Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I might be jumping the gun here, but to me it makes sense because of this:

Palm was making WebOS 2.0 before the acquisition by HP, so imo, WebOS 2.5 is going to have all the features that are being implemented by the 200+ new HP employees working at Palm.

In my opinion, thats when we will see a lot of new features. It has been said that while 2.0 is a great new OS in terms of the overall picture, it still is lacking in features: hardly any of the apps were actually updated in any way.

2.0 is the new framework, and 2.5 (or whatever the number will be) will showcase the new features.

So this is what I am looking forward to in WebOS 2.5:

-Camera and Mic API (if they arent in 2.0 already)
    -FULL GPU Acceleration for Luna!
    -Voice commands and voice recognition
    -Voice to Text message
    -Mojo Push Notifications service
    -Wifi File Transfer from PC
    -Better GPS app (maybe not even Google Maps) with Street View, Turn by Turn navigation etc.
    -Better Music app (ala Music Remix 2.0) with Nutsie integration
    -Hidden Widgets (none of that "all over my screen like a fly on a windshield" Android crap)
    -Skype Video chat (for some newer devices )
    -Newer SDK with Flash/Adobe AIR app support.
    -Better Web Browser support (updated WebKit)
    -Updated email app (ala Email Megamix)
    -Updated Calendar app (ala UberCalendar) with agenda view.
    -720P recording and Zoom in the camera
    -Updated PDF app that actually works.
    -Updated Youtube app with login.
    -More video and audio codec support
    -Ability to try apps for 24 hours with refund
    -Save/Restore like app or update to Palm Profile so more things are saved.
    -Animated Backgrounds
    -Internalz like file manager app.
    -Mode Switcher like automation app.
    -Graffiti stylus recognition input

I know its a lot to ask for by 2.5 but a) HP needs to play catchup and b) a lot of these things are already there and available, having been created by the WebOS Internals team. HP should just donate $$ each time they scoop up a feature and implement it into the stock WebOS.

Is there anything you want to come out in WebOS 2.5?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Ok, so I might be jumping the gun here, but to me it makes sense because of this:

Palm was making WebOS 2.0 before the acquisition by HP, so imo, WebOS 2.5 is going to have all the features that are being implemented by the 200+ new HP employees working at Palm.

In my opinion, thats when we will see a lot of new features. It has been said that while 2.0 is a great new OS in terms of the overall picture, it still is lacking in features: hardly any of the apps were actually updated in any way.

2.0 is the new framework, and 2.5 (or whatever the number will be) will showcase the new features.

So this is what I am looking forward to in WebOS 2.5:

-Voice to Text message
    -Better GPS app (maybe not even Google Maps) with Street View, Turn by Turn navigation etc.
    -Hidden Widgets (none of that "all over my screen like a fly on a windshield" Android crap)
    -Animated Backgrounds

I know its a lot to ask for by 2.5 but a) HP needs to play catchup and b) a lot of these things are already there and available, having been created by the WebOS Internals team. HP should just donate $$ each time they scoop up a feature and implement it into the stock WebOS.

Is there anything you want to come out in WebOS 2.5?
    For all of this functionality in a version update may not be realistic but since when has wishing been realistic. This sounds more like a spec for HP webOS 3.0 or HP webOS 2.1 thru 2.5. You mentioned Skype for newer devices. How about other features to leverage new hardware such as: HDMI resolution, memory expansion, compass, IR remote controls, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth sync, etc...
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I've actually been thinking the same thing. HP have made a strategic decision with webOS and I take their 'doubling down' comment seriously, especially since they started pumping people into the Palm division.

But look at how quietly they're pushing webOS 2.0 and the Pre 2 out the door. I've said it before somewhere, and other people have as well - they're the final whimper of the original Palm roadmap. Something big is coming up when HP Palm begins to roll out their new Portfolio, big enough to make them reckon that hushing 2.0 up now will give them a better chance to captivate audiences and gain marketshare with the next release.
    If they released 2.0 under much fanfare now, the public would not be as impressed with another event three months later - people would probably think it's a minor update and not care, especially since HP would then seem to inflationarily dispense launch events.

