of people stating in ink "we want these apps" are two different things in the buisness world.

Pretend you are someone from Palm pitching to the CEO of HP that HP needs to pay developers to make apps on WebOS in order for it to succeed.

Take 1:

"we need more apps and you guys need to pay for it because I say so"

Take 2:

"we need more apps and you guys need to pay for their development because of these statistics showing that apps sell hardware, and the high demand for them shown through our customer feedback (petitioning)"

Which do you think is more likely to gain traction?
    If the CEO of HP needs that much convincing of something this obvious then HP is in trouble. If HP is serious about tablets, then i'm sure they're already doing this.
    Mint.com
    Chase.com (want the ability to deposit checks)
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Personally, the big-name app I want is Facebook. The Palm-written one is nice looking and functional, but as a 3rd party app, it misses a lot of my friends' status updates (for contacts who do not allow apps to access photos, we don't see any updates that incl photos). Being first party apps, the iPhone and Android versions ignore that privacy setting, allowing you to see a complete news feed rather than a truncated one.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Official Google Buzz app (and/or Google Buzz integrated elsewhere, like into Google Maps).

I'm probably the only one who wants this, but I replaced facebook with it so I want it! I want it now!

And Mint.com app.
    MLB GameDay!!!
  7.    #27  
    These are all cool thanks.

I am busy moving but I will still try to organize first a poll, and then a petition for the top 10.

For the others that dont make the top 10 we should still provide links to each developer so people can make their voices heard independently.

Also, maybe we can post it in the Developer forums and other Palm Developer areas....if we cant get an official app built maybe some Dev's would be interested in making Unofficial versions...its better than nothing.

*EDIT*

also I have noticed that people have mentioned apps like Skype, Nutsie and QuickOffice editing...we are all aware that those are coming eventually, so they will be omitted for obvious reasons.
    I'd suggest a stickied thread. With the top post being a constantly updated post of like 50 apps. i dont' see a point in limiting it to ten. obviously at a point it can get unwieldy but i think 10 is aiming low when all your asking people to do is click a link or fill out a request form. but i'd suggest with each app and the approprate request link next to it in a big list so everyone can go to the top thread and click the request link or email address for link to feedback page.

like hypothetically (the links below are fake by the way):

espn link
    mint.com link email
    yahoo fantasy link customer feedback page

maybe even date the later ones like say updated then add new ones so that you have like "then next hot property" on their. or maybe just add them too the list. i don't know. just brain storming.
    @emausser

All sounds good, as long as we do something.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    These are all cool thanks.

I am busy moving but I will still try to organize first a poll, and then a petition for the top 10.

For the others that dont make the top 10 we should still provide links to each developer so people can make their voices heard independently.

Also, maybe we can post it in the Developer forums and other Palm Developer areas....if we cant get an official app built maybe some Dev's would be interested in making Unofficial versions...its better than nothing.

*EDIT*

also I have noticed that people have mentioned apps like Skype, Nutsie and QuickOffice editing...we are all aware that those are coming eventually, so they will be omitted for obvious reasons.
    Re: Skype: Perhaps a re-word would help: support for other message services (ie: Skype, MSN) for those not on Verizon. This might be a 3rd-party thing like IMessenger or whatever it's called.

Thanks for starting this thread!
    We are a pretty powerful community for smartphones, one of the most passionate and driven, if not the most passionate.

WebOS is great, but it is lacking in the big-name apps.

Lets get a list going of every big-name app we want to see on WebOS, and then we can organize petitions to HP to pay the developers to get these apps on WebOS, and also petition the developers that we want these apps.

I will start off the list with the big name apps I want to see on WebOS.

(Sidenote: it doesnt matter if the API's arent out yet to make these apps possible on WebOS, hopefully this will push HP and Palm to release these API's)

Apps I want to see:

Shazam App
    A professional GPS company App (Tom Tom, Garmin, whoever)
    Official Twitter App
    Official Myspace App
    Amazon Kindle App
    Real-time photo object recognition App
    Real-time Visual Yelp App (point the camera at stores and their info comes up)
    Official Netflix App

Please add the list of what you want below.

I will try my best to organize petitions after we have made a list.

Thanks
    Have you checked out OfferEye for webOS? It does a pretty good job identifying objects then showing info about them, places to buy it, etc...

I just snapped a pic of a generic bottle of ibuprofen and it spit back wikipedia article about ibuprofen, places to buy it online and some other medical site about it.

