1.    #1  
    This isn't all thought out yet. The question churning is this. Why would the carriers promote a phone that is available on the other net works?

AT&T can promote the I-phone. It is promoting their network at the same time.

Big-Red the same for the Droid line. You can't get it on any other network.

Sprint with the Evo thing.

Sure Android OS is all over the networks, but the popular to the mouth breathing public see's I-Phone, Droid and Evo. The Pre and Pixi are the same across all the networks (ok Sprint doesn't have the plus). For any network to advertise the Pre would promote the other networks phones.

To that end, HP-Palm has to promote the Pre themselves. Or, come out with network specific models like Samsung has done with the Galaxy series.

That's my two cents.
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, AT&T Centro, Palm Pre Plus (AT&T), HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note (Sigh).
    I wondered this with the Sprint exclusivity when the Pre first came out. Verizon was quick to "announce" they were getting it the following January. In my mind, a carrier will promote a phone that's available on other networks so that they don't lose customers to that network. I think it worked for Verizon. They effectively stopped many people from jumping ship to Sprint because those customers knew the Pre would arrive on their network "soon".
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I wondered this with the Sprint exclusivity when the Pre first came out. Verizon was quick to "announce" they were getting it the following January. In my mind, a carrier will promote a phone that's available on other networks so that they don't lose customers to that network. I think it worked for Verizon. They effectively stopped many people from jumping ship to Sprint because those customers knew the Pre would arrive on their network "soon".
    I was one of those who waited for the Pre to come to Verizon (got a launch day Pre Plus) because of the announcement that it would come to Verizon. Verizon also advertised the Pre Plus for a short while until the Droid came out. I think the advertising for a while will be up to HP and Palm until new cross carrier hardware comes out.
    Last edited by not-yet-pre; 11/07/2010 at 06:34 PM.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by SDoo1965 View Post
    AT&T can promote the I-phone. It is promoting their network at the same time.
    I don't think AT&T advertises the iPhone. Apple handles that themselves.
  5.    #5  
    AT&T doesn't do commercials, but it sure is an I-Phone wonderland when you walk into a store.
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, AT&T Centro, Palm Pre Plus (AT&T), HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note (Sigh).
    Quote Originally Posted by SDoo1965 View Post
    AT&T doesn't do commercials, but it sure is an I-Phone wonderland when you walk into a store.
    Perhaps we are experiencing different AT&T stores. First, AT&T does not, and has never advertised the iPhone. Second, AT&T reps do not try to sell the iPhone. AT&T has been trying to sell everything except the iPhone for three years. The simple fact is people walk into the AT&T store with their minds set on buying iPhones.

I have been in an AT&T store a few times over the past three years for various reason that didn't have anything to do with a phone. Their iPhone display does not reflect their iPhone sales in any way. They almost seem disappointed to sell another iPhone. I suspect commissions are low. They would rather sell people anything else. They just can't.

The iPhone's popularity has nothing to do with AT&T; that's the iPhone's main weakness.
    I believe even though Palm had introduce the palm pre to Sprint.. they should have done better marketing with their phones. Limited advertisement and bad hardware was one of the reason why the palm pre sales was not as successful as palm and sprint had anticipated.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

The iPhone's popularity has nothing to do with AT&T; that's the iPhone's main weakness.
    Really? I have a Pre on AT&T. Standing next to me is a friend with an Iphone and I'm on the web and his not.

Apple has a scape goat for a poor communications device. I will love it when the Iphone gets on Big Red with the same issues.