The fact that they're hiding the Pre 2 and 2.0 from the consuming public would seem to indicate one of two things:
    1.) HP is a crazyhouse - their huge investments into the webOS and cloud services were not a strategic investment into a future built around mobile computing but a fluke and the new leadership thinks it's better to cut losses (at over 4 billion) after half a year than try and make a profit on it. In two months, HP will point at five Pre 2s having been sold in France, kill the Palm division, appoint Bernie Madoff as new CEO and fade into obscurity within a year.
    2.) Something big is coming - big enough to relegate an update by a whole version number to a press release. HP doesn't want the old Palm roadmap, created under money-strapped quasi-startup conditions, to bleed into the public perception of the new hardware and software portfolio when it is presented. They want a clean slate with customers, so they're bumping the original Pre up to the current high-end in innard specs to serve as an inexpensive developer and business device in the future and releasing it as quietly and softly as possible, saying "people who want it: you can have it (with no sim-lock from the HP online store). people who've never heard of it: good for you. Now look away. You'll hear from us through the news media when we want you to."

So, I, too, think that something more than just new hardware is coming whenever HP is ready to announce (with signs pointing to early next year). Remember how Winamp went from version 3 to 5, skipping the 4? This is very speculative, but I keep wondering whether they'll do something like that, going from 2.0 or 2.1 directly to 3.0 or even changing the name entirely. It's not like there's any mindshare connected with the name 'webOS', so a name change to something more marketable might work wonders.

A flowerier, less technical name might capture the public interest more readily - or, in fact, in view of the public reaction to Palm's previous "wussy" marketing, something more placatively masculine. Killdozer OS? With devices made from rusted iron, and no curves anywhere. Please no more mirrors: I like the one in my Pre and get good use out of it, but the constant crossfire from sexually insecure boys on the internet discussing whether the mirror makes it a "girl's phone" (and asserting that a phone called 'Pixi' will make male users homosexual within minutes of booting) only serves to steer other sexually insecure boys - an integral part of the electronic gadget market - away from the platform, which is not a good thing.
    There goes Joseph the dreamer...
    Wake up rmausser your sleep typing again...hahaha....lol.
    IMHO they need to have most of that stuff in 2.1 or the user base will go nuts.
    I'll go through these one-by-one:
    Well, we all know these are needed, so my comment is: I agree!
    I think they already have this... Rod Whitby said that it requires qt for Luna now and that he just needs someone -- ANYONE, to confirm that the CPU usage is very, very low for Luna, and it means it is GPU accelerated
    I hope they make this, but I am not sure they will. I doubt there will be an API for voice recognition, but if they had that, it would open up a whole slew of apps from indie developers (i.e. people without $10,000+ to spend on a recognition algorithm)
    -Voice to Text message
    Goes with the above. If they have an API for voice recognition, I will make an app for it immediately
    I wish they'd get this out ASAP. Currently we can make something for each of our apps, but that requires that the app be running, while this should enable you to "push" a message to the system with the launch parameters, thereby enabling Neato! (used as an example) to receive the links without it running in the background
    I doubt they'll get this out -- but there are tons of things in development, some moreso than others, and others with more features than others (hint... hint... I've got a pretty big idea for this that will be killer)
    If they want to add free turn-by-turn navigation, they cannot use Google Maps. Plain and simple. Google's terms outlaw it, and the fact Google has been pretty pathetic with regards to the map app so far, I think Palm will have trouble working this out with them. The other problem is that both major map systems, Google Maps and Bing Maps, are owned by competitors to Palm.
    Who knows, they may just get this one right now that the maker of NaNPlayer works for Palm.
    Palm will never add widgets. It is too Android for webOS.
    In the US, it is Verizon only. I don't know if it can legally be added to any non-Verizon devices anywhere in the world because I don't know if Verizon has worldwide exclusivity or just regional exclusivity.
    I doubt they'll have flash inside apps -- I don't even think Adobe wants this. It is too CPU intensive. BUT people can use HaXe to make their apps from flash, as it is fairly resource friendly.
    They need to update webkit, yes. But that also requires that they first ensure that the latest version doesn't cause trouble with Luna, IPC, or Mojo. Oh, and it looks like they updated the webkit library with the latest webOS, based on the file size difference I noticed between the 2.0 library (SFR doctor) and 1.4.5 library (device)
    Again, this is definitely something I agree with. If they want to be more enterprise friendly, they need to add some more enterprise features. Same with being consumer friendly.
    I'll bet this comes with the next phone
    They'll probably have their own in version higher than 2.0. The PDF viewer app is made by DataViz (now a RIM company) and it still exists in 2.0 (according to the SFR doctor). Maybe this will come in the next update to 2.0, but nobody knows but Palm.
    This would be nice.
    Again, this would be nice
    Maybe for apps above $10, but you can pretty much finish some apps within that 24 hour period (things like games). Also, if you purchased it knowing it wasn't great (i.e. bad reviews), it is your own fault. This is the same as buying a 60" HDTV (or even 3DTV with glasses) for the Superbowl (or some major sporting event in your country) and returning it the next day. You got the use you intended but you essentially stole it.
    I hope they bring something to the table for this, but I have no idea.
    -Animated Backgrounds
    It would be interesting, but I doubt they'll have this without spending months working on ensuring it is resource efficient (so as to not kill the battery)
    I doubt they'll include this, but I bet Jason Robitaille is making a copy of Internalz for the App Catalog.
    I doubt this can happen outside of Palm just yet, but maybe it can go to the App Catalog.
    That depends on whether or not Palm actually feels they need this. Plus, Graffiti wouldn't be all that great on a capacitive screen anyways (terrible at precision compared to resistive, which has its own limitations).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    For all of this functionality in a version update may not be realistic but since when has wishing been realistic. This sounds more like a spec for HP webOS 3.0
    If they wait until WebOS 3.0 for this functionality, its too late.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I am on I believe my 5th Pre.......... yesterday my on/off button gave up the ghost. Did the paper trick and works somewhat fine, "different" push feel now. Close to #6?... could be.
    If Palm/HP cannot put out hard ware that is sturdy, then WebOS iteration "10" would not make a difference to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjaakb View Post
    I am on I believe my 5th Pre.......... yesterday my on/off button gave up the ghost. Did the paper trick and works somewhat fine, "different" push feel now.
    Just as a side note, if you use a thin rubber band (cut to the right size) instead, it feels almost identical.
  11.    #11  
    Stay on topic please, this has nothing to do with hardware.
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    2.) Something big is coming - big enough to relegate an update by a whole version number to a press release. HP doesn't want the old Palm roadmap, created under money-strapped quasi-startup conditions, to bleed into the public perception of the new hardware and software portfolio when it is presented. They want a clean slate with customers, so they're bumping the original Pre up to the current high-end in innard specs to serve as an inexpensive developer and business device in the future and releasing it as quietly and softly as possible, saying "people who want it: you can have it (with no sim-lock from the HP online store). people who've never heard of it: good for you. Now look away. You'll hear from us through the news media when we want you to."