Check it out. It works most of the time for me.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Real sat-nav apps.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Have you checked out OfferEye for webOS? It does a pretty good job identifying objects then showing info about them, places to buy it, etc...

I just snapped a pic of a generic bottle of ibuprofen and it spit back wikipedia article about ibuprofen, places to buy it online and some other medical site about it.

Check it out. It works most of the time for me.
    I own Offer Eye.

Its good, but I would like a real-time one, where images show up overlayed over the camera image next to the object.

I know its not possible without the Camera API, but heres hoping some day.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If the CEO of HP needs that much convincing of something this obvious then HP is in trouble. If HP is serious about tablets, then i'm sure they're already doing this.
    HP doesn't exactly have the greatest recent track record of CEOs. i wouldn't remotely put it passed them to just not get it. Besides, the fact they they think printer OS's are a big deal kinda makes me think they are as smart as the guys pushing 3D tvs.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    these are all great suggestions, I think:

Sportacular

Words with Friends

We need more cross-platform games like Words with Friends to bridge the gap and lower the borders between ios, android, and webos...also the point has been made...but...

NETFLIX, HULU, NETFLIX, HULU...oh, and maybe netflix?
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    also, i think some time of super awesom terrific fancy media player that supports multiple video formats is a must...
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Epocrates (full version).....Have Epocrates
    Uptodate (medical reference)
    Medscape app (medical reference)
    .....Not the last two but at least 8 other medical apps.

Sporting news (for basketball and football too) ......XXXX Live apps (Football, Baseball, etc)

CBS/ESPN/Yahoo fantasy sports App

Quickoffice (like sooner rather than later)..... (Reader in 2.0, writing coming)

Mint.com or similar financial app......Clearcheckbook app, about as close as it gets.

Citibank, Chase, TD Bank app.....We have Wells Fargo, Bank of America, etc.

Barnes and noble nook reader.....We have KOBO (which is Borders Books)
    Amazon Kindle

NFL app (come on vzw, please bring this to webOS already).....(Sprint has one, and there's Football Live

MLB and NFL app....MLB Live, Football Live

Shazam
    Ebay....we have Auction Mate
    Amazon store.....webkit site works awesome, damn near an app
    Paypal
    Kayak
    Realtor.com app

Kik messenger
    Netflix....We have 3-4 queue management apps (no streaming yet)
    Blockbuster

GPS app (garmin anyone?).....Many carriers have GPS apps, but not all so ok

Nutsie (in development)

Google Voice app (in development)
    Youtube
    See above
    I have Auction Mate and it works great.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
    I need SONOS!! I almost broke down and bought an IPAD just for this app. If you don't know what it is, here's a link Sonos - Controller for iPad
    No offense but this is a very small niche app. While I wouldn't personally use a number of the other apps already listed, I can at least see them being popular across a broad group of people. This app would cater to a very small audience. I would hope it wouldn't make a Top 20 list, when the goal is to attract customers to webos. That is in no way saying Sonos isn't a quality program.

JMO
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post

Mint.com or similar financial app......Clearcheckbook app, about as close as it gets.

Citibank, Chase, TD Bank app.....We have Wells Fargo, Bank of America, etc.

Amazon store.....webkit site works awesome, damn near an app

Netflix....We have 3-4 queue management apps (no streaming yet)
    Blockbuster
    These are not solutions to the problem. the point isn't to have alternatives or almost as good products like netflix managers that lack key features. the point is to have the actual product with the key features.

Like Clearcheckbook app is worthless if your account is at Mint.com. And even if it can the question will be does it have all the features available. Like the Netflix que managers. fine that they manage ques but Netflix streaming is the major reason people want an app. The company is basically becoming a streaming company anyways and even the new windows 7 mobile app has streaming but not que management yet which is an indication of the features importance.
    Bank of America and Well Fargo apps are useless if you bank at citibank, have a Chase Manhattan Bank visa card and a 401k through TD Ameritrade. And even then it's still an issue of features. does the third party app just give you a balance or can you pay bills, transfer money, can you trade stocks, etc. So i think though your alternatives are fine they aren't solutions in some of the cases.

The Amazon website may be just as good as an app except you'd probably have to enter your log in information everytime. And if you have to use the browser, well any smartphone has that so why not just get one that has an app and a browser? So i don't see saying well just use the browser as a selling point.

But the general point applies to the nfl app, sporting news, and i'm sure many others. The point isn't to have marginally as good solutions or alternatives especially when people need and want the specific app solution.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast