1.    #1  
    Hello, everyone. I have a newbie question. Will the soon the be coming update to WebOS 2.0 make my current Palm Pre Plus quicker or slow things down a bit? I've seen the side by side video with the current Palm Pre Plus verus the new Palm Pre Plus 2, and the newer phone with the faster processor is quite a bit faster. I was just wondering what the new update to 2.0 will do to my current speed rate of my older Palm Pre Plus which at times can labor a bit. Thanks in advance to all that reply.
    WebOS 2.0 should run more efficiently on older hardware.
    Palm wont give you an update that will make your phone slow. 2.0 is supposed to be making changes to make better use of the battery and processor. So, in other words, we should see a speed increase with 2.0. Probably not as fast as the Pre 2 but faster than our Pres now.
    Quote Originally Posted by tennistim777 View Post
    Hello, everyone. I have a newbie question. Will the soon the be coming update to WebOS 2.0 make my current Palm Pre Plus quicker or slow things down a bit? I've seen the side by side video with the current Palm Pre Plus verus the new Palm Pre Plus 2, and the newer phone with the faster processor is quite a bit faster. I was just wondering what the new update to 2.0 will do to my current speed rate of my older Palm Pre Plus which at times can labor a bit. Thanks in advance to all that reply.
    As for as speed... You might not see any difference, because the pre/plus will continue to run on a slower processor than the pre 2. However, webos 2.0 should make the phone run a lot better.
    this isn't android.
    palm will release updates only if they see that it actually benefits the device(s)
    From what I have read, webOS 2.0 should speed up some functions. Palm claims that they have optimized the code and the video below shows a speed increase “sometimes” when comparing webOS 2.0 on a Pre 2 and an overclocked Pre Plus.
    http://www.precentral.net/webos-20-v...ed-tests-video
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I've been wondering the same thing. I hope it speeds up when opening apps, that's all I really care about Lol. And if battery life is better with 2.0 I'd be back at 1ghz again!
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    From what I have read, webOS 2.0 should speed up some functions. Palm claims that they have optimized the code and the video below shows a speed increase “sometimes” when comparing webOS 2.0 on a Pre 2 and an overclocked Pre Plus.
    http://www.precentral.net/webos-20-v...ed-tests-video
    But the Pre Plus didnt have 2.0 on it. He was just showing the speed different between the pre 2 and overclocked pre plus. WebOS 2.0 should make some things a bit more snappy on a pre plus.
    I couldn't imagine it would make our phones run slower or worse...

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  10. JKM
    I also hope that 2.0 will be faster.

However:
    From my (25 years) experience with computers, I know that new system versions almost always
    need faster hardware and will run slow on older hardware.
    The reason simply is that newer software is more complex, needs more memory, etc.
    So I would not expect 2.0 to be faster on the old devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post

However:
    From my (25 years) experience with computers, I know that new system versions almost always
    The reason simply is that newer software is more complex, needs more memory, etc.
    Do you work within the Windows environment or linux?

In the Linux environment new versions almost always mean faster and more optimized unless its bringing about some huge UI overhaul or something.

WebOS runs on Linux...not Windows. So you might not be used to how an 'update' operates.
    I believe 2.0 will make older devices faster, but really only the Plus version will benifit from it alot. Saying that because the Pre plus has the same amount of ram as the Pre 2 (even though the MHz on the ram is bumped a bit on the pre 2), and being able to OC the plus's again things will be more optimized. Its like the Hero when I had that and it was updated with 2.0 it ran really better, and were talking about 2.0 that was for a 1ghz nexus 1. So yes even on older devices (pre minus) the 2.0 will make it a more efficient, faster phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post

However:
    i myself have over a decade of experiances with operating systems, more with windows though. I also upgrade computers right now, which ironicly makes even computers like a Gateway E3000 running 1.6ghz and 512mb ram upgrade from XP to windows 7 ultimate and it now runs circles around every other E machine I have in my office thats running XP or Vista. So old hardware doesnt always mean it will be insufficent, and unable to run a upgraded version when compared to a better equipped model.