So, I, too, think that something more than just new hardware is coming whenever HP is ready to announce (with signs pointing to early next year). Remember how Winamp went from version 3 to 5, skipping the 4? This is very speculative, but I keep wondering whether they'll do something like that, going from 2.0 or 2.1 directly to 3.0 or even changing the name entirely. It's not like there's any mindshare connected with the name 'webOS', so a name change to something more marketable might work wonders.

A flowerier, less technical name might capture the public interest more readily - or, in fact, in view of the public reaction to Palm's previous "wussy" marketing, something more placatively masculine. Killdozer OS? With devices made from rusted iron, and no curves anywhere. Please no more mirrors: I like the one in my Pre and get good use out of it, but the constant crossfire from sexually insecure boys on the internet discussing whether the mirror makes it a "girl's phone" (and asserting that a phone called 'Pixi' will make male users homosexual within minutes of booting) only serves to steer other sexually insecure boys - an integral part of the electronic gadget market - away from the platform, which is not a good thing.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

I agree with all of this except the name change.

WebOS is the ONE thing that the tech industry loves about Palm devices.

I think it has huge brand recognition amongst the techies and the tech blogs.

Its the last thing I would change. I would get rid of the Palm brand before the WebOS brand, and the Pixi and Pre name.

WebOS is the only brand identity from Palm that the average tech nerd still appreciates.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I'll go through these one-by-one:

Well, we all know these are needed, so my comment is: I agree!

