Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    They need to update webkit, yes. But that also requires that they first ensure that the latest version doesn't cause trouble with Luna, IPC, or Mojo. Oh, and it looks like they updated the webkit library with the latest webOS, based on the file size difference I noticed between the 2.0 library (SFR doctor) and 1.4.5 library (device)
    Do you mean the "libWebKitLuna.so" file in /use/lib?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Ok, so I might be jumping the gun here, but to me it makes sense because of this:

Palm was making WebOS 2.0 before the acquisition by HP, so imo, WebOS 2.5 is going to have all the features that are being implemented by the 200+ new HP employees working at Palm.

In my opinion, thats when we will see a lot of new features. It has been said that while 2.0 is a great new OS in terms of the overall picture, it still is lacking in features: hardly any of the apps were actually updated in any way.

2.0 is the new framework, and 2.5 (or whatever the number will be) will showcase the new features.

So this is what I am looking forward to in WebOS 2.5:

-Camera and Mic API (if they arent in 2.0 already)
    -FULL GPU Acceleration for Luna!
    -Voice commands and voice recognition
    -Voice to Text message
    -Mojo Push Notifications service
    -Wifi File Transfer from PC
    -Better GPS app (maybe not even Google Maps) with Street View, Turn by Turn navigation etc.
    -Better Music app (ala Music Remix 2.0) with Nutsie integration
    -Hidden Widgets (none of that "all over my screen like a fly on a windshield" Android crap)
    -Skype Video chat (for some newer devices )
    -Newer SDK with Flash/Adobe AIR app support.
    -Better Web Browser support (updated WebKit)
    -Updated email app (ala Email Megamix)
    -Updated Calendar app (ala UberCalendar) with agenda view.
    -720P recording and Zoom in the camera
    -Updated PDF app that actually works.
    -Updated Youtube app with login.
    -More video and audio codec support
    -Ability to try apps for 24 hours with refund
    -Save/Restore like app or update to Palm Profile so more things are saved.
    -Animated Backgrounds
    -Internalz like file manager app.
    -Mode Switcher like automation app.
    -Graffiti stylus recognition input

I know its a lot to ask for by 2.5 but a) HP needs to play catchup and b) a lot of these things are already there and available, having been created by the WebOS Internals team. HP should just donate $$ each time they scoop up a feature and implement it into the stock WebOS.

Is there anything you want to come out in WebOS 2.5?
    Your completely right that 2.0 is what Palm was working on. It is a sad fact that if it wasn't for HP, we probably would have only gotten the Pre 2 and maybe another device with features lacking, isn't? Lets hope HP starts helps Palm deliver products that are amazing! And also, the 720P video recording is something that would have to change in hardware as well. Not just software.

Ok, so I might be jumping the gun here, but to me it makes sense because of this:

Palm was making WebOS 2.0 before the acquisition by HP, so imo, WebOS 2.5 is going to have all the features that are being implemented by the 200+ new HP employees working at Palm.

In my opinion, thats when we will see a lot of new features. It has been said that while 2.0 is a great new OS in terms of the overall picture, it still is lacking in features: hardly any of the apps were actually updated in any way.

2.0 is the new framework, and 2.5 (or whatever the number will be) will showcase the new features.

So this is what I am looking forward to in WebOS 2.5:

-Camera and Mic API (if they arent in 2.0 already)
    -FULL GPU Acceleration for Luna!
    -Voice commands and voice recognition
    -Voice to Text message
    -Mojo Push Notifications service
    -Wifi File Transfer from PC
    -Better GPS app (maybe not even Google Maps) with Street View, Turn by Turn navigation etc.
    -Better Music app (ala Music Remix 2.0) with Nutsie integration
    -Hidden Widgets (none of that "all over my screen like a fly on a windshield" Android crap)
    -Skype Video chat (for some newer devices )
    -Newer SDK with Flash/Adobe AIR app support.
    -Better Web Browser support (updated WebKit)
    -Updated email app (ala Email Megamix)
    -Updated Calendar app (ala UberCalendar) with agenda view.
    -720P recording and Zoom in the camera
    -Updated PDF app that actually works.
    -Updated Youtube app with login.
    -More video and audio codec support
    -Ability to try apps for 24 hours with refund
    -Save/Restore like app or update to Palm Profile so more things are saved.
    -Animated Backgrounds
    -Internalz like file manager app.
    -Mode Switcher like automation app.
    -Graffiti stylus recognition input

I know its a lot to ask for by 2.5 but a) HP needs to play catchup and b) a lot of these things are already there and available, having been created by the WebOS Internals team. HP should just donate $$ each time they scoop up a feature and implement it into the stock WebOS.

Is there anything you want to come out in WebOS 2.5?
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I've actually been thinking the same thing. HP have made a strategic decision with webOS and I take their 'doubling down' comment seriously, especially since they started pumping people into the Palm division.
    I didn't want to quote the entire post, but I completely agree with everything besides the whole WebOS name change. WebOS is an amazing brand, as stated below. But I think jumping from 2.0 to 3.0 would show dedication from HP for Palm and that would be a good thing.

I agree with all of this except the name change.

WebOS is the ONE thing that the tech industry loves about Palm devices.

I think it has huge brand recognition amongst the techies and the tech blogs.

Its the last thing I would change. I would get rid of the Palm brand before the WebOS brand, and the Pixi and Pre name.

WebOS is the only brand identity from Palm that the average tech nerd still appreciates.
    Yes, I think removing the Palm name would be a good thing. Maybe rename them or something. Palm fans wont like it if they become HP, but if they rename them something else that be cool.
    Last edited by astraith; 11/25/2010 at 09:00 AM.
    I see the option to run a slideshow, but not to reorder options
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12