I think they already have this... Rod Whitby said that it requires qt for Luna now and that he just needs someone -- ANYONE, to confirm that the CPU usage is very, very low for Luna, and it means it is GPU accelerated

I hope they make this, but I am not sure they will. I doubt there will be an API for voice recognition, but if they had that, it would open up a whole slew of apps from indie developers (i.e. people without $10,000+ to spend on a recognition algorithm)

Goes with the above. If they have an API for voice recognition, I will make an app for it immediately

I wish they'd get this out ASAP. Currently we can make something for each of our apps, but that requires that the app be running, while this should enable you to "push" a message to the system with the launch parameters, thereby enabling Neato! (used as an example) to receive the links without it running in the background

I doubt they'll get this out -- but there are tons of things in development, some moreso than others, and others with more features than others (hint... hint... I've got a pretty big idea for this that will be killer)

If they want to add free turn-by-turn navigation, they cannot use Google Maps. Plain and simple. Google's terms outlaw it, and the fact Google has been pretty pathetic with regards to the map app so far, I think Palm will have trouble working this out with them. The other problem is that both major map systems, Google Maps and Bing Maps, are owned by competitors to Palm.

Who knows, they may just get this one right now that the maker of NaNPlayer works for Palm.

Palm will never add widgets. It is too Android for webOS.

In the US, it is Verizon only. I don't know if it can legally be added to any non-Verizon devices anywhere in the world because I don't know if Verizon has worldwide exclusivity or just regional exclusivity.

I doubt they'll have flash inside apps -- I don't even think Adobe wants this. It is too CPU intensive. BUT people can use HaXe to make their apps from flash, as it is fairly resource friendly.

They need to update webkit, yes. But that also requires that they first ensure that the latest version doesn't cause trouble with Luna, IPC, or Mojo. Oh, and it looks like they updated the webkit library with the latest webOS, based on the file size difference I noticed between the 2.0 library (SFR doctor) and 1.4.5 library (device)

Again, this is definitely something I agree with. If they want to be more enterprise friendly, they need to add some more enterprise features. Same with being consumer friendly.

I'll bet this comes with the next phone

They'll probably have their own in version higher than 2.0. The PDF viewer app is made by DataViz (now a RIM company) and it still exists in 2.0 (according to the SFR doctor). Maybe this will come in the next update to 2.0, but nobody knows but Palm.

This would be nice.

Again, this would be nice

Maybe for apps above $10, but you can pretty much finish some apps within that 24 hour period (things like games). Also, if you purchased it knowing it wasn't great (i.e. bad reviews), it is your own fault. This is the same as buying a 60" HDTV (or even 3DTV with glasses) for the Superbowl (or some major sporting event in your country) and returning it the next day. You got the use you intended but you essentially stole it.

I hope they bring something to the table for this, but I have no idea.

It would be interesting, but I doubt they'll have this without spending months working on ensuring it is resource efficient (so as to not kill the battery)

I doubt they'll include this, but I bet Jason Robitaille is making a copy of Internalz for the App Catalog.

I doubt this can happen outside of Palm just yet, but maybe it can go to the App Catalog.

That depends on whether or not Palm actually feels they need this. Plus, Graffiti wouldn't be all that great on a capacitive screen anyways (terrible at precision compared to resistive, which has its own limitations).
    When and if you make voice to text, I will definitely donate because I'd love to have that!
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    For all of this functionality in a version update may not be realistic but since when has wishing been realistic. This sounds more like a spec for HP webOS 3.0 or HP webOS 2.1 thru 2.5. You mentioned Skype for newer devices. How about other features to leverage new hardware such as: HDMI resolution, memory expansion, compass, IR remote controls, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth sync, etc...

You can forget about memory expansion, everything is all about syncing to the "cloud" now.
  16. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I'd like to see them release the api for the built-in solar charging cells under the screen.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    How about when on the home screen tapping the gesture are brings up the launcher, the launcher icon is only optional and swiping up from gesture area on the homescreen displays a widget screen you can simply close by swiping up again.
  18. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Came up with a couple today while reviewing some pictures on my Pre.

#1 How about the ability to move (or reorganize) the photos in the photo viewer? Kinda like how we move icons on the launcher.

#2 idea: when viewing a photo have option to run a slideshow of pictures.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    What I really want is PIM functionality that rivals PalmOS (with a little bit of Agendus thrown in).
    Last edited by RafRol; 11/18/2010 at 01:12 AM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    Came up with a couple today while reviewing some pictures on my Pre.

#1 How about the ability to move (or reorganize) the photos in the photo viewer? Kinda like how we move icons on the launcher.

#2 idea: when viewing a photo have option to run a slideshow of pictures.
    Both of these are actually available in WebOS 2.0!

Lucky